Texas Hunting Forum

Ladder Testing?

Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Ladder Testing? - 03/04/18 02:50 AM

OK, I'm an old guy who's been reloading for only 50 years or so. Seems like lately a LOT of emphasis is on things like distance-to-the-lands, comparators, ogive (is it pronounced "oh-give" or "o-jive"?), ladder tests, etc. Not wanting to get behind the times, I thought I'd try the ladder test... Hope I got the first step done right... scratch

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/04/18 02:54 AM

scratch

clap
Posted By: Tye

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/04/18 04:45 AM

Well, did the ladder help you find the right load. Or was it a little shaky? grin
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/04/18 01:47 PM

I guess I'm an "old guy" too (even though I'm in my 30's), because I've never cared about all the little measurements people fuss over these days. I'd rather be shooting and loading.
Posted By: JJH

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/04/18 02:32 PM

Another old guy, here. 56 yrs of reloading. But a few years ago, I was convinced to try a run out gauge. THAT has saved me mucho time and $$ in finding good loads.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/04/18 03:30 PM

Been doing it between 40 and 50; don't remember. What are we talking about. I forgot.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/04/18 03:31 PM

You know, a tripod might be lighter...but that is a neat ammo holder.

OG reloader here too.
Since I only hunt pigs, all I care about is MOP(Minute Of Pig) and don't sweat the small stuff.
I do stay on the safe side as I don't want to become all blowed-up.

Speaking of precision, I know there have been LOTS of game taken with those little LEE Loader kits.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/04/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Vern1
You know, a tripod might be lighter...but that is a neat ammo holder.

But a tripod can't help you up into a tree. I wonder why I've seen no ladder slings on sale in all those emails I get bombarded with each and every day...

nidea

Another OG here. First pulled the handle in the 70s and fooled with it occasionally and read a lot in the ensuing years (I spent a lot of years too BROKE to do much else except hunt with a 10-22), but got into the game with a vengeance in the early 90s.

What I DO is art, what I am fascinated by is the science.

My reloading activity is directed hunting, and using standard sporter weight rifles for the most part. I do like to strive for accuracy in my loading, but I won't BUY my accuracy by having rifles built. Well...I DO have one custom in 6mm.

My interest in the science of it all is really *almost* completely separate. Playing with QuickLOAD, studying internal ballistics, bullet stability...those things keep me from getting enough sleep.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/05/18 01:27 PM

That is not how this works. That is not how any of this is supposed to work! whip

grin
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/05/18 01:35 PM

peep
Posted By: ZenArchery

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/05/18 01:55 PM

Wrong ladder bro. Need a platform ladder. Duh!
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Ladder Testing? - 03/07/18 10:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum