Texas Hunting Forum

Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic?

Posted By: Hirogen

Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 03:02 AM

Which do you prefer? An old style dial or an electronic keypad.

I prefer the dial for 2 reasons:

- I know that it won't malfunction
- On an electronic if you never change the combo (let's face it most of us don't) the numbers can show slight visible wear if you use the safe a lot. An enterprising thief can determine the numbers and than only needs to figure out the order by trial and error.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 03:20 AM

Dial. One less variable to worry about.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 03:24 AM

I have a digital lock on mine.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 03:25 AM

Electric. Simply for quick access.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 03:50 AM

Dial.
Posted By: Buckeyesgt

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 04:08 AM

Dial because I hate the thought of an EMP. Ya bust out the tin foil.
Posted By: dredd

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 10:29 AM

Electronic with a Key back-up.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 12:01 PM

Electronic.

Speed of access and the numbers have not worn after 5 years of opening the safe every day.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 12:11 PM

Digital
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169

And you can much more easily change the combination if needed.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 12:48 PM

Dial, too paranoid and too d school to fully trust an electronic. (The machines will come for us one day when that bloody thing they call the Internet spawns a consciousness and decides to hold your guns.)
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 12:55 PM

Dial
Posted By: janie

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 01:13 PM

Dial
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 01:15 PM

I saw recently where safes are now being offered with both. Go figure.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 01:16 PM

either dial, or electronic with a dual-key override.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 01:22 PM

Dial!!!
Posted By: Spent Brass

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 01:29 PM

www.securamsys.com

Look at the SafeLogic Xtreme.

Best of both worlds. I have this on my safe.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 01:34 PM

Dial. Sure it's slower, but more reliable. I know 2 friends that batteries went out, and had issues getting into their safes.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Electronic.

Speed of access and the numbers have not worn after 5 years of opening the safe every day.

x2.....and it's a lot easier for the wife.
Posted By: clandr1

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 02:49 PM

Dial for reliability.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 03:06 PM

Dial for reliability and EMP proof. I replaced the electronic due to several faults. After a few months of opening with the dial I can open the safe just as fast as electronic
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 03:14 PM

Electronic. I also like computers more than typewriters, cars more than bicycles, and the NFL more than NCAA football.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 03:52 PM

just make sure the dial doesn't have nylon gears..... newer ones do, pay extra for metal ones.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 04:45 PM

Briefs.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Hirogen
Which do you prefer? An old style dial or an electronic keypad.

I prefer the dial for 2 reasons:

- I know that it won't malfunction
- On an electronic if you never change the combo (let's face it most of us don't) the numbers can show slight visible wear if you use the safe a lot. An enterprising thief can determine the numbers and than only needs to figure out the order by trial and error.

Dial. But your number 1 reason isn't true. I've had to replace the mechanisms in my Liberty 2 times. It's a dial but I can stick the key in and turn it to the last number of the combo and open it, very quick.
Posted By: rentzington

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter-Steve
Dial for reliability and EMP proof. I replaced the electronic due to several faults. After a few months of opening with the dial I can open the safe just as fast as electronic

replaced just the electronic lock with a dial or the entire safe? how bad was the cost if it was just the lock replacement?

I keep thinking i'd rather have dial just to avoid issue of electronics going out on me one day.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 05:43 PM

I like the dial or maybe electronic with a backup key.

Definitely no Biometric thumb print, super easy to defeat.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 07:05 PM

Why not both?
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Electronic. I also like computers more than typewriters, cars more than bicycles, and the NFL more than NCAA football.

I was with you until that last part!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/30/15 09:38 PM

Ours is electric... because we never thought about it.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/31/15 03:12 AM

My safes are dial, but then I'm old school.
Posted By: TheOilman

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/31/15 11:10 AM

Dial - laugh now but when a emp or electric solar flare hits and half these people can't get in their safes we will se who's laughing.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/31/15 11:21 AM

Dial. If something works low-tech, I stick with it. Plus, my brain needs all the exercise it can get and the dial makes it work just a little bit harder.
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/31/15 05:07 PM

digital, I can open it in the dark and that is important since mine is in the back of a closet and I need a flashlight to see the numbers.
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 03/31/15 05:49 PM

One of mine is a dial and the other is electronic. I like the electronic better in general but they can have problems. I had the solenoid go out on mine, luckily mine has a back up key to bypass the keypad. The solenoid couldn't be replaced without opening the door
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/01/15 07:32 PM

I would be interested in hearing what a locksmith or safe warranty guy had to say about digital versus analog. I wonder if its just a matter or low end stuff sucks versus higher end, or if they see more repairs one type or the other.

I bet cheap safes you buy at the box stores are a lot more prone to breaking when compared to Ft. Knox and Liberty.
Posted By: BA223

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/03/15 12:56 AM

I have the dial right now. But would not be opposed to the electronic lock, as long as there was a backup plan for electronic failure...
Posted By: ChipChipperson45

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/03/15 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Dial. Sure it's slower, but more reliable. I know 2 friends that batteries went out, and had issues getting into their safes.

^This happened to a family friend. They have 5 safes all with electronic locks. 2 of the safes had locks malfunction and lock him out of his safe.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/06/15 01:42 AM

Dial, the old school locksmith in town said he really likes the digital gun safes, they make up a decent portion of his buisiness.

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/06/15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
I would be interested in hearing what a locksmith or safe warranty guy had to say about digital versus analog. I wonder if its just a matter or low end stuff sucks versus higher end, or if they see more repairs one type or the other.

I bet cheap safes you buy at the box stores are a lot more prone to breaking when compared to Ft. Knox and Liberty.

This is the correct answer. I've been servicing safes for 15 years and there is a difference. The "box" stores have pounded the safe manufacturers into building cheaper locks, which is why some of you have key bypass on your safes. A true UL Residential Security Container will have no "bypass" to open the safe.

As far as dial vs. electronic - they both are man made and will fail. Most failures fall into 2 categories:
User error: Spinning the dial like a top. Never spin the dial any faster than you can turn your wrist.
Impatience: Entering the numbers too fast or incorrectly and causing a lockout, which left alone, will reset usually in 10-15 minutes.

The best lock I've seen to this point is the SecuRam SafeLogic Xtreme. You get a keypad for easy entry, and a dial for emergency, all in the same lock. Unless the keypad is completely knocked off the door, you can get to your stuff. You can't get locked out of it.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/06/15 10:06 PM

Easy...dial...

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/08/15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Spent Brass

This is the correct answer. I've been servicing safes for 15 years and there is a difference. The "box" stores have pounded the safe manufacturers into building cheaper locks, which is why some of you have key bypass on your safes. A true UL Residential Security Container will have no "bypass" to open the safe.

As far as dial vs. electronic - they both are man made and will fail. Most failures fall into 2 categories:
User error: Spinning the dial like a top. Never spin the dial any faster than you can turn your wrist.
Impatience: Entering the numbers too fast or incorrectly and causing a lockout, which left alone, will reset usually in 10-15 minutes.

The best lock I've seen to this point is the SecuRam SafeLogic Xtreme. You get a keypad for easy entry, and a dial for emergency, all in the same lock. Unless the keypad is completely knocked off the door, you can get to your stuff. You can't get locked out of it.

the dual lock is what i wish i had gotten in hindsight.

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/08/15 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: rentzington

You can still get it as long as your safe has a standard footprint. It's an easy retrofit.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/08/15 08:51 PM

Electric with keyed backups. This is what I have and I can get into it in under 2 seconds.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/08/15 11:42 PM

Dial all the way. I am not worried about speed of getting into it, just security.

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/09/15 01:09 AM

You can still get it as long as your safe has a standard footprint. It's an easy retrofit.

Interesting. My rhino safe has a securam electronic lock, I should look into this. Something that requires a locksmith?

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/09/15 02:20 PM

If you have any mechanical aptitude you can do it. Just read and follow the directions CAREFULLY and you'll be fine. Otherwise hire it done.
Posted By: Minter66

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 04/28/15 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169

Same here. Though I wish there was a combo system or a fail safe key in case of massive electronic failure.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 05/09/15 03:28 PM

Dial all the way!!
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 05/09/15 03:59 PM

Do you know where I can get one of these? I found one site that has it for $232.70 without the bluetooth option(That is an extra $115) Is that a good price?
Posted By: Rocklock

Re: Safe Combination - Dial or Electronic? - 05/11/15 07:44 PM

I've had my Browning for over 30 years. Dial lock. Nothing else needed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum