Texas Hunting Forum

Scent Removal

Posted By: shea.mcphail

Scent Removal - 10/24/16 01:12 AM

What is your favorite scent removal for hunting?
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Scent Removal - 10/24/16 01:21 AM

Fresh cow shirt. On your boots not your clothes. muyloco

Re: Scent Removal - 10/24/16 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Fresh cow shirt. On your boots not your clothes. muyloco

Lol!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Scent Removal - 10/24/16 04:50 PM

Removal? I use a cover up spray sometimes but not somethin that will "remove" scent
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Scent Removal - 10/24/16 05:45 PM

Field and Stream did a study a few years ago and found that most scent covers don't work. Best thing is to be downwind of likely animal approaches.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Scent Removal - 10/24/16 09:18 PM

I'd say hunting downwind. But I do spray on cover spray to possibly help out more. I buy the earth scent cover cause it smells like dirt, and I'm in public national forest usually hunting in different positions on ground.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Scent Removal - 10/25/16 06:37 PM

I think, if you get upwind, they will smell you anyway. You can try, but the scent removal stuff never worked for me. I just try to play the wind to my favor.
If you smoke, use a cigarette. You can watch the smoke and see where the wind is blowing and swirling. I don't smoke anymore, so I use those talc wind direction indicator bottles. Someone on here once suggested a bottle of bubbles. I think that's an awesome idea.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Scent Removal - 10/25/16 08:09 PM

I spray down with scent killer before I head out. However once I get to my area I spray my boot soles with coon pee and then spray all the trees around me from my ladder stand with coon pee as a cover scent.

By the time I walk to my spot I am usually sweating especially in bow hunting weather. I think hunting the wind and a good cover scent is your best bet.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Scent Removal - 10/25/16 10:33 PM

I keep all of my hunting clothes in a Hunters Specialties scent bag all year with some fresh earth wafers thrown in. After several months in the bag it will take several washes to get the smell out. I also use the spray when heading in and again when I get to the stand.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Scent Removal - 10/26/16 04:26 PM

Store your hunting clothes in Cedar branches in the bottom of a plastic tote. Keep the wind in your face or at a cross. That's what I do.

Re: Scent Removal - 10/26/16 11:31 PM

Thanks for the responses. I ended up purchasing Scent Killer for laundry detergent. I plan on buying a bag with the earth wafers to keep my hunting clothes in. Great idea.
Posted By: spg

Re: Scent Removal - 10/29/16 03:00 AM

Never bought into the scent cover / killer. The only thing that has proven scientific data is ozonics generator. I spend to much money on guns, ammo, optics, feed, blinds that are air tight, etc. to buy the ozonics.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Scent Removal - 10/29/16 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
Never bought into the scent cover / killer. The only thing that has proven scientific data is ozonics generator. I spend to much money on guns, ammo, optics, feed, blinds that are air tight, etc. to buy the ozonics.

There is a lot of convincing left to do for me to think that something I put in the tree about me kills all my scent. Not for me.
Posted By: spg

Re: Scent Removal - 10/29/16 10:54 PM

DO like the indians, sit in a TP with hot rocks in it until your sweating to death then run out the TP and jump in cold water.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Scent Removal - 10/30/16 01:26 AM

Hiding scent from a deer is like hiding a dog biscuit from a bloodhound. Or blood from a shark.

Unless you've had your anus, taint, armpits, nose and mouth surgically removed, and don't shed dead skin cells or hair, they're gonna smell you.
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: Scent Removal - 10/30/16 05:17 AM

store my clothes in a tub with a fresh cedar branch and some goat weed.
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Scent Removal - 11/10/16 11:03 PM

Luckily, I live right near a processor. I have the guys cut tarsals off and it removes all scent I bring to the table. (It also makes my neck swell if I get too close to it)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum