Texas Hunting Forum

Cellular Game Cameras

Posted By: Jinksy

Cellular Game Cameras - 05/13/16 07:14 PM

Any recommendations on Cellular Game Cameras? Seems like one website loves spypoint and another hates them. What is yalls thoughts and experiences with cellular cameras. Has anyone ever used the TruPhone service?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 05/19/16 01:05 AM

Do a search on this forum for "cellular" and I'm sure you'll have lots of reading. I have a Covert Code Black w/ AT&T that works fine for me.

Charlie
Posted By: aeb

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 05/29/16 01:51 AM

My guys have had a dozen Covert Special Ops Code Black 3G cameras running for a couple of seasons. Good pictures and very reliable.
Posted By: muleymaddness

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 05/29/16 01:42 PM

Do the cellular game cameras not take the fun out of it a little? Or do they get burdensome constantly getting text messages with pictures? I'm on the fence about getting one. My place is 2.5 hours away, so it would definitely be nice to monitor the feeder, know if the feeder is still running, etc - but seems like it may take a little of the thrill away. I don't know...
Posted By: aeb

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 05/29/16 02:22 PM

My guys have a private web site and all the pictures are funneled into it
I can go online and view the last 100 pictures. Probably can do some other combinations but that is the only command that I have. I check it daily.
Posted By: StephensCnty308

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 05/31/16 05:21 PM

I'm currently using a spartan go cam with AT&T service. I have had it now for almost one month and I love it!
It basically shows me what's going on at my feeder. I have learned a few things about my property since this camera has been working. Got my first buck text yesterday morning !!!!! You can program it to either text message you or email you or do both. You can also have it send your messages straight to a dropbox and you can log in when you want and view it.
Posted By: BrianCook_RanchSales

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/02/16 02:33 AM

Bushnell Trophy Cam, work great!
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/02/16 02:28 PM

StephensCnty

I have been looking at the Spartan Cams as well and was wondering how you found the process of setting up service with AT&T, and if you have found the cameras to be user friendly out of the box. Our place is in Knox Co and AT&T has weak service in the area so I am considering the Verizon Cam. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: StephensCnty308

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/02/16 06:31 PM

Honestly setting up the Camera is like most any Camera!
Inside the package it offers either a card for AT&T and a number to enter for Verizon.

I have AT&T and I inserted the data card along with a 32mb card for saving pictures.
Basically like picking a service for a phone or iPad.
I do pictures only no video! You can pick how many snap shots you want on the card per shot just like most cameras.

I have only had it a few weeks up and working and I love it.

I have a better understanding now what's going on rather than wondering and having to wait for my next trip out to see what's going on.
Posted By: TEXASTRAPPER

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/02/16 08:02 PM

I've been happy with my Covert but it will drain some batteries. 12 AA lithium's last about 1 month. That's set at 1 minute delay though so a pack of raccoons will get 40-50 pics a night.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/02/16 08:43 PM

As stated, Covert 3G is a great system, and depending on you AT&T plan can be very cheap to operate. It will need a solar panel, a controller, and external battery pack, plus a external power cable.

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/02/16 11:38 PM

Thanks for the info! I was originally considering the Covert 3G but my phone (AT&T) has 1 bar to no service consistently at the ranch. Talking to some of the locals most have Verizon and seem to have decent service in the area. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Covert works with Verizon.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/03/16 01:29 AM

Covert has a Verizon specific camera now.

Charlie

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/03/16 03:32 AM

I will check there web site again. Thanks Charlie!
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/27/16 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: muleymaddness
Do the cellular game cameras not take the fun out of it a little? Or do they get burdensome constantly getting text messages with pictures? I'm on the fence about getting one. My place is 2.5 hours away, so it would definitely be nice to monitor the feeder, know if the feeder is still running, etc - but seems like it may take a little of the thrill away. I don't know...

I don't see them taking the fun out it because it's veery helpful to know what's at the stand as I make my approach in the mornings. It's helped me be successful on hunt situations where I would have otherwise spooked the game away from the area as I approached the stand. It's pretty exciting to see the pic and know its out there or nearby and allows me to wait, change my approach, and try to put on a stalk or make a sudden set up change. For me, that is more exciting than sitting in the blind. It sure helps to not leave scent in the area by checking the cameras. I can leave them in one place for an extended period and not have to worry that I'm leaving scent or making disturbing traffic. I have the Covert Code Black cameras and I will be switching to Coverts' new Windtalkers' that send the pictures and video to an App that you can access from any mobile device. So I won't be getting the same messages via text anymore. I just check my App and choose what I want to download.

You may want to look into their Tree 60 as well. It allows you to set up the camera in different places and at different angles. Even help hide it if you have a problem with trespassers or poachers. It's about $13 for one.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/27/16 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Daddybigbuck
StephensCnty

I have been looking at the Spartan Cams as well and was wondering how you found the process of setting up service with AT&T, and if you have found the cameras to be user friendly out of the box. Our place is in Knox Co and AT&T has weak service in the area so I am considering the Verizon Cam. Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't consider AT&T for anything in Knox county.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 06/27/16 09:19 PM

I picked up a Spypoint Verizon version since my buddy's ATT one didn't work well in my area.

So far I like it. You can change the settings online so you don't have to go out there. Only been two weeks but battery status still says 100% using Lithium Ion batteries. Will get a solar adapter for it the next time out. Service is expensive though. Gotta pay Spypoint and Verizon their monies!
Posted By: Boggyman

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 07/01/16 05:16 PM

On average, what are yall paying per gig of data? I was recently given 3 cameras that run on 2G service. The manufacturer pushes Truphone pretty hard, but after looking into their rates- I gotta find a more cost effective plan.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: Cellular Game Cameras - 07/01/16 06:30 PM

The new covert plan on AT&T is $35.99 for 3 month. For 2 gigs of data. I believe Verizon was little higher on a covert.

Can't answer on any of the other brands
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum