Texas Hunting Forum

bipods for predator "viewing"

Posted By: thatoneguy

bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/14/15 07:13 PM

so ive been watching the man channel and there have been a few shows about predator hunting. in specific coyote. and ive noticed these nice bipods and shooting sticks. so i tried my buddies .17 HMR with a bipod a while back. and i loved it! nailed a rabbit at about 60yds! needless to say, momma was happy her plants were going to be okay and that we were having rabbit stew! so i have decided to invest in one for my .243, granted 500yd shots wont be happening, but i think it would help stabilize my shots. so i gots to looking and i found one that fits my price range and seems about the height i need. 13.5"-23". its a blackhawk sportster adj/pivot bipod. and i think im getting an okay deal. but i can not for the life of me find a review for it anywhere. i find it for the smaller size, and it has mixed reviews. but i want to know about the 13.5"-23". anybody here have experience with it? im tall so going with something smaller wont really work well. comfort and what not.
thanks!
Posted By: DStroud

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/14/15 10:04 PM

I have one and it's OK ...next time I will buy Harris.
Posted By: thatoneguy

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/14/15 10:55 PM

cool! thanks!
Posted By: ccoker

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/16/15 02:37 PM

http://tacticalgunreview.com/precision-rifle-solutions-tripod-review/#more-19454
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/17/15 05:46 AM

Harris is about the bottom of where I start looking at bipods. Atlas seems to be top notch. Eventually, I will own a Hog Saddle and a quality camera tripod to go all out.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/17/15 08:37 PM

Make your own.

I saw this method a few years ago, not sure where, but is one method of making shooting sticks. First get 2 fiberglass electric fence posts from a farm and ranch supply house and a 6" piece of 3/8" ID rubber hose. Total cost less than $5.

Tools, you will need a sharp knife or an Xacto knife to cut the hose, a magic marker to mark your cuts and a ruler.

You will cut out a portion of the middle of the hose. In the middle mark 2" and 1/3 of the outside diameter of the hose, a 2" long rectangle. This is your cut line.

The cut out section removed from your hose.

Insert the top of one of the fiberglass poles into the cut opening and slide it about 6" in to the hose. Then do the same with the other fiberglass pole.

Cross the poles, and you now have a pair of shooting sticks.

To keep them tight and add more stability I add a castration band, these are available at farm and ranch supply houses. Or you can use a heavy duty rubber band. These also serve a dual purpose in that when you move from place to place, you can slide the band down the sticks and it keeps them together so they don't flop around.

Supplies and tool list

2 fiberglass electric fence poles
1 piece of 3/8" ID rubber hose
1 castration band or heavy rubber band
Magic Marker
Sharp knife
Ruler

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/18/15 09:12 PM

Saw this at the Dallas Safari Club convention yesterday

Very slick, light and very portable

www.Kramerdesigncorp.com
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/18/15 10:11 PM

I use a Caldwell bipod from academy. Really nice quality for the price. I'm completely happy with mine, and as of right now, I don't have a reason to spend more. I believe they have a long leg version as well.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/19/15 07:35 AM

Originally Posted By: ccoker
Saw this at the Dallas Safari Club convention yesterday

Very slick, light and very portable

www.Kramerdesigncorp.com

I hear a lot of good things about the Snipe Pod. I've considered getting one for more portable set ups.

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/22/15 05:22 PM

https://snipepod.com/design_summary.html
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: bipods for predator "viewing" - 01/22/15 07:29 PM

Dogcatcher, I did something very similar back in the 60s, but used two old golf clubs that I bought for a dollar at a garage sale. The handle grip material on the clubs does not scratch any portion of your gun. I also used mine with several pistols.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum