Texas Hunting Forum

How to use a Lead Sled

Posted By: MathMan

How to use a Lead Sled - 06/09/15 02:21 AM

I'm wanting to know how to properly use a lead sled.

Do I put pressure on the lead sled with my shoulder?
Do I hold the gun firmly?
Do I just let the gun sit in it on the target and only press the trigger?
Posted By: BigPig

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/09/15 01:37 PM

Return to sender.

Purchase a good quality bipod and sand bags for the rear. Never had any luck with a lead sled
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/09/15 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: MathMan
I'm wanting to know how to properly use a lead sled.

Do I put pressure on the lead sled with my shoulder? yes
Do I hold the gun firmly? yes
Do I just let the gun sit in it on the target and only press the trigger? no

I agree with BigPig though. Bags are preferable. I like a front bag more than a bipod as well.
Posted By: Cast

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/09/15 04:54 PM

I use a heavy adjustable front rest (cast iron) I got at Cabela's years ago. I pair it with a Protektor rabbit ear hard bottom rear bag filled with lead shot. The combo is very stable and comfortable. I also use a drummer's stool so I can get myself to the right height.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/09/15 10:10 PM

If I'm going to be doing a lot of shooting it's a blessing and I use two 25lbs bags of lead shot.

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/09/15 10:24 PM

Thanks for the help. In be using a Caldwell lead sled tomorrow and hopefully this helps.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/10/15 04:36 AM

I've taken to using a bipod only here lately. It's a more "field use realistic" thing for me.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/10/15 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Return to sender.

Purchase a good quality bipod and sand bags for the rear. Never had any luck with a lead sled

This.^^

Lead sleds are evil and should be destroyed with fire.

Rifles shoot differently inside the sled. Learn proper technique and ahoot the rifle without the sled.
Posted By: spg

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/11/15 05:24 PM

Put it on your work bench and use it as a stand to mount scopes and accessories, never shoot a rifle in it. Shoot just with a big sand bag to rest the front of the stock and a small bag under the but and get familiar with your weapon, you shouldn't need a lead sled if the kick is that bad get a brake installed.

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/11/15 10:41 PM

I ended up just working at the ranch. Didn't get to shoot.

I'll take y'all's advice on the lead sled. I've read a lot about it and it seems like there's a lot of info about it being bad.

I have a bipod on the front, I built some sand bags fm for the back out of pant legs and small gravel. Next time I shoot I'll use that stuff.

My problem is the medicine I take makes me shake a ltiile bit all the time. I am never still so it always hurts my shooting. I've figured out that I need to eat and be hydrated before shooting and that helps but I still shake some.

Any thoughts on how to be more still. I've read something about making your gun do small circles or figure 8s. I don't understand how that works. Any help is appreciated.

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/12/15 01:38 AM

Get the rear bag built up enough that your scope is looking low on the target. Rest your head on the stock where you are relaxed all but the hand holding the rear bag. Apply a light to moderate grip to the stock with the firing hand. Slow steady pressure to the trigger, straight to the rear, until it breaks. Swinging left to right, or figure eights means your are unstable and should not shoot until you build a better position.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/12/15 02:43 AM

I hold mine down with a heavy sandbag. I like it for sighting a new scope.
Posted By: JustCUZ

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/13/15 05:27 AM

I like my lead sled a lot. The trick is to let the sled do ALL of the work when it comes to aiming. Apply slight pressure to the shoulder/back of the sled. Enough to stop recoil but not enough to where you shouldering it moves the reticle. Adjust the front and/or back adjustments so that the crosshairs are center of the target. You want it like this when you're not even shouldering the gun. Letting the sled aim by itself. That along with a slow trigger squeeze will all but eliminate possible human error. So you KNOW where the gun/scope is each shot and you don't have to wonder if you were off center when the gun fired. Putting a bag or flat bench weight on the sled, under the rifle, will take 95% of the guns remaining recoil away.
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/13/15 08:11 PM

I don't have a lead sled but have something similar. I love it. It enables me to determine exactly what my rifle and load are capable of delivering. It reduces human error. I use it exclusively when working up loads.

After I find the best load I switch to bags and/or bipod depending on application. I compare how well I shoot compared to what the rifle can do. At that point it is practice, practice, practice.

Put your shoulder on it, hold firmly, control breathing, squeeze trigger.
Posted By: nak

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/14/15 02:59 AM

I like my lead sled, but I have the front V cranked all the way down and very tight. I use one of those small truck window sandbags draped across the V.
Posted By: epolanco

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/14/15 12:14 PM

Can ya'll recommend a good bipod brand. Thanks
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/14/15 02:57 PM

I like Harris.
Posted By: Nivlac

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/14/15 03:43 PM

/\/\/\Harris

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/15/15 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: JustCUZ
I like my lead sled a lot. The trick is to let the sled do ALL of the work when it comes to aiming. Apply slight pressure to the shoulder/back of the sled. Enough to stop recoil but not enough to where you shouldering it moves the reticle. Adjust the front and/or back adjustments so that the crosshairs are center of the target. You want it like this when you're not even shouldering the gun. Letting the sled aim by itself. That along with a slow trigger squeeze will all but eliminate possible human error. So you KNOW where the gun/scope is each shot and you don't have to wonder if you were off center when the gun fired. Putting a bag or flat bench weight on the sled, under the rifle, will take 95% of the guns remaining recoil away.

This is exactly what I was wanting.

Thanks.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/18/15 12:43 PM

I love my lead sled. It might not be as "field realistic" but it's the best for sighting in a gun because you will be steady. So you will have no question once you sight it in that it is the gun or te shooter.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/18/15 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: JustCUZ

This is exactly what I was wanting.

Thanks.

While usually it is a small difference, the gun may not shoot to the same point of impact out of the sled and with you shooting it in the field. It may work to test the accuracy of a gun/bullet, but unless your using the sled to make your shot on the deer also its probably not the best idea.

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/19/15 03:35 AM

popcorn

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/20/15 03:33 AM

I was wanting to use it to test my new reloads.

Maybe next week I can shoot them with the sled and see how it goes. I just hope it doesn't hurt my rifle.

When I shoot it I'll post the group.

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/20/15 06:37 PM

I just hope it doesn't hurt my rifle.

And that is ANOTHER reason not to use a lead sled.
Posted By: Nick1

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/20/15 08:02 PM

Really like mine a lot. I was confident and positive the gun was zeroed perfectly. It takes out the variables. It takes some tinkering. I feel like it actually helped me with my mechanics. I am not a professional shooter, so I feel it helps. I took it to range a lot last season, then shot my first deer in a blind, without led sled, no bags (front barrel was resting on window of blind) and nailed deer perfectly behind shoulder from about 90 yards.
Posted By: Deersteaks

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/24/15 09:00 AM

Justcuz has it right.Never understood when people say it shoots different in "The field".As long as your gun is not strapped down,the sight in process should be more accurate in the sled than out of it (your taking a lot of human error out of the equation). We should strive to have our rifles as accurate as possible so the margin for error is slight.I never want any doubt in my mind about what the gun is capable of doing.If I miss,it's not on the gun,it's on me,period.My brothers and I have used ours for years and it is a pleasure to use it.Our guns are very accurate and our confidence going into the woods is at a premium.Now,before anyone blows up,I'm not discounting sandbags as a good rest.I'm simply stating that I believe the sled is more consistent.As for "The field" aspect of it.Unless your certain that every shot will be made from the corner of your blind window on a sand bag,then the field argument is lost on me. I've shot deer in the off hand position,laying in the prone position,propped on a tree, and even out of a truck window(ranch road guys-come on);and never wondered if my gun could make the shot.One more thing.It is generally agreed upon that you rarely feel the recoil of your rifle when shooting at a deer-hog-whatever,but that when your sighting it in, it can become tiresome or even painful,depending on caliber of course.No problem at all if your using the sled.Just my.02 worth.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/27/15 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Nick1
Really like mine a lot. I was confident and positive the gun was zeroed perfectly. It takes out the variables. It takes some tinkering. I feel like it actually helped me with my mechanics. I am not a professional shooter, so I feel it helps. I took it to range a lot last season, then shot my first deer in a blind, without led sled, no bags (front barrel was resting on window of blind) and nailed deer perfectly behind shoulder from about 90 yards.

Was the barrel resting on the window of the blind or was it the front of the rifle stock ? Next question, would it be harmful to the rifle to rest the barrel?
Posted By: Nick1

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/28/15 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: wilhunt
Originally Posted By: Nick1

Was the barrel resting on the window of the blind or was it the front of the rifle stock ? Next question, would it be harmful to the rifle to rest the barrel?

Barrel was resting on carpeted window sill. No problems whatsoever. The led sled took out all variables as far as zeroing rifle (in my opinion). It was up to me to do everything else right when I was in blind with no sled. I knew it was right on.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: How to use a Lead Sled - 06/29/15 12:00 AM

My Lead Sled is very helpful for me to reduce variables in order to quickly get a scope/rifle on the paper.

I'm not about to challenge our talented and esteemed long range shooters on this subject, because I don't live in their world. But, in my world of 30-250 yard shooting, it can be a valuable tool to help me understand the dynamics of a given combination, without having to account for my lousy trigger technique.

Will the POI of an "anchored" rifle shift compared to shooting off of bags? Sure, but that isn't point.......

Marc
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum