Texas Hunting Forum

Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt

Posted By: Zach S

Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/18/16 02:16 AM

See subject above - headed to Wyoming this fall for opening week and thinking about getting some new boots. Any recs? I have some calf high Danners but rarely wear them here in Texas.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/18/16 05:01 PM

You've got a lot of options, so you might want to help narrow it down some.

Weather expected? Price range? Do you want boots specific to this hunt, or do you intend to multitask them? Do your feet get cold or sweat easily? Terrain expected? Do you want a boot that lasts forever or a boot that is super comfortable and quiet? Etc.
Posted By: Zach S

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/19/16 12:58 AM

No idea on weather as it can vary greatly in Northeast Wyoming in Late October. Assume that 400grams will be sufficient insulation for the boot. Price does not matter. I do intend to multi task them.
Feet definitely get hot easily but I wear smart wool which helps a lot. Terrain will be fairly rough and decent amount of hiking as we are going in via horseback and hunting from spoke camp.
Rather have a boot that is super comfortable and quiet over last forever.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/19/16 03:21 AM

I like Danner Pronghorns.
Posted By: bradtown

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/19/16 03:54 AM

Kenetrek

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/19/16 04:46 AM

My feet sweat easily. My Kenetreks have 400 grams, and I would probably go with none on the next pair, if I ever needed another pair, but even with the Thinsulate they're not too warm. The extra padding is nice. I've had boots that were a little more comfortable, but they weren't nearly as tough. A good pair of upland hunting boots are the most comfortable and quietest boots I've had. They only lasted a few seasons, but they were nice while they lasted. The Kenetreks will last a long time, they're very comfortable, and they're quiet enough for most hunting. For bowhunting, I prefer the upland boots. For rifle hunting, the Kenetreks.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/20/16 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Zachary Symm
See subject above - headed to Wyoming this fall for opening week and thinking about getting some new boots. Any recs? I have some calf high Danners but rarely wear them here in Texas.

Thanks in advance.

Ok quick questions.

Western every year for you or occasionally or one time deal?
Fall or winter?
Pack in or outfitted
High country or low country?
Ankle issues?

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/20/16 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Zachary Symm
No idea on weather as it can vary greatly in Northeast Wyoming in Late October. Assume that 400grams will be sufficient insulation for the boot. Price does not matter. I do intend to multi task them.
Feet definitely get hot easily but I wear smart wool which helps a lot. Terrain will be fairly rough and decent amount of hiking as we are going in via horseback and hunting from spoke camp.
Rather have a boot that is super comfortable and quiet over last forever.

Oops missed this.

I'd do with 200gr or less model. But ask your outfitter.

One time trip danner high country, or UA browtine... No a fan of Chineese made boots but they will usually last 100miles.

Passion every year.. lowa, kennetrek, Zamerlain etc. everyone's foots different so every one has a favorite.

If you are serious in a long term boot. Call lathrop and sons
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/20/16 08:37 PM

I tried some kennetrek on and they felt amazing. But they were heavy as hell. I am thinking about buying a pair for Colorado hunting. If you are walking a lot spend money on the two bs boots and bag.

Going forward I will use my proghorns for Texas and maybe kennetrek for Colorado or long hunts
Posted By: bradtown

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/20/16 11:09 PM

Try the kenetrek safaris.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/21/16 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
I tried some kennetrek on and they felt amazing. But they were heavy as hell. I am thinking about buying a pair for Colorado hunting. If you are walking a lot spend money on the two bs boots and bag.

Going forward I will use my proghorns for Texas and maybe kennetrek for Colorado or long hunts

They are not any heavier than any other similarly well-constructed full rand boot or hiker (Lowa Tibets are even heavier, for example). They are certainly heavier than partial rand or normal canvas hikers. A lot of guys will wear regular lightweight hikers if conditions permit and if the country is not too rocky/rough. I do.

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/21/16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

If you are looking for a lighter boot with similar support lowa tech light hunters sold by lathrop and sons.

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/21/16 07:22 PM

I think what he really needs is an escalator. That, or a sharp thump on the noggin the next time he thinks about getting off the main trail. grin

But, he isn't the only one.

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/22/16 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I think what he really needs is an escalator. That, or a sharp thump on the noggin the next time he thinks about getting off the main trail. grin

But, he isn't the only one.

Don't need any lessons now...

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/22/16 02:52 AM

The mountains make a fine teacher.

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/22/16 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
The mountains make a cruel teacher.

Fixed

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/22/16 07:56 PM

In relation to mountains and learning, it's all the same.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/23/16 06:26 PM

I'm a big fan of Merrell boots. I do a lot of hiking and my dad does a lot of 30+ mile, week long backpacking trips and he has been wearing Merrell boots for years. They work great for us.
Posted By: Bud1Pointer

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/23/16 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: skeeter22
I like Danner Pronghorns.

X2

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/23/16 11:29 PM

I am a danner fan but prog horns are not mountain boots. I use mine in Colorado and was swishing for some support

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/24/16 02:15 AM

I've heard that about the Pronghorns many times. A lot of guys love them until they get into some serious western hunting. I've never had any, so I couldn't say for sure, but it seems to be a common theme.

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/25/16 01:57 PM

Pronghorns are simply a good all around hunting boot like many of our Dads used to wear. I like them fine, but they are not made for the mountains.

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/25/16 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Pronghorns are simply a good all around hunting boot like many of our Dads used to wear. I like them fine, but they are not made for the mountains.

Depends on the mountains. Most of NM minus gila and any nasty elevation change areas they would be fine. I would call them a light duty boot

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/25/16 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Depends on the mountains. Most of NM minus gila and any nasty eve legation change areas they would be fine. I would call them a light duty boot

I agree. Most times if I can wear those I can get by with lightweight hikers though. Everybody is different.

I have my doubts if I will ever put anything but hikers (light when I can and heavier full rand when I have to) on my feet again when I go west or north.

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/25/16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Depends on the mountains. Most of NM minus gila and any nasty eve legation change areas they would be fine. I would call them a light duty boot

I agree. Most times if I can wear those I can get by with lightweight hikers though. Everybody is different.

I have my doubts if I will ever put anything but hikers (light when I can and heavier full rand when I have to) on my feet again when I go west or north.

Catch 22 really hard to tell a guy to go buy $400boots for a one or two time deal. Then tell him to spend 50 miles conditioning his feet and breaking them in.

I'm a big fan of ultra light hikers/ cross trainers but that's when i'm stalking with a bow, and not carring a load.
Posted By: zbot

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/26/16 09:10 AM

Kenetrek or the like. Don't lose out on your hunt because of feet problems.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 01/29/16 04:46 AM

Red Wing Irish Setter Elk Hunter insulated boots work great for my out west elk and mule deer hunts. They are very comfortable, durable, warm and waterproof!
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 02/03/16 01:49 AM

Danner or Meindl
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 02/03/16 09:40 AM

....or Lowa if you're in rough country. Otherwise, I like Red Wings for flat ground.
Posted By: Sherpa Dog

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 02/03/16 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Revoman
Danner or Meindl

I wore a pair of Meindl on my last tour in Afghanistan & I'd have to say they're probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn once they were broken in. Regardless, Whatever boot you decide on make sure you break them in well! Nothing worse than being stuck on a mountain with a bum pair of boots. flag
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 02/05/16 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Sherpa Dog
Danner or Meindl

I wore a pair of Meindl on my last tour in Afghanistan & I'd have to say they're probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn once they were broken in. Regardless, Whatever boot you decide on make sure you break them in well! Nothing worse than being stuck on a mountain with a bum pair of boots. flag

another vote for Meindl

mine has a rubber rand around the bottom to deal with rocks and sharp edges and have lasted longer than most

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 02/05/16 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
Originally Posted By: Sherpa Dog
Danner or Meindl

another vote for Meindl

mine has a rubber rand around the bottom to deal with rocks and sharp edges and have lasted longer than most

Those thick rands are lifesavers in rough country.
Posted By: JGreys0n

Re: Boot Rec for Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt - 02/07/16 02:30 PM

I recommend palladium leather boots. Sturdy and light. Perfect for hunting. Great for everyday use and in all weather conditions.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum