Texas Hunting Forum

Cellular trail camera question

Posted By: Emmett

Cellular trail camera question - 05/25/15 04:55 AM

I am thinking of investing in a cellular trail camera and would like some advise on good cameras. My price range will be around $350.00. I have been looking at the OldBoys Outdoors® Little Acorn 12MP 2-way Cellular No Glow HD Trail Camera. I like the fact of being able to make adjustments on the camera through the cellular line.
Thank you for all input,
Emmett
Posted By: aeb

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 05/26/15 01:48 AM

Never heard of the brand? Reviews would steer me away.

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 05/26/15 12:09 PM

Thanks aeb

Posted By: Western

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 05/26/15 01:03 PM

Agree with aeb as well, also the warranty issue if you don't buy through Sportsman's Guide. The 1st thing that would turn me away though is the "No flash" crappy night photos usually with those unless it is a door surveillance setup.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 05/26/15 07:51 PM

I use the covert black ops. Being able to adjust if from your phone is a big plus. I set it on 8 mp instead of 12 for longer battery life.
This was sent to me today
Posted By: Hymer

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 05/27/15 12:00 AM

I have two of the ltl acorns that I really like. They take a picture and send it to me, so I'm happy!
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 05/27/15 12:59 AM

This is what the low resolution SpyPoint cameras send. They also can be changed from your phone/computer. You also only pay for what you use, with no monthly costs. It cost me 5 cents to get 103 low resolution pics. If you like a pic, you can download the full version. Haven't downloaded one yet to know the cost.

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 05/27/15 03:34 AM

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it.
Emmett
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 05/27/15 10:27 AM

I have a problem with somebody hanging around my house when I'm not there. It generally happens during hunting season(I think). I don't live there.

Anybody have any night pics? I bought some no glow Game cams and the quality sucked.
Posted By: 458 Socom

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 06/12/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
This is what the low resolution SpyPoint cameras send. They also can be changed from your phone/computer. You also only pay for what you use, with no monthly costs. It cost me 5 cents to get 103 low resolution pics. If you like a pic, you can download the full version. Haven't downloaded one yet to know the cost.

I have tried to work with 3 different OldBoys Outdoors® Little Acorn cameras and they would never work reliably under any circumstances. Never even attempted to get them out into the field after all the problems.

I have had several SpyPoint cameras (non-cellular) so gonna try the Cellular models this year. A little more spendy but will be worth it to have good quality gear.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 06/14/15 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I have a problem with somebody hanging around my house when I'm not there. It generally happens during hunting season(I think). I don't live there.

Anybody have any night pics? I bought some no glow Game cams and the quality sucked.

I am going to hook up my spypoint overlooking a feeder over the July 4th weekend. When I start getting pics, I will post them for all to see.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 06/14/15 09:57 PM

This is a night pic I got last night off my covert black ops (black flash)....just so you all know the camera
Is set up a little too far back from the feeder, about 30-35 feet, because the stand I had it attached to broke off at the leg supports so I couldn't stake it down to the ground for support and had to tie it up by the pen fence. Ideally it should be about 20-25 feet from the feeder at night, but it still gets pics this far away at night.

Comparative day time photo:

The rains this spring have sprouted some serious grass this year, weeds are about waist high or higher, but the deer have a nice patch worn clean to the dirt around the feeder you can barely see.
Hooked it up to a solar charger and good to go. ATT service is 10/month and unlimited texts to my phone.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 06/14/15 11:22 PM

Anyone know if the browning strike force has these capabilities?
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 06/19/15 06:46 AM

Start looking for the newer technology!

I have 4 HCO's currently working. The Panda version I can change a few programs remotely via text. Nice feature when I am 450 miles away here at home.

AT&T is getting ready to phase out 2G which is what the majority of the texting cams use now.

I have been doing my homework for my next investment. Looks like they are good till at least 2017 right now.

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 06/19/15 06:52 AM

A couple day and night pictures.

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 06/19/15 07:22 AM

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Cellular trail camera question - 06/19/15 06:39 PM

Just fyi, the newer covert cell cams use 3G cell signal, not 2G.

I paid attention to that issue as well since 2G is supposedly being phased out over the next 2 years.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum