How not to remove a primer!

Posted By: ChadTRG42

How not to remove a primer! - 01/30/18 09:54 PM

To remove a primer, you do NOT:

Hold a case upside down
Insert case into upside down sizing die with decapping pin
And bang the die on table while holding case
Wait for loud bang

Fed 210 primer launched 7 feet up and embedded itself into the sheet rock above. It made for a good laugh. (And no, I didn't do this, but I know who did!)

Looking from below.

Side view.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/30/18 09:58 PM

I once chambered a primed 270 win case and fired a primer in the house to see how loud it was, it was loud.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/30/18 10:07 PM

Pesky presses. Who needs em?
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/30/18 10:42 PM

Wet the primer. Should be safe then, yes?
Posted By: Judd

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 12:00 AM

rofl

rofl
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 12:06 AM

I needed a good laugh. Thanks!
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Pesky presses. Who needs em?

Handloading taken literally!
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I once chambered a primed 270 win case and fired a primer in the house to see how loud it was, it was loud.

I did the same, but I put a Capplug on the muzzle and pointed it into my wife's office across the hall and fired it. It made a LOT more velocity than I expected.
wife
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I did the same, but I put a Capplug on the muzzle and pointed it into my wife's office across the hall and fired it. It made a LOT more velocity than I expected.
wife

Once skipped a case, and seated a Ballistic Tip in the STW, fired it at the range, no bang, found that the pressure of the fired CCI250 pushed a 150 grain Ball Tip a couple inches down the bore. A trip to the gunsmith and 50 bucks to get it out. bang
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 02:38 AM

First rounds of 50BMG I loaded there was one the primer crimp was not removed enough and skewed the primer a little so though I would just pop the primer by putting it in the rifle and shooting just the primer no powder or bullet of course then though this will be loud so dropped a towel on the carpet and put the muzzle down on said towel before popping the primer. Glad I did, at least the towel was the thing smoldering not the carpet that was through a 26 inch barrel

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
To remove a primer, you do NOT:

Hold a case upside down
Insert case into upside down sizing die with decapping pin
And bang the die on table while holding case
Wait for loud bang

Fed 210 primer launched 7 feet up and embedded itself into the sheet rock above. It made for a good laugh. (And no, I didn't do this, but I know who did!)

Looking from below.

Side view.

Leave that in the ceiling until you sell the place, please.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 07:59 PM

Scary. Glad he wasn't leaning to far forward. So far, the worst I've done was prime half my prepped cases before remembering to put on glasses. Did he p his pants?
Posted By: Bbear

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 08:36 PM

looks like it had good weight retention though the penetration is a bit light crazy
Posted By: Teal28

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 09:07 PM

roflmao

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Bbear
looks like it had good weight retention though the penetration is a bit light crazy

Yeah, the BC on that projectile is not very good!!! smile
Posted By: cblackall

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 01/31/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Bbear

Federal 210’s I believe are bonded, but they really lack a good BC to maintain velocity and drive through. I think a 215 would give the desired penetration.

I’ll own this one. A morning of frustration coming to a head with a stubborn primer. Lacking the proper decapping die, I went 30% caveman, 70% fireman on it. I was a lot calmer after lift-off, luckily with both eyes still intact. I knew better, but sometimes it takes a little reminding.
Posted By: earl39

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/01/18 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Wet the primer. Should be safe then, yes?

Nope. did a test last year with gun oil, WD-40 and water. Let the primers sit for 2 days, kept them wet, loaded them in an empty case and everyone went bang. For the record these were Wolf LRM primers.

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/01/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: cblackall
I went 30% caveman, 70% fireman on it.

I KNEW IT!!!!

One of our retires chiefs would say "firemen can tear up an anvil with a loaf of bread".
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/01/18 08:34 PM

When I was 7-8 I smashed a 12ga primer on a garage floor with the point side of a Crescent wrench. Yeah, it was pretty loud.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/02/18 12:44 AM

I KNEW IT!!!!

One of our retires chiefs would say "firemen can tear up an anvil with a loaf of bread".

Moch like having the ability to break a ball bearing with a rubber mallet

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/02/18 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

I KNEW IT!!!!

Moch like having the ability to break a ball bearing with a rubber mallet

Same thing.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/02/18 06:20 PM

Should have used a partition
laugh flag lizard smile ani banana
Posted By: ASIC777

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/04/18 05:36 PM

My first impression ( No pun intended) was that it was seated flush ....

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/09/18 09:30 PM

I think this is ridiculous, running a .308 like its a 300 Win Mag. Hope he got all his digits attached. 3,100 fps. lol444

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/09/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: TackDriver
I think this is ridiculous, running a .308 like its a 300 Win Mag. Hope he got all his digits attached. 3,100 fps. lol444

WOW!!! 3100fps in a 308, that's... unbelievable.

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/09/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

It's cause it is!!! I'm running a 185 Berger Hybrid at 2742 fps in a 28" barrel. I got it up to around 2760 or 2770 at pressure. Add 2" of barrel, and that's about 50 fps for 2820 fps. That's 280 fps faster. No way, Jose! But... it may be because he's using Lapua Winchester brass.

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/09/18 09:59 PM

"it may be because he's using Lapua Winchester brass"
I'm gonna get some of that stuff, Santa, Easter bunny, somebody can hook me up. Ordered a new barrel yesterday at 27 inches and planned to have it finished at 24. After reading that, think I'll weld at least 3 more inches to that 27 so I too can reach...unbelievable velocities. I'm so excited!!!
185 grains in a 308 at 3100, that's cooking, cooking someones face.

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/10/18 01:16 AM

It No way, Jose! But... it may be because he's using Lapua Winchester brass.

rofl

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/10/18 02:10 AM

It's cause it is!!! I'm running a 185 Berger Hybrid at 2742 fps in a 28" barrel. I got it up to around 2760 or 2770 at pressure. Add 2" of barrel, and that's about 50 fps for 2820 fps. That's 280 fps faster. No way, Jose! But... it may be because he's using Lapua Winchester brass.

...all that and throw in a wild imagination.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/10/18 08:58 AM

Many years ago I had a 50 BMG case that was primed and I wanted to make something else out of it. I put it in a padded vise and decided to just tap the primer with a punch to "pop" it. It set the primer off just fine and after I got the pieces out of my thumb I decided maybe I should have taken a different approach. It turned the end of my thumb numb and blackened it up so at least the pain wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Re: How not to remove a primer! - 02/10/18 01:34 PM

When I was about nine or ten years old I snagged one of my uncle's rifle primers, set it on the concrete in the carport, and hit it with a hammer. I never was tempted to do that again.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum