Texas Hunting Forum

Cartridge bellt loops

Posted By: Texgun

Cartridge bellt loops - 03/16/15 12:11 PM

Anybody here tried putting 44mag cartridges in loops made for 45 long colt. I'm thinking about buying one online and want to make sure it will work first.
Thanks.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Cartridge bellt loops - 03/16/15 02:54 PM

I haven't done what you are talking about, but I did have a leather bullet belt for a 44 mag. If you get it and its leather I would check on the shells after it sits for a while. My bullets would get oxidized pretty quick for some reason. The shells would get pretty nasty. I had a 45 70 one time and if I were to guess the cases were quite a bit bigger than the 44 and may cause an issue.

Re: Cartridge bellt loops - 03/16/15 03:39 PM

This is the only comparison I have for a 44 mag and 45 long colt.

Re: Cartridge bellt loops - 03/16/15 04:05 PM

That's a .45 70 and .44 mag pretty sure the .45 long colt is the same diameter as the .45 70 slinger
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Cartridge bellt loops - 03/16/15 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure the 44 mags would be loose in a 45 LC hole. Depending on the style of the loops, may or may not work.
Posted By: billybob

Re: Cartridge bellt loops - 03/16/15 08:28 PM

Yep they work just bought one at midway for my 44Mag and it fits my 45 colt and 410.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021269...=ProductFinding
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Cartridge bellt loops - 03/16/15 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
I haven't done what you are talking about, but I did have a leather bullet belt for a 44 mag. If you get it and its leather I would check on the shells after it sits for a while. My bullets would get oxidized pretty quick for some reason. The shells would get pretty nasty. I had a 45 70 one time and if I were to guess the cases were quite a bit bigger than the 44 and may cause an issue.
same reason you shouldn't leave knives in leather sheaths, cheaper leather will cause rust

Re: Cartridge bellt loops - 03/16/15 09:39 PM

10 4
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Cartridge bellt loops - 03/17/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
same reason you shouldn't leave knives in leather sheaths, cheaper leather will cause rust

up

Leather absorbs tanning solution acid during tanning and can't be completely removed. Anything leather I would rub a thick coating of mink oil boot wax on inside and out side and set in sunlight for 8 hrs. Repeat this several times, and repeat after a year or so. To be safe Don't long term store away with knife or bullet in sheath or leather.
Posted By: breadman

Re: Cartridge bellt loops - 03/18/15 10:24 AM

interesting info !
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum