Texas Hunting Forum

Dearborn space heater

Posted By: Dove Weed

Dearborn space heater - 11/11/14 07:36 PM

I have a line on a 12K BTU Dearborn space heater. I am wanting it so I don't freeze at night in an old 28ft trailer. The trailer is definitely not air tight but I am concerned with it running at night when I sleep, however this is when I need it. Is this a good idea?
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Dearborn space heater - 11/12/14 09:08 PM

You would be better off with an electric heater. JMO
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Dearborn space heater - 11/14/14 03:08 AM

Lots of people give it up due to gas space heaters.

I know a little one inky blind sucks out all the air and I can barely stay awake. That's Ina stand!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Dearborn space heater - 11/14/14 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
You would be better off with an electric heater. JMO

Or bare min the mr buddy 18k btu with auto oxygen cut off.

To the op, I warm my trailer up with the mr buddy then switch to the electric at night... Not worth the gamble
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Dearborn space heater - 11/14/14 07:19 AM

Every year there are news stories about hunters dying from a propane heater. You don't want to be this years new article. They make outside vented propane wall heaters, but to be safe it is highly recommended that they are installed by a professional and still have carbon monoxide detectors.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Dearborn space heater - 11/14/14 01:12 PM

About 20 years ago a friend of mine was found dead in his deer stand. They blamed the heater.
Posted By: coolie

Re: Dearborn space heater - 11/14/14 01:49 PM

I grew up with Dearborn heaters. They were turned down at bedtime to pilot light only, or off altogether. Whoever woke up first turned it back up. My grandmother wrapped heated bricks in towels, and put them in bed with us at our feet. It also helped that we had about four blankets. It worked.
Being a little cold makes one sleep well.
Posted By: Dove Weed

Re: Dearborn space heater - 11/15/14 05:48 PM

Thanks everybody for the input. The old trailer has a wall heater that looks like it has never been used. However, I am a little leery of a gas heat source in a wall, especially a trailer. We don't have electricity on the lease so we are stuck with running a 5KW generator that will wake the dead. The 1500 watt lasko heater we had last year was about one step above a match. Looks like I will try one of those Buddy Heaters and crack the windows open.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum