Texas Hunting Forum

Another pistol topic - powder

Posted By: 603Country

Another pistol topic - powder - 03/12/18 09:23 PM

Just finished up the 38 and 357 reloads, and finally used up about the last of my Unique. I bought some Universal to replace it with. Anybody have any input on how the two powders compare on powder charges. For the 38, I load 4.5 gr of Unique under 158 gr Keith type cast bullets. Naturally, i’ll consult my reloading books and do a workup, but will I need more or less Universal for about the same load performance. Any info you wish to share will be appreciated before I move to the new powder.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/12/18 09:59 PM

Take you a look at the Hodgdon reloading dat center. They list 4.5as max. When I first started loading with Universal IIRC 4.2gr was my chosen load with a hard cast Keith type 158gr. Shot well from my 38s and 357s
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/12/18 10:28 PM

I’llload some up tomorrow and try them out, working up to the 4.2. I never like loading pistol rounds to max, so this sounds good. Thanks.

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/12/18 10:54 PM

What I really like about Hodgdon's clays series of powders which Universal is the slowest burning is how clean they burn. Good consistency from them as well
Posted By: chesterc

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/13/18 09:27 PM

By clean burning are you talking about clays not leaving much residue in the pistol or about making a cloud when you fire? I have been loading Accurate No 2 in my 38 loads and it makes a helacious cloud when I fire the cartridges.

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/13/18 09:52 PM

No real cloud and very little powder residue
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/19/18 04:55 PM

BE-86

up
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/20/18 02:24 PM

I bought some Acme coated bullets for my .357, loaded them light (target loads). haven't shot them yet. 158SWC and 148 Flat based wadcutters.

Trail Boss, 231, titegroup.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/20/18 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Sorry to hijack the post, but what clean powder would you suggest to use for 38 special and 45 ACP?

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/20/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Sorry to hijack the post, but what clean powder would you suggest to use for 38 special and 45 ACP?

Depending on the bullet type and weight but Universal Clays works for about all, so same powder I suggested above

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/21/18 03:00 AM

Just to be clear. You guys are talking about "Universal" (which says Clays Technology on the label):

https://www.hodgdon.com/universal/

And not "Clays":

https://www.hodgdon.com/clays/

which, apparently, also can be used in pistols cartridges and not just shotgun shells?

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/21/18 03:15 AM

Hodgdon Clays powders have 3 different powders in the family.

Clays is the fastest burning of the 3 and I have loaded pounds upon pounds of it for 12ga target and dove loads. Also it is listed for light handgun loads in many cases. This powder I switched to for competition 12ga shotgun loads when it came out. Shoot 3 rounds of trap or skeet and the barrel has less powder residue than 5 shots of shells loaded with Red Dot powder. I have shot lots of lead plinking loads in the 38 special using this powder but caution to never double charge as its loads would fir for sure.

Clays International is the medium burning of the family and I have not seen handgun data for it in years. Mostly I have used this one for 12ga light skeet and hunting loads.

Clays Universal like the name indicates it is very adaptive and useful in some smaller guage guns like 20 and 28 but is also used in lots of handgun loads. If I recall correctly this powder is close to Unique in burn rate and versatility

All three are clean burning powders.

Go to this page for lots of handgun and shotgun data using these powders as well as Winchester and IMR powders http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/22/18 02:19 AM

Thanks for the info!!
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/29/18 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I bought some Acme coated bullets for my .357, loaded them light (target loads). haven't shot them yet. 158SWC and 148 Flat based wadcutters.

I've loaded some Acme red coated 158gr bullets with a fairly stiff charge of 2400 and it gave off a sickening smell, like burning plastic.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Another pistol topic - powder - 03/29/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: bluetopper
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

I've loaded some Acme red coated 158gr bullets with a fairly stiff charge of 2400 and it gave off a sickening smell, like burning plastic.

great, cant wait barf
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum