Texas Hunting Forum

Storing knives in FoodSaver/vacuum plastic bag to prevent rust?

Posted By: Timmy Tuna

Storing knives in FoodSaver/vacuum plastic bag to prevent rust? - 02/18/15 01:40 PM

I've recently purchased a couple of damascus steel knives which I know can be a bit more prone to corrosion. I put some oil on a cloth and wrapped then put the cloth and the knives into foodsaver vacuum sealed bags.

Is this a good way to prevent long term corrosion? Is there a better way? I just want to come up with a long term solution that I don't ever need to worry about taking them out and oiling them every once in a while.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Storing knives in FoodSaver/vacuum plastic bag to prevent rust? - 02/18/15 02:18 PM

I wouldn't trust a food saver to get all the moisture out. It's just going to trap some of it in the bag with your knife.

I have a couple of Damascus knives, too. I just keep some very light oil on them and keep them in the gun safe with the golden rod. Have had zero rust.

I think if you keep oil on them, and keep them out of the sheath, you'll be fine.
Posted By: Timmy Tuna

Re: Storing knives in FoodSaver/vacuum plastic bag to prevent rust? - 02/18/15 08:42 PM

Gracias!
Posted By: billybob

Re: Storing knives in FoodSaver/vacuum plastic bag to prevent rust? - 02/18/15 10:57 PM

You can buy a stainless damascus that will be rust or corrosion resistant. It's considerably more expensive than your high carbon stuff.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Storing knives in FoodSaver/vacuum plastic bag to prevent rust? - 02/18/15 11:24 PM

Oil or wax will serve your purpose. As mentioned above, don't store them in the sheath, Consider your handle material, some woods and horns will discolor if left in contact with oils.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum