Texas Hunting Forum

Browning Dark Ops trail cam

Posted By: MDMORROW

Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 02/24/15 11:46 PM

Anybody have one? I just ordered a couple and wondering what y'all think. Reviews seemed good and the price was right. These will be my first brownings, all my others are moultrie 880s. From what I read the moultries aren't as good of quality as they were a couple of years ago.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 02/25/15 12:16 AM

We've got 6 on our property, been running them now for two years through the summer and winter. I highly recommend buying Energizer Lithium batteries. Mine lasted two seasons, and due to me setting the camera incorrectly it took over 12,000 pics in the last 28 days and killed the $16 worth of batteries, but I've used the same batteries for 2 years. They are the best game cams I've ever used, they do best at night on the higher settings, and with good batteries it doesn't usually run them down for about 8-12 months.

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 02/25/15 01:12 AM

Really appreciate the detailed reply. Sounds like I made a good choice!
Posted By: j-thames

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 02/26/15 03:16 AM

Mind if I ask where you ordered from. I'm looking to pick a few up myself.
Thanks
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 02/27/15 05:26 PM

I bought 1 off amazon for pretty cheap. I love it, buying another one this year to take pictures of a food plot.
Posted By: Dropp-243

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 02/27/15 07:39 PM

How well are the night time pics?
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 02/28/15 11:37 AM

I bought 2 yesterday, $119 each + $10 shipping, from a place on the web called BHphotovideo.com. No idea whether they are as good as they say. The specs say up to 70 ft at night but I doubt that.
Posted By: Hair 'o dog

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 02/28/15 02:48 PM

If you need a SD card as well, THIS SELLER includes the card occasionally. I cannot tell a difference in pictures and features that matter of the higher end models from the entry so I've been happy with their LOWER END deal. Good luck.

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 02/28/15 05:02 PM

I wouldn't say 70',more like 30-35' feet at night.
This is a screen shot of my computer after downloading the pics, not the best for a visual, but still better then some of the other cams I've used
Posted By: Western

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 03/01/15 02:18 PM

If you are in the market for one, consider this place, also great test and info. http://www.trailcampro.com/browningtrailcameras.aspx

I have 1 dark OPs and not real thrilled with it, daytime photos are superb, but dim night photos. Trigger speed is an issue on moving targets as well, if it's moving, there is blur. As far as 70', mine will capture to that range if triggered by something much closer, maybe out to 40', but again, photo quality makes ID tough. This one would be best used for intruders at doors and such IMO

I also have the Browning Strike Force and I don't think you can do better for the money. Great night and day photos, fast trigger and it catches deer out to 50-60 ft at night and better in the daytime. When I get more, it will definitely be these.

What I like about http://www.trailcampro.com/browningstrikeforce.aspx, is extended warranty to 2 years, free ship and free 8g SD card for $129

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 03/01/15 09:47 PM

That's the website I used for determining which can to buy, very unbiased reviews.
Posted By: j-thames

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 03/02/15 03:38 AM

Trail cam pro is awesome for reviews. Unfortunately they haven't had the browning in stock for a while. I'm thinking I will go with the strike force when I get ready.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 03/09/15 11:40 AM

The dark OP's really don't seem to cut it on night pics. I bought 2 and, like Western, consider them pretty useless for night time pics. I did a walk test this morning before sun was up. At 15 ft, I couldn't even recognize myself. Really blurry.

I've had a lot of cameras and these are the worst night pics I've ever seen.

Yep, superb daytime pics.
Posted By: breadman

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 03/18/15 10:39 AM

wich has the fastest shot recovery ? i have bushnell`s they snap a pic about every 5 to 10 seconds , have one new moltre and takes better pics but recovery time is not good 30 seconds between pics .
Posted By: Western

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 03/18/15 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: breadman
wich has the fastest shot recovery ? i have bushnell`s they snap a pic about every 5 to 10 seconds , have one new moltre and takes better pics but recovery time is not good 30 seconds between pics .

I will look, I don't recall since I set all mine for 1 minute. I know it will do like a 3 shot group as one of the settings, like BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Probably has the info on the review here

http://www.trailcampro.com/browningstrikeforcereview.aspx
Posted By: ATX_Hunter

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 04/09/15 08:08 PM

I just purchased Strike Force. I hope it works as well as the reviews are showing from trailcampro. Good Luck with the Dark Ops

Re: Browning Dark Ops trail cam - 04/09/15 10:21 PM

Well I like the camera for daytime pics but they're not real good for nighttime. They'll catch the critter but won't show much detail. So far I like my moultrie 880s better.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum