Texas Hunting Forum

I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please

Posted By: Gacman

I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/14/16 02:52 AM

2 will be used for surveillance on the ranch, the 3rd for a game camera. I'm so tired of being robbed.

I've found models from Bushnell, Covert, and Spartan, all in the $400+ range.

Before I pull the trigger I know any feedback from the forum could be invaluable.

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions.
Posted By: Hymer

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/14/16 02:57 AM

I have the spartan and so far I'm really happy with it. Trouble free, good pics, and good battery life.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/14/16 03:30 AM

I have had the bushnells and the covert.
I find the bushnells the easiest to use, and sign up for since you don't have to go sign up for a SIM card.
The also work great.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/14/16 06:10 AM

Bushnells are around $329 on Amazon. Solar panel adds around $80. That's what we use.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/14/16 12:12 PM

Sent u a PM.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/14/16 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
I have had the bushnells and the covert.
I find the bushnells the easiest to use, and sign up for since you don't have to go sign up for a SIM card.
The also work great.

I have had a bushnell for over two years works awesome I use it at my house now for security
Can't wait to get another for hunting
Posted By: Zach S

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/14/16 02:17 PM

Haven't had much luck with my Bushnell on my land in Mason.
On the other hand, I've been running two HCO Spartan cams for two years with no issues what so ever.
I will probably buy my dad one this year for Christmas as he is always talking about them.

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/14/16 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Zach S
Haven't had much luck with my Bushnell on my land in Mason.
On the other hand, I've been running two HCO Spartan cams for two years with no issues what so ever.
I will probably buy my dad one this year for Christmas as he is always talking about them.

What kind of issues have you had?
Posted By: slippinaround

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/14/16 11:48 PM

I have 3 of the Spartan's---I have run 2 of them continuously for over a year now as security at my ranch. The 3rd we just purchased and for now I'm using it as a trail camera...once hunting season is over I will use it for security as well. No issues with any of them. You can program them to take random pics at certain times throughout the day without them being set off by movement...I use this feature just to check on things every day. I have them all programmed to send me a text and email and I put a certain tone for them on my phone so I know its a camera when I get it. Really worth the piece of mind
Posted By: glocker17

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/15/16 12:28 AM

I have owned 3-
Moultrie Modem - too expensive to operate as they charge based on data.
Bushnell - I thought it worked well but price was to high, I returned it and bought the covert and put $140 in my pocket. I think the Covert App is great and their thumbnails have great resolution.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/15/16 02:27 AM

I have a covert and am loving it after using it. Solar panel is a must, and their app is pretty awesome. Will be purchasing another next year.
Posted By: nehntr

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/15/16 03:01 AM

I have
3 covert Blackhawk Verizon cams
1 Bushnell
2 Spartans

Coverts have better battery life but 4 months on lithiums $20 a month (so far I am getting 6 months battery life with 12 v deer feeder battery and lithium batts with cable from covert)
Bushnell doesn't give best pictures. $15 a month
Spartans give best pics but batteries last 2 months. $5 a month as an extra device on my Verizon acct

#1 reliability is spartan plus $5 a month instead of $20
#2 covert battery life great but don't like app and pics not quite as good although close
#3 Bushnell poor pics but battery life is ok.

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/15/16 03:28 AM

Man great reviews. Thank you all for posting. As soon as I can get some free time from work I'll figure out what to buy.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/15/16 07:02 PM

I have Stealthcam GXW....pictures are pretty good quality. Battery life depends on how many pictures, but I usually get 3 months. I bought the rechargeable 12V battery packs and solar chargers. All the settings you can configure from your phone remotely. I'm happy with it.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/15/16 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Hymer
I have the spartan and so far I'm really happy with it. Trouble free, good pics, and good battery life.

My spartan has horrible battery life. Lasts like 9 days.
Posted By: slippinaround

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/15/16 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

Try using a different type of battery. I was getting about 3 weeks out of mine then i switched to amazon basics rechargeable and they are going on 2 mths now without hardly anything drawn. See link below. I ordered the 48 pack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O869KJ...le+aa+batteries
Posted By: cameron00

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/15/16 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: slippinaround
Originally Posted By: cameron00

Try using a different type of battery. I was getting about 3 weeks out of mine then i switched to amazon basics rechargeable and they are going on 2 mths now without hardly anything drawn. See link below. I ordered the 48 pack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O869KJ...le+aa+batteries

Thanks, will have to try that.
Posted By: JeremyKS

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/18/16 05:34 PM

Check out the Browning cameras. I have about 25 of them and have great luck with them.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/18/16 08:03 PM

Get rechargeable batteries and hook up a solar panel to whatever you get. Then battery life isn't an issue.
Posted By: TxAggie10

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 12/19/16 12:27 AM

Love my Spartan camera. Previously tried SkyPoint and quickly returned it. Battery life on my Spartan was 2 weeks until I turned off real time data. I'm on week 3 on this set of batteries. I did purchase a solar panel off of Amazon today and a long range antenna since some of our property has cellular signal issues. I have a friend running this setup and he has had great results with the solar panel and the antenna even in places where his phone has no service.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 01/02/17 05:38 AM

My covert is buggy. I have mine set on real-time. Half the time I get an alert saying I have 8 new photos. Doesn't matter as long as your not waiting on a text to walk in and shoot a pig. Plus to be able to view the picture requires decent cell service. I dont have 4G at my deer leases, half the time I cant even view the pictures, if I am there.

I have a few spartans, and they send an actual txt message. which is nice bc a 40-50kb thumbnail will send even on 2 bars 3G. They have an app to to help organize the photos by camera. The app also allows access to change settings as well..
Posted By: jaygillespie

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 01/06/17 10:31 PM

Use Lithium batteries for longer life.
external with solar is the way to go!

For wireless check out Snyper Hunting Products, I have 2 and love them, Can use your own phone plan will text and/or email or they have a great price on unlimited plans. They are at Dallas safari Club booth 762. I stopped by yesterday to see James.
He has great customer service
Posted By: mustafa

Re: I need help choosing 3 wireless game cameras please - 01/08/17 04:13 AM

not sure if you could point which stuff you bough exactly? I am dumb to this stuff.
Originally Posted By: TxAggie10
Love my Spartan camera. Previously tried SkyPoint and quickly returned it. Battery life on my Spartan was 2 weeks until I turned off real time data. I'm on week 3 on this set of batteries. I did purchase a solar panel off of Amazon today and a long range antenna since some of our property has cellular signal issues. I have a friend running this setup and he has had great results with the solar panel and the antenna even in places where his phone has no service.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum