Texas Hunting Forum

Tranquilizer Dart Gun

Posted By: Upland007

Tranquilizer Dart Gun - 05/15/16 10:29 PM

Anyone on here have one? If so where can I order one? Are they all pretty much the same and how long does it take for the animal to go down?

Thanks,
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Tranquilizer Dart Gun - 05/16/16 03:20 PM

I believe the tranquilizers are controlled narcotics or otherwise are controlled substances. A lot are ophioids. Unless you are a vet or animal control officer, good luck in getting access to the medication. Note that some animal tranquilizers are illegally used by people.

How long it takes the animal to go down depends on numerous variables including the type of tranquilizer, amount, where the animal was injected, type and size of animal, attitude of the animal. They can start to work almost immediately, but generally take a few minutes to take affect as the medication usually is darted into a muscle and then it must disperse from the muscle tissue. This is a much slower process than a direct vein injection as you might get for a surgery (either you or your pet).

The dangers come in what happens between the time of injection and when the medication puts down the animal, whether the animal goes down properly (correct dosage), is killed by the tranquilizer, or isn't tranquilized enough and hurts the human handlers. Improperly tranquilized animals have a nasty habit of waking up at inopportune times.
Posted By: jon9116

Re: Tranquilizer Dart Gun - 05/16/16 10:01 PM

There's a freakin dart in your neck.
Posted By: boxerrider

Re: Tranquilizer Dart Gun - 07/24/16 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I believe the tranquilizers are controlled narcotics or otherwise are controlled substances. A lot are ophioids. Unless you are a vet or animal control officer, good luck in getting access to the medication. Note that some animal tranquilizers are illegally used by people.

I worked for a veterinarian in a small town when I was a teen. The city police had a tranquilizer gun and darts they used sometimes. The vet took a description on the animal they were after and filled a couple of darts in the office. He would go with them to find the animal, and if a dart went unused he brought it back to the office for disposal. These were always feral animals, not large and dangerous wild animals. His opinion was if you could get close enough to hit the animal with the smooth-bore gun, you could probably get it with a noose-stick and be better off. I'm sure tranquilizer gun quality varies with price just like everything else, and your situation may make one feasible.

Jeff
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Tranquilizer Dart Gun - 07/25/16 11:58 PM

pnue dart

google it
Posted By: maximum

Re: Tranquilizer Dart Gun - 07/26/16 02:19 AM

nasco farm and ranch sells that stuff.
it's not cheap.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Tranquilizer Dart Gun - 08/04/16 01:30 PM

Its not cheap and you really have to know what your doing; not so much with getting the dart to hit, but getting the medication right to where it puts the animal down in a manner where you can find it.....and most importantly revive it.
Posted By: ETXRaider

Re: Tranquilizer Dart Gun - 08/11/16 03:19 PM

pneu dart. It's just a dart gun. Can be used for all sorts of things other than tranquilizers.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum