Texas Hunting Forum

Night hunting setup on a budget?

Posted By: 7x57

Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 02:24 AM

Looking for a setup to hunt hogs with at night. I don't have to be killing things like a vampire or anything, but would like something that works well. Trying to keep it somewhat affordable so that I don't blow all the dust off my wallet at once.

Have rifles, just don't know where to start as far as lights or optics and such goes.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: MikeTX

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 02:57 AM

LED feeder lights and something like an XLR 250 kill light for your gun could get you started.

elusivewildlife.com/xlr-250.html

If you go down the road of night vision scopes, it will make your head spin smile

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 03:20 AM

Yeah I looked at some thermals and they cost about as much as one of TDKs mausers, which I would rather have, lol. Just looking to get rid of some pests on the cheap if I can.
Posted By: SCP

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 01:33 PM

I've got a cheap Moonshine feeder light mounted on a feeder to alert me when an animal is there (here is my review of it http://www.rackandrange.com/feeder-light-review/), and a light mounted on my AR (from these guys http://www.varmintlights.com/) that is a pretty powerful spotlight. I'm all in for about $150, and between the two lights I can hunt from about 100 yards.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 03:26 PM

Well, what sort of pests are you wanting to get rid of and that may help with some of the suggestions on what might work well for you...
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 03:45 PM

It's all about what you are willing to spend. The lights mentioned above will get you started. That may be all you ever want or need, but the allure of hunting at night is strong. Beware, it slowly draws you in and sucks your wallet dry. grin
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 03:46 PM

I use the XLR250 weapon light, its great out to about 150, that the farthest I've ever used it. i normally use a couple cheap LED solar lights on the feeder with photocells, they last 6-8 hours. This year I'm using better quality lights since mine keep falling off. Will be using this mounted on a post about 15 feet from the feeder. http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Outdoor-Sec...hting&psc=1

Or I may try one of these with the motion sensor. I'm thinking it would be easier on the eyes to sit in the dark and have this turn on when an animal is under the feeder rather than stare at a light 100yards away in the dark. Not sure. http://www.amazon.com/Innoo-Tech-Waterpr...5VR2SB07XF5JEZ1

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Well, what sort of pests are you wanting to get rid of and that may help with some of the suggestions on what might work well for you...
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
It's all about what you are willing to spend. The lights mentioned above will get you started. That may be all you ever want or need, but the allure of hunting at night is strong. Beware, it slowly draws you in and sucks your wallet dry. grin

Lol just looking to get rid of some pigs that are digging up my training track. I've seen them there, but I can't sneak up on them in the truck before they hear the diesel so havent gotten a shot.

I'm trying to avoid getting too addicted to it, but would be willing to spend a few hundred bucks to try something new. Shots would be around 50-75 yards with a .22 or 17 HMR most likely. They aren't real big they're just making a dang mess.

Would be nice to try out on some raccoons if I could find any, there's some big tracks along the creekbeds.
Posted By: panther89

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 06:37 PM

give us a try wwww.xtremepredatorlights.com

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/05/15 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: panther89

What color would you recommend for the distance? I read that red is less detectable but shows less details or something along those lines. Not sure what would work for me really, never used one before.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/06/15 06:09 PM

wait for a half moon or better and hunt with your regular setup. You'd be surprised what you can see with a decent scope. Killed hundreds of hogs this way!
Posted By: panther89

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/06/15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TheWhiteMexican

What color would you recommend for the distance? I read that red is less detectable but shows less details or something along those lines. Not sure what would work for me really, never used one before.

For that distance i would use red.

Re: Night hunting setup on a budget? - 11/06/15 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
wait for a half moon or better and hunt with your regular setup. You'd be surprised what you can see with a decent scope. Killed hundreds of hogs this way!

I've done it on occasion, but the spot where they usually hang out is in a creek bed with some pretty gnarly brush and tall trees so it blocks out most of the natural light. On top of that it's spooky as hell, lol.

Originally Posted By: TheWhiteMexican

For that distance i would use red.

Cool, I'll probably place an order with you guys sometime next week after I settle down from the opening weekend. Thanks for the advice!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum