Texas Hunting Forum

Snake boots/snake guards

Posted By: Captain Luke

Snake boots/snake guards - 12/09/16 09:02 PM

How many of you wear either of them? And if you do, do ever not wear them?
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/09/16 09:05 PM

I wear boots and just about all season, not really for snakes as much as they turn mesquites and cactus pretty well.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/09/16 09:21 PM

I have been wearing them year round ever since I ran into a big rattler in cold weather in December some years back. Since then, I've run into a number of them in cold weather over the years.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/09/16 09:25 PM

I wear snake boots most of the year on my ranch...when it gets really cold, and I'm staying in the cleared areas, I will wear regular boots. If I venture out into the brush, I put them on. I have a father in law that has diabetes and can't feel his legs very well...he probably wouldn't know if he got bit...he is required to snake guards year round, no matter what!
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/09/16 11:51 PM

My snake boots gradually became my hunting/work boots. Warm, waterproof, and protect my shins when I run into stuff in the dark.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/09/16 11:55 PM

Anytime I'm outdoors and it 39 or higher.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/10/16 12:14 AM

Just takes once up
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/10/16 12:29 AM

I never wore snake boots until this year and that's only because the Hospital is over an hour away. I got bit by a Cotton Mouth about 12 years ago on the inner thigh, never want to relive that.

I now wear them all the time at the lease, as soon as I hit the front gate until I leave the front gate. October I jumped out of the truck and stepped on a rattler, he was pissed but hauled butt rather than strike, I was damn glad I had my boots on
Posted By: samh

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/10/16 03:20 AM

I had to drag a buck nearly a half a mile on a drawn public land hunt on a rainy dark night, half of it was up hill, all of it was thru prickly pear and about 10 other kinds of cactus. I pulled cactus needles from my knee caps and half way up my thighs for a week. If I was not wearing my snake/hunting boots I would still be pulling them out. I swear by them...just bought another pair online from Academy pretty decent price on them and American Made!!!
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/12/16 02:15 AM

I wear them all year. Mine are water proof as well.
Posted By: TxDox21

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/18/16 12:46 PM

I wear them when it's warm, but I know I should wear the all the time on one of the places I hunt.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 12/18/16 02:12 PM

Snake boots are work boots... up
Posted By: Leroy1989

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 01/07/17 03:41 AM

I wear it all the time in my hunting trip.
You'll feel worse when went home with a snake bite during hunting trips.
Snakes also really dangerous if you do not know how to treat
I have a blog to talk about the importance of "Snake boots". You can read it, I hope that it will be useful to you
https://www.roamoutdoor.com/best-snake-proof-boots-for-hiking-hunting-reviews/ food
Posted By: jimmyboy

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 01/08/17 01:35 PM

I bought a pair of Chips last year because at 68 my eye sight and reflexes are not what theu use to be. If at the lease I am wearing them. They are actually becoming the most comfortable boots I have. Good topic.

James
Posted By: rborn

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 01/24/17 02:37 AM

I've had 2 different pair of Lacrosse. The lace up / side zip pair was great, but the pull on cowboy boot style pair failed on me (inside ripped out)on the 5th time wearing them. Just bought a pair of Chips yesterday, and they are by far the best ones I've worn.

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 01/24/17 04:15 AM

Like others, mine are now my work boots.
Posted By: Texpolo1106

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 02/05/17 01:28 AM

Pretty much wear my Chippewas year round, unless it's really muddy.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 02/05/17 04:46 AM

I have two pairs of Chippewas and wear them whenever I'm at the lease. My next pair of chipps will be waterproof.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 02/09/17 05:16 AM

I got a set of Rattlers Brand original snake chaps that have knee to ankle protection and full protection from briars that are camo from Carter's Country off I-10 for $79.99 and they have side zippers to get them on over your boots. They have adjustable nylon webbing straps with clips on them so you can have them hang on your belt or your belt loop on your pants. For snake boots I have lacrosse Lynx knee high boots which are comfortable once you break them in. I got those boots because they were not leather so I wouldn't have to worry about scent and they would be easier to wipe down and dry. They have side zippers but I don't bother with them and just stick to lacing them up. I skipped over the set of eyes near the ankle till they were broken in because they would irritate the hell out of my ankle. No matter how thick my socks were, they would kill my ankles. I also used ace bandages around my ankles while I was breaking them in. They have held up fine so far.
Posted By: TexasLandAgent

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 02/21/17 05:16 AM

On my 2nd pair of Chippewas - unparalleled, must haves
Posted By: JEKYLL & HYDE

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 03/10/17 04:00 PM

Hunted in south texas for years and saw tons of rattlers so snake boots became a norm.
Wore Chippewas for years and loved them, but just recently I bought a pair of redheads, which are bass pro shops version of chippewas, theyre considerably cheaper and I actually like them more.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 03/10/17 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasLandAgent
On my 2nd pair of Chippewas - unparalleled, must haves

Wouldn't even consider anything else. I like them more for protecting me from sand stickers and cactus than snakes. up
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 03/11/17 03:29 AM

I wear Rocky brand side zips every time I'm at the lease. When they're done I may see what Chippewas are all about.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 03/25/17 03:03 AM

I have a pair of Russell moccissan company Prickly pare bird shooters...love them,they are not cheap, but have been the best snake boots I have ever owned

Posted By: TexasTan

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 04/13/17 05:34 PM

I've neglected mowing a while at my land. It's going to be snake city next time I go. This is a good reminder that I need some good boots. Thanks.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 04/24/17 02:16 PM

Anyone use snake gaiters over your regular hunting boots?
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 04/24/17 06:55 PM

I wear Chips all year unless it is very cold.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 04/24/17 11:48 PM

I got hit by a rattler a couple weeks ago outside Moran. Academy brand snake boots saved me. Calf high green grass, never rattled. My pistol was in the truck...never again.

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 04/25/17 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo1
I got hit by a rattler a couple weeks ago outside Moran. Academy brand snake boots saved me. Calf high green grass, never rattled. My pistol was in the truck...never again.

I was looking at cutting a trail to a back corner of my place this weekend. Grass is out of control this year, and was walking in stuff up to my thighs, and this exact scenario was running through my mind. I did have my boots on, but still..........
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 05/11/17 09:21 PM

I wear snake boots year-round because they're the boots I have broken in, and I do a lot of still hunting. I agree they're just as useful against cactus & thorns as fangs.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Snake boots/snake guards - 05/17/17 09:18 PM

I've heard Chips are the way to go. I bought a pair of the Danner Jackal's on sale. They've worked great against cactus and the gore-tex has kept my feet dry on dewy morning.

I will say that the next pair I get once these are worn out will be side zip or slip on and sure as heck not lace up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum