Texas Hunting Forum

GPS

Posted By: shea.mcphail

GPS - 11/12/16 02:38 PM

Question on using a GPS during a hunt. I've had to use the GPS on my phone once during a public land hunt. Of course, I couldn't manage to get signal on my phone but found my way back. How much better is it to use a GPS like Garmin than your phone? Do you get better satellite reception from the GPS or what? I just don't want to buy a GPS and get stuck with the same production I'd get from my iphone.

Probably a dumb question, but I'd rather know how the GPS devices work.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: GPS - 11/12/16 11:08 PM

Garmin GPS works great. I have hunted several places out west and also Alaska and have always had satellites. I have a 60CSX which is a older unit that works great. I would get the new model of that unit but I am not sure what the new model number is.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: GPS - 11/12/16 11:12 PM

New model like mine is 64ST. Should work as good if not better.
Posted By: postoak

Re: GPS - 11/13/16 12:04 AM

My Garmin 60CSX worked under the pines of Sam Houston National Forest.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: GPS - 11/16/16 07:25 PM

If you have an Andriod phone, download the free AlpineQuest app. Its a gps hiking app and does not require a cell data signal to work as it can work stand alone off the satellites. You can also make a map of your lease from Google earth and store it on your phone so you have a zoom-able map without using data.
It does waypoints, routes, targets, and a few other things.
It's awesome, accurate, and free! I have zero cell service where I hunt and it works great.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: GPS - 11/16/16 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: TX0303
If you have an Andriod phone, download the free AlpineQuest app. Its a gps hiking app and does not require a cell data signal to work as it can work stand alone off the satellites. You can also make a map of your lease from Google earth and store it on your phone so you have a zoom-able map without using data.
It does waypoints, routes, targets, and a few other things.
It's awesome, accurate, and free! I have zero cell service where I hunt and it works great.

Thanks for the heads up on this app!
Posted By: redhaze

Re: GPS - 11/18/16 12:08 PM

Thanks for the app
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: GPS - 11/18/16 02:49 PM

I use Gaia and onxmaps. If you don't have data coverage, use will need to cache the area on your phone. I did two units in Idaho with out any problem
Posted By: papa45

Re: GPS - 11/19/16 03:39 PM

The answer to the original question is yes, a real GPS talks directly to satellites and does not need a cell signal.

Another question: of the three apps mentioned, can they give you a current position without a cell signal? I didn't think a cellphone could talk directly to satellites.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: GPS - 11/21/16 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: papa45
The answer to the original question is yes, a real GPS talks directly to satellites and does not need a cell signal.

Another question: of the three apps mentioned, can they give you a current position without a cell signal? I didn't think a cellphone could talk directly to satellites.

AlpineQuest does if the phone has GPS antennae. When at the lease, I put my phone on airplane mode and use AlpineQuest just fine.

Re: GPS - 11/21/16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: papa45

Yes. Put your airplane mode on and you can still use google earth and your location. Hence GPS chip in your phone(assume you don't have an old old phone), well I keep a Delorme inReach in my pack also I use it to text and check in in the backcountry

Biggest difference in Stand alone GPS is signal strength and how you get maps(SDcard vs down load vs preload).

I have two garmin standalone GPS's and I pretty much just use my phone now.

Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: GPS - 11/21/16 09:36 PM

I'm right where I knew I would be at this point - Old Garmin, InReach w/GPS, and my phone (paired to the InReach) with about 3 to 4 gps/map apps on it, all in my carry pack; not one of which I have taken the time to learn how to utilize to it's full potential. bang "Pick one dammit!" 'Never been diagnosed, but I suspect it's an ADHD symptom.

Re: GPS - 11/22/16 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I'm right where I knew I would be at this point - Old Garmin, InReach w/GPS, and my phone (paired to the InReach) with about 3 to 4 gps/map apps on it, all in my carry pack; not one of which I have taken the time to learn how to utilize to it's full potential. bang "Pick one dammit!" 'Never been diagnosed, but I suspect it's an ADHD symptom.

Not a fan of the inreach maps. I solely use my inreach for texting but technically it's a back up, to my phone.

UI is a big deal. I like the satellite of the onxmaps, I use it more in the panhandle or if hunting close to private. NF I use Gaia, simplest UI
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: GPS - 11/22/16 03:50 AM

I've always just used my phone, specifically the "Topo Maps" app on iPhone, but I recently picked up a Garmin Oregon and the onXmaps chip for it and I'm a convert.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum