Texas Hunting Forum

Best ear protection

Posted By: Nick1

Best ear protection - 06/26/15 01:35 AM

I know this is a matter of opinion, but what brand and rating are you using? What's a minimum rating I should be looking at? Thanks
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Best ear protection - 06/26/15 01:39 AM

The closer you can get to 30 or above, the better. Definitely don't go below 20.

Hear protection involves various plugs or muffs and folks all have their preferences, sizes, shapes, etc. If I am spending the day at the range, I wear both plugs and muffs, the plugs stopping any potential leakage by the muffs and vice versa. If hunting, I wear a pair of muffs. For the muffs to be small enough to get a cheek weld, usually they are in the 22-25 db nrr size. You can get some pretty slim muffs @ >20 db nrr.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Best ear protection - 06/26/15 03:43 AM

Electronic hearing protection rocks. We use peltor electronic muffs and they amplify noise such as talking and animals but muffle shots to a mild bang. Amazing things and great tech. Recommend them highly!
Posted By: kry226

Re: Best ear protection - 06/26/15 04:04 AM

Last year for the dove opener, we did a family hunt and I bought all four of us a pair of the Howard Leight electronic muffs. Awesome little set of muffs.

I actually bought two of these 2-packs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T7N...ailpage_o07_s00
Posted By: 280AI

Re: Best ear protection - 07/03/15 02:32 AM

What?
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Best ear protection - 07/06/15 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
Last year for the dove opener, we did a family hunt and I bought all four of us a pair of the Howard Leight electronic muffs. Awesome little set of muffs.

These are really good, you can catch them on sale at Cabelas. I have used them for a few years now and have two piars of them.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Best ear protection - 07/07/15 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
Originally Posted By: kry226

These are really good, you can catch them on sale at Cabelas. I have used them for a few years now and have two piars of them.

+1. I got two at Cabela's for under $40 each out the door and really like them. As a backup and for lawn/tractor/chainsaw work, I like the red/white/blue plugs that you can get at Academy. They seem to block noise better than the really cheap orange foam plugs. Not sure of the brand; also, the Howard Leight MAX-1 foam plugs are similar.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Best ear protection - 07/07/15 05:02 PM

I have a pair of those Howard Leight and they are great. Only thing I do not like is it gets hot as hell in the dove field.

I have bought and tried a lot of ear protection but my favorite kind for bird hunting is the Alpine work safe ear buds Link Here

They are awesome, I have used other passive ear buds like surfire and the pelator combats, but the Alpines are a clear winner. The only thing I have a tough time with is hearing people shouting across the field, otherwise I can hear pretty much everything and my ears aren't ringing at the end of the day.

The Allen company light ear protection are the best I have every worn. The only problem is you look dumb as hell wearing them... But seriously, try them and you will be amazed how well they work.
Link Here
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Best ear protection - 07/09/15 12:34 AM

Mine is a Surefire .30 cal suppressor......
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Best ear protection - 07/09/15 12:32 PM

What I didn't know about the electronic ear protection is they just enhance sound. The electronics do nothing to suppress sounds. I thought they were more like the noise canceling headphones.

frown
Posted By: kry226

Re: Best ear protection - 07/09/15 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
What I didn't know about the electronic ear protection is they just enhance sound. The electronics do nothing to suppress sounds. I thought they were more like the noise canceling headphones.

frown

Some do, some don't. You have to make sure the muffs have built-in sound suppression, not just enhancement.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Best ear protection - 07/20/15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: 280AI
What?

I SAID, CHECK YOUR EAR PLUGS!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum