Texas Hunting Forum

Make a cheap wireless camera and find hogs.

Posted By: TXAggie77

Make a cheap wireless camera and find hogs. - 08/05/15 04:18 PM

Ok, I have used a lot of techniques for hunting hogs and find outsmarting them is most of the fun. I do believe I have gotten pretty good at it, in fact so good I went to A&M’s Sausage Making course because I have lots of pork.
I have used feed pens, dug holes to put mash in and used a figure 6 corral. I have used solar lights, motion sensor lights and trail cameras. I have always wanted to see real time if anything is at one of my sites without having to spend the time in a blind. Time efficiency is the main reason I went to a Figure 6 Hog Corral. A wireless trail camera costs around $399 and I don’t want to spend that type of money. Besides I don’t want a text message that something is on the camera. I want to know when I am there to hunt.
But now I am taking a new route. I have learned that I can take my cell phone (will be getting 2 to 3 older models and adding them to my plan) and have down loaded Skype. I have selected that it will only answer my call which I call from the Skype on my iPad. I place my cell phone on a selfie stick and attach it to a tree, T-post or feeder leg with Velcro Strips. I can call my phone from the cabin and if anything comes up on the video feed go out and sneak up to shoot it. I have actually set up a firing bench about 75 yards away that I can get to unobserved. If nothing is there then hang up and check later. You don’t want constant monitoring unless you have a lot of data you can use.

So you can shoot a few holes in this process but I think I have some answers.

How long does the battery last? The Skype is in standby mode so it should be good for a while.

Are you leaving the phone out? Not really, I will put it out when I am at the lease but it is only a temporary video feed.

What about weather? I would probably not put it out if I was expecting rain, unless I can make a cover for it.

Does your video feed work at night? Sort of. I have had success with motion detection lights before while hunting hogs. If something activates the light I can see shadows, but just by the fact that your lights are on indicates something is there and it is probably hogs. I can then shoot them with my mounted hog light.

What about coons? They may activate the lights but you should be able to tell from the shadows and silhouette if it is a coon. I recommend you kill em all.

What other benefits does this system have? It is good for getting those smarter and larger hogs that will not go into your corral or hang outside your feeder pen.

How will you keep the phone charged? It is not intended to be out for an extended period of time. Probably put it out with my prepared corn mash Friday evening, monitor at night, pick it back up Saturday AM, charge it if necessary and put it back out Saturday afternoon for hunting that night. I'll pick it up and take it with me on Sunday. I don't need it out there if I'm not in the area. I have a regular game camera to take pictures when I am not there. Also the phone is not on and is in standby until I call. I will then only be on a short time <1-2 minutes, before I hang up. Still have to get some experience on battery life but it should have enough battery life for a night hunt. It will also be good if I leave it at my deer feeder to check if anything is there before I get into my blind in the evening so I don't spook anything. Just some thoughts. It is a work in progress. Another option would be: Solar charger such as: http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Charger-Resi...s=Solar+Charger

If you want to check your corral or trap at first light then set your alarm, dial Skype if something is there then go get it. If not go back to bed.

I hope this works for some of you guys also and would like to hear some feedback.

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Make a cheap wireless camera and find hogs. - 08/05/15 04:46 PM

My question is doesn't the Skype ringer go off when you are calling? Even if on silent wouldn't the phone vibrate some and potentially scare off any game (probably not pigs but more likely would the coons).

I don't know about how Skype rings through on a phone so I don't have any answer to that, but if you have used it I assume you could tell....

Also, does Skype automatically connect through or does something have to answer for it? Again it has been about 7 years since I last used Skype so things may have changed, but how does the remote cell phone answer your call?
Posted By: TXAggie77

Re: Make a cheap wireless camera and find hogs. - 08/05/15 05:56 PM

You can set it up to automatically answer and you can turn your ringer all the way down. You do have to be careful to mute your audio when you call but you can still hear the audio if the pigs are grunting. I guess if you just saw coons you could turn your audio back on and yell at them. Might spook them enough to stay away from your feeder.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Make a cheap wireless camera and find hogs. - 08/06/15 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: TXAggie77
You can set it up to automatically answer and you can turn your ringer all the way down. You do have to be careful to mute your audio when you call but you can still hear the audio if the pigs are grunting. I guess if you just saw coons you could turn your audio back on and yell at them. Might spook them enough to stay away from your feeder.

Lmao roflmao
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Make a cheap wireless camera and find hogs. - 08/06/15 03:09 PM

I want some proof of concept videos and pictures on this. By the way welcome to the forum TxAggie77!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum