Texas Hunting Forum

Barnes TSX Hammer

Posted By: txbigly

Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/29/18 03:19 PM

300 gr Barnes TSX in a Weatherby 378 Mag. Broke front shoulder, clipped both lungs,punch a hole in the heart,broke a rib and stuck between the rib and skin on the backside. Bullet still weighs 299 gr. Big thanks to Chad @ Dallas Reloads for these hammers.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/29/18 03:34 PM

cheers Wow, that is awesome! Glad it worked well for you! Thank you for the update!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/29/18 03:43 PM

Cant believe that critter managed to contain that bullet, I would have thought it would have gone through a tank.

Congrats.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/29/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Cant believe that critter managed to contain that bullet, I would have thought it would have gone through a tank.

Congrats.

Me too. I bet that thumped him pretty good.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/29/18 05:00 PM

Very impressive! I am considering trying the 180 gr. TSX in my .300 Wby. Several years back I had outstanding results with the original Barnes X in this rifle and in a Dakota Arms .275 H&H (Not to be confused with the .375 H&H). The X bullet maintained weight and expanded with intact "flower pedals" in both calibers.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/29/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: txbigly

300 gr Barnes TSX in a Weatherby 378 Mag. Broke front shoulder, clipped both lungs,punch a hole in the heart,broke a rib and stuck between the rib and skin on the backside. Bullet still weighs 299 gr. Big thanks to Chad @ Dallas Reloads for these hammers.

Wasn't a broadside shot was it? Quartering to you?

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/29/18 11:22 PM

Yes , Quartering toward me. Believe it or not you dont get a lot of exit wounds with these critters.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/30/18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: txbigly
Yes , Quartering toward me. Believe it or not you dont get a lot of exit wounds with these critters.

Some tough thick hide on those critters. I bet that bullet stretched the hide out pretty far before coming to a rest under the hide
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/30/18 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Congrats.

+1 Amazing that bullet did not exit.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/30/18 01:54 AM

Excellent!!!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/30/18 02:28 AM

Nice! Anything big and tough gets a TSX from my rifles.
Posted By: magspa

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/31/18 02:38 AM

Did he manage to run at all after that?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 01/31/18 04:19 AM

TX, you look so happy in your picture.

Beautiful bull!!
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 02/01/18 03:00 AM

Nice bull. I guess you need a 50 BMG to get an exit on a Nilgai bull.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 02/01/18 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
Nice bull. I guess you need a 50 BMG to get an exit on a Nilgai bull.

I have shot four nilgai bulls with a 7 STW with 150 Swift Scirocco, 3350 fps, and at the crease behind the shoulders and blew through each time with thumbsized exits out the other end. Broke a few ribs in. Each made like a 50 yard dash and dropped. Never tried on a shoulder bone, I doubt that it will go through all that bone like the 378 Bee with a Barnes. I don't like to shoot in the shoulders though.

Nice bull there.

Re: Barnes TSX Hammer - 02/02/18 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: magspa
Did he manage to run at all after that?

Negative, He folded up like a card table.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum