Texas Hunting Forum

SAFE

Posted By: AP2714

SAFE - 08/28/16 10:59 PM

I'm looking to get a gun safe and need suggestions on brands to stay away from when purchasing. Looking for something to hold 5 long guns, 4 pistols up top, ammo, and possibility of additional purchases in future. I've read reviews on some and seems the locking mechanism gives trouble time to time. My budget is $800.
Posted By: cblackall

Re: SAFE - 08/29/16 01:36 AM

To stay within your budget, you'll be looking at the "big box brands". Cannon, Liberty, Winchester, etc. I've got two Winchester safes that I've been happy with. Plenty here that can offer more specifics on the pro's and con's of each brand, and some that will tell you any of these lower cost safes are as easy to open as a tin can given a skilled thief. But I understand the need to stay in budget. My first piece of advice is one that will be repeated constantly. Buy way bigger than you think you need. For what you've listed, I would go 24 gun minimum. Minimum! It's amazing how fast they fill up once you start stacking scoped rifles or AR's in them. I can tell you, it won't be 24. I would then look at fire ratings, steel thickness and general specifications of each model within your budget and go from there.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: SAFE - 09/04/16 11:39 AM

Tractor Supply had some Canon safes on sale for Labor Day in your price range. Unless you have some super exotic or rare guns, they will be fine. Bolt it securely to the floor. If they can't get the safe down on it's back, it makes it almost impossible get the leverage or angles needed to pry open any safe.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: SAFE - 09/05/16 12:00 AM

Got flyer from BPS today, got sale going on for safes.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: SAFE - 09/05/16 04:09 PM

Liberty Safes!
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: SAFE - 09/05/16 11:44 PM

I really like my Liberty safe.

Get a mechanical lock not an electric

P.S. I have never seen big box stores advertise Liberty safes.
Posted By: Erny

Re: SAFE - 09/05/16 11:56 PM

I have a liberty and I am quite happy with it. Always buy a safe twice as big as you think you will need. It will still not be big enough in 5 years.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: SAFE - 09/06/16 10:04 PM

Hey AP, Gander Mountain has sale. Liberty safe 24 gun 600, 48 gun 900. 30 min. At 1200*.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: SAFE - 09/09/16 09:56 PM

I picked up the 64 gun Cannon from TSC for $999+tax. Its decent for the price. 60 min at 1200*
Posted By: BigPig

Re: SAFE - 09/10/16 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
I really like my Liberty safe.

Get a mechanical lock not an electric

P.S. I have never seen big box stores advertise Liberty safes.

Liberty, very hard to beat the quality for the price
Posted By: Nighteagle

Re: SAFE - 09/11/16 12:27 PM

Save your money and buy a steel locking cabinate from SAMs. It will offer you equal protection as an 800 dollar liberty safe. If you do your research on safes unfortunately you will find I'm correct.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: SAFE - 09/21/16 03:06 AM

If money was not a problem, I think the best gun safe is Browning Gold Medallion. I have had one for many years and it is much heavier than normal safes of the same size and built better. For the price you have in mind I also have a Winchester Silverado safe. It is an excellent safe for the money. I am very happy with mine as well.

I really prefer the old combination dial lock over the electronic lock. I think the electronic lock is much more likely to fail and some smart guy can figure out how to open it.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: SAFE - 09/22/16 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Country01
I picked up the 64 gun Cannon from TSC for $999+tax. Its decent for the price. 60 min at 1200*

I got the same one 2 weeks ago on sale for $799. Seems to be a great safe.

Re: SAFE - 11/14/16 03:09 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, as I'm still deciding. Also, any recommendations on a pistol safe to be used by my bed? I like the design of the velocity vault 500. I just don't know about its quality and functionality.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: SAFE - 11/16/16 08:01 PM

I would stay away from cheap electronic locks on lower end safes, like the TSC ones.

Re: SAFE - 12/04/16 07:13 PM

Anyone use the cabelas provault by liberty? I looked at one and looked nice. They told me at cabelas they didn't have any in stock. It would ship direct from manufacturer with a $175 shipping charge. That's a deal killer, but if I could find one in stock I'd probably buy it.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: SAFE - 12/04/16 08:24 PM

Check Academy, todays ad 36 gun safe cannon force. $549.99 regular $799.99.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: SAFE - 12/04/16 08:30 PM

Fort Knox. No question.
Posted By: buckys

Re: SAFE - 12/06/16 02:48 PM

The Cannon 64-gun safe was on sale at Academy during Black Friday for $599 ($400 off).
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: SAFE - 12/07/16 05:47 PM

I'm in the process of buying a safe, and I'm not impressed with the lower line of Cannon's. While they seem to me the "Safe" criteria they seem cheaply made.
Posted By: Volfy

Re: SAFE - 12/08/16 04:02 PM

To me realistically, gun safes are there to keep firearms away from my kids. That's it. All the fire ratings and burglar proof claims sound nice, but I don't store in them any heirloom grade hardware that are irreplaceable. I take good measure to protect against fire or intrusion, but that's primarily for the safety of my family - not my possessions. If bad things were to happen to my stuff, I'm filin' insurance claim and goin' shoppin'. Last thing I want is stuff baked in a 400deg oven for 1-1/2hrs but still "look" good.

By all means, bolt your safes to the floor. As for size, I like big but not HUGE. IMHO, spreading across 2 or more safes are better than one-prize-net-them-all. Besides, some folks prefer to store ammo and guns separately. Or... stagger the storage so that guns and ammo of the same caliber are in different safes.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: SAFE - 12/23/16 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
Check Academy, todays ad 36 gun safe cannon force. $549.99 regular $799.99.

Costco has this one for $499 this week

Re: SAFE - 12/27/16 05:00 AM

Do any stores stock liberty safes?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum