Texas Hunting Forum

Heated socks

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Heated socks - 12/17/15 03:48 AM

My wife always complains about cold feet when hunting. She takes a little propane heater with her to the blind but complains that her feet get really cold. She even layers her socks and cannot keep her feet warm.
Does anyone make heated socks that work? They always seemed like a gimmick product, surely someone makes some good ones.
Any good options other than heated socks?
I thought I read a thread on this once before but could not find it.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Heated socks - 12/17/15 12:54 PM

Heat radiating insoles.
Posted By: waterfowlwonders

Re: Heated socks - 12/17/15 01:36 PM

http://www.basspro.com/ThermaCELL-Heated...OSSSELL_PRODUCT
Posted By: rickym

Re: Heated socks - 12/17/15 02:09 PM

Toe warmers. They work the same way as the hand warmers
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Heated socks - 12/17/15 08:59 PM

heavy WOOL SKI socks; they are about an inch thick, and go past the calf;
will keep feet warm even when wet or sweaty! (no other option will !)
layers of cotton or poly/nylon socks are worthless compared to an inch of wool!

Hard to find down south here; two pair of heavy hiker wool socks may be only local option (half as thick, not as long).

If you can't stand wool, put a pair of silk socks on first, then the wool (silk is good wet too! - hard to find).
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Heated socks - 12/18/15 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: waterfowlwonders

THIS ^^^^^^^ My wife has a pair and she LOVES them
Posted By: kmartinusa

Re: Heated socks - 12/25/15 03:37 AM

Ive used these from mildly cold days to 14 below.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GRABBER-F...3540&rid=20

I don't want to lose a charger, forget to charge them, etc. I buy a case at a time and love them.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Heated socks - 12/25/15 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: kmartinusa
Ive used these from mildly cold days to 14 below.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GRABBER-F...3540&rid=20

I don't want to lose a charger, forget to charge them, etc. I buy a case at a time and love them.

I always take along a pack of Grabbers (or similar) whenever hunting conditions call for rubber boots. A pair will last all day usually, but I always keep spares in my pack. They are a godsend if you're prone to cold feet.

Your wife will like them immediately, I bet, even if her boots are leather. Nowadays, most leather hunting boots have goretex liners, which keep moisture from getting through from the outside. Unfortunately, they keep moisture trapped inside too, so if you're prone to sweaty feet, the goretex will make the condition worse....and your feet will get cold.

But, try the Grabbers first before you rush out and buy your wife new boots w/o goretex liners.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Heated socks - 12/25/15 06:17 PM

Thanks for the info guys
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Heated socks - 12/26/15 12:34 AM

Be careful with packing sock after sock because the toes have no room to move so it cuts off the circulation so they get even colder. We use very thin socks so the body heat can move around through out the boot.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Heated socks - 12/26/15 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775
Be careful with packing sock after sock because the toes have no room to move so it cuts off the circulation so they get even colder. We use very thin socks so the body heat can move around through out the boot.

The reason behind using a thin, non-cotton sock against the skill is to wick away sweat created when walking and being more active. They are also a must when using ThermaCell heated insoles, with an outer sock that's somewhat lighter than you would use without insoles. Simply put, you want the feet and toes to stay dry and without a moisture holding cloth (cotton) next to the skin.

Remember too that ThermaCell insoles are not designed to warm the feet and toes beyond normal body temperature. They will not feel warm to the skin as you might with an electric blanket. It's why they include a remote switch capability so that you can wait before getting to the place where you will be idle before turning them on. Leave them off while active and until any sweat has been wicked/evaporated away from the skin by a thin, acrylic sock.
Posted By: nak

Re: Heated socks - 12/29/15 05:58 AM

I have used a pair of the smaller size catalytic hand warmers, tucking on into the top of each boot, on the inside, just above and behind the ankle.
Posted By: mcclelland

Re: Heated socks - 12/29/15 06:34 AM

Try http://www.rei.com/product/722203/nrs-hydroskin-socks. I have been using neoprene socks for hunting and never have issues with them being cold....just a little sweaty when I taken them off.
Posted By: agChuck

Re: Heated socks - 12/31/15 03:22 AM

How do these work with breathable waders and duck hunting?
Posted By: Streater

Re: Heated socks - 10/26/16 07:41 PM

I second liner socks. They changed my life!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Heated socks - 10/26/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: txvarminter
Originally Posted By: waterfowlwonders

THIS ^^^^^^^ My wife has a pair and she LOVES them

Yes, pricey but worth it.

I've yet to see anything made by 3M that didn't perform as advertised, including the ThermaCell.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Heated socks - 10/26/16 09:22 PM

Glad y'all had luck with the ThermaCells. I got my money back. I was using them in waders and not deer hunting though.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Heated socks - 10/29/16 03:12 AM

Guy on my lease is from Wisconsin. He swears by his 2000 gram boots. Says his feet sweat.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Heated socks - 11/03/16 03:14 AM

I hunted with a friend who would switch boots when we got to the blind. For sitting he had fleece lined boots a couple sizes to big so they would be loose with an extra pair of socks.

Mark
Posted By: maximum

Re: Heated socks - 11/04/16 02:34 AM

if you're sitting in a blind anyway, why not
just use a $14.99 academy sleeping bag pulled
up over your lower section? a couple of heat
packs in the foot area should be good for all
day in the coldest weather.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum