Texas Hunting Forum

BS stuff about guns you hear?

Posted By: redchevy

BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 08:16 PM

Last night at dinner a family member told me about how a 25-06 when shot at distance would have a trajectory that was on at 100 yards low at 200 yards, but would curve back up at 250 yards and be just a hair low at 300.

Another long time hunter and family member said a 270 zeroed at 100 yards would be less than an inch low at 300 yards. Have been told the same thing about 22 hornet, 222, and 22-250

What have you heard and where do you think stuff like this comes from?
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 08:38 PM

Were they drunk? grin
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 08:41 PM

I have no idea. I can’t wrap my mind around that sort of ignorance. I tend to distance myself from people like that before I have a chance to find the source.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TackDriver
Were they drunk? grin

I would be if I had to listen to that nonsense.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 08:43 PM

This isn’t related to guns, but we HAD an idiot on our lease that told us there are no coons in Texas. They’re all coatimundis.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 08:44 PM

You didn't know 25-06 travels on imaginary roller-coaster tracks?!

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 08:48 PM

Were they drunk? grin

Not in the slightest.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 09:03 PM

I had a guy I work with ask me if the new scope he bought came bore sited from the factory or would he have to do it. roflmao
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Teal28
I had a guy I work with ask me if the new scope he bought came bore sited from the factory or would he have to do it.

Soooo what was your answer?!

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 09:20 PM

Hes not a gun guy or even a hunter. I just smiled and said no, then offered to mount it for him.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 10:30 PM

I have heard folks say that a bullet will actually rise before it begins its drop. Was any explanation offered for the wave like trajectory?

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 10:32 PM

Have heard the rise thing as well.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Have heard the rise thing as well.

Yup.

And I respond "completely false, 100% sure about it". That is usually accepted.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 10:59 PM

I heard that a .50 BMG will suck the eyeballs out of a doe with a near miss! ROFL!! I've heard some really off the wall things about a lot of things firearms wise. I tend to forget them quickly, but it amazes me how uneducated some people are when it comes to firearms.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 11:11 PM

Wow, I should have kept a written log on these.

I had a guy argue with me that the things on top of a scope were "turnips", not turrets. I have lots of them.

I'll think of more later.....

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 11:37 PM

Clip
Ballistic Tip

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Clip
Ballistic Tip

Yelp! I hear guys talk about a Hornady Ballistic Tip all the time. Nosler is the only company who makes a "Ballistic Tip", which is a name for a certain bullet bullet. Almost all the other bullet companies make a polymer or plastic tip bullet, but it's not a ballistic tip.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/22/18 11:45 PM

most of the stuff I read on here
Posted By: Cleric

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 12:18 AM

One guy shot at a deer (and missed) but had us all out looking for hours to help him find it. Another guy in a blind 200 yards away said he heard it hear the deer
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 12:56 AM

Some guy says he shot at a buck and the bullet never hit it and that it died from the shockwave. roflmao
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 01:05 AM

That a 45 ACP will knock a man backwards and off his feet. Overheard a box store gun counter guy tell this to a customer.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 01:28 AM

Just hang out at an Academy gun counter for an hour and you’ll hear all the above and better. Highly entertaining if you’ve got nothing else going on.
Posted By: hetman

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 02:12 AM

popcorn
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Wow, I should have kept a written log on these.

I had a guy argue with me that the things on top of a scope were "turnips", not turrets. I have lots of them.

I'll think of more later.....

Guess that guy had fallen off the turret wagon going through town the night before.
farmer
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 02:22 AM

A few years ago I met a friend of a family member for the first time. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but we started talking guns and stuff and he informed me that he handloaded his 243 Win to get over 4000 fps with 100 grain bullets.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 02:23 AM

Some guy says he shot at a buck and the bullet never hit it and that it died from the shockwave. roflmao

ok, I may be one of "those" guys on this one. Back when I was shooting my 7mm WSM, I shot at a doe with her head down, aiming for the neck. She dropped dead at the shot. When I got up to her, there was a crease on her neck with no hair but the skin (hide) was not broken but she was very dead. confused2

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth
A few years ago I met a friend of a family member for the first time. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but we started talking guns and stuff and he informed me that he handloaded his 243 Win to get over 4000 fps with 100 grain bullets.

Maybe he did. I wouldn’t be around when he shot it, just in case.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 02:48 AM

In all fairness, I have been guilty of the ballistic tip comment before, but that's because I don't hunt and used to classify things into 3 categories - FMJ, hollow point, ballistic tip. Obviously ignorant and incorrect.

roflmao I'm dying over here.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
most of the stuff I read on here

There is some truth to your statement specifically about rifles, scopes & bullets for hunting.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
I have heard folks say that a bullet will actually rise before it begins its drop. Was any explanation offered for the wave like trajectory?

People misunderstand LOS
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

ok, I may be one of "those" guys on this one. Back when I was shooting my 7mm WSM, I shot at a doe with her head down, aiming for the neck. She dropped dead at the shot. When I got up to her, there was a crease on her neck with no hair but the skin (hide) was not broken but she was very dead. confused2

You were shooting a Tikka probably!!
Posted By: DStroud

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 04:30 AM

I once told my uncle after he explained how he Shot an elk at 750yds with his 257 Weatherby by just holding a little high on it’s shoulder that if that’s the case then he should be sure and step to the left if he ever missed a shot. He asked why and I explained that way when the bullet traveled around the world it wouldn’t hit him in the back of the head.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 05:12 AM

Dingding ding we have a winner ....DStroud's told the best 'un I've heard in LONNNNG time banana
Ron
Posted By: copperhead

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 12:47 PM

I'll tell new people I dove hunt with I'll only do head shots on them to preserve the meat.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 01:17 PM

Heard an RO tell a man and his grandson they couldn't shoot his 22 on the 100 yard range due to the fact that it wasn't powerful enough to hit the target accurately.

several folks have bragged about super fast ammo. 4000fps out of a 243 is a common one. had a guy tell me that his 3030 was running 3000fps.eek2

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
I once told my uncle after he explained how he Shot an elk at 750yds with his 257 Weatherby by just holding a little high on it’s shoulder that if that’s the case then he should be sure and step to the left if he ever missed a shot. He asked why and I explained that way when the bullet traveled around the world it wouldn’t hit him in the back of the head.

Friend of mine at work "JG, I think I have room for a thousand yard shot on my land". I said, put a laser range finder on it and get back to me.

The next shift he came in like this eek2 "It is 500 yards. My gawd, yall can hit small targets at a thousand, hell 500 is a long damn ways".
Posted By: Roadhog61

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 03:39 PM

I do believe I would have asked for a demonstration of that theory first hand.
Posted By: Cast

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 03:56 PM

My 25-06 shoots in a corkscrew pattern just like it's supposed to.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 04:22 PM

Had a guy swear up and down his Contender in 44 Rem Mag would blow a 1 inch hole in anything he shot, including paper targets. I called BS on it, but it turned out he was right. We were at the range one day and he demo'd it for me. Sure enough, there was a big ragged hole in the target when he shot it with that Contender. I said let me look at that pistol. He handed it over and I noticed something odd about the muzzle. Turns out he had been shooting it with the factory shotshell choke screwed into the muzzle. Took out all of the spin from the rifling and made the bullet tumble.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 05:41 PM

Oh, the #1 thing I hear that's BS, is "that my gun doesn't like this XYZ bullet". That's a false statement (and true at the same time)! Yes, the true part is the current ammunition (load) you are shooting with that bullet your rifle does not like (currently). What your rifle does NOT like is the powder and powder charge used with that bullet. I can (generally) take most any bullet and make it shoot good out of that rifle that you said doesn't like this bullet, and make it shoot. I do this by tuning the powder and powder charge to the harmonics of the barrel. This will dial in "the bullet" to shoot accurately and consistently. I have done it MANY times!

Or, "My gun only likes XX grain weight bullets". No, it will like other weight bullets. Same thing as above.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 05:46 PM

Yes! That's a good one. I had a similar experience at a store talking ammo and hunting. A guy said he shot an elk at about 700 yards by holding at the top of his back. I forget the slow round he was shooting, but I quickly said that animal wasn't 700 yards then. He argued, and I quickly told him what I did and ran a quick trajectory chart. I told him sure, that elk was probably 300-400 yards, but not 700. It's not possible with the round/bullet you are shooting and the hold on the elk you describe. He left mumbling off.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 06:19 PM

Oh, the #1 thing I hear that's BS, is "that my gun doesn't like this XYZ bullet". That's a false statement (and true at the same time)! Yes, the true part is the current ammunition (load) you are shooting with that bullet your rifle does not like (currently). What your rifle does NOT like is the powder and powder charge used with that bullet. I can (generally) take most any bullet and make it shoot good out of that rifle that you said doesn't like this bullet, and make it shoot. I do this by tuning the powder and powder charge to the harmonics of the barrel. This will dial in "the bullet" to shoot accurately and consistently. I have done it MANY times!

Or, "My gun only likes XX grain weight bullets". No, it will like other weight bullets. Same thing as above.

I’m glad you’ve made this clear. It’s something I’ve always suspected, but didn’t have the experience to prove.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 08:03 PM

I was at academy once and the guy behind the counter was trying to explain a scope to a guy. The scope had turrets and the guy behind the counter told the prospective buyer that you zero it at 100 yards the. Loosen the turret and turn to the 1 which was 1 MIL OR MOA not sure. Then he said to shoot at 200 place it on 2, 300 3 and that it would work all the way out to 1000 yards. To top it the buyer was bragging about getting into long Range shooting and was interest d in a 30-06. I just shook my head and walked away.
Posted By: hetman

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Teal28

several folks have bragged about super fast ammo. 4000fps out of a 243 is a common one. had a guy tell me that his 3030 was running 3000fps.eek2

Mike Daly, Hodgdon’s Director of Customer Service, writes: “The 243 quickly gained a reputation for being a great hunting cartridge. When coupled with H4895 and a 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, the 243 will deliver over 4050 fps for taking varmints. For larger varmints, the Barnes 85gr Triple Shock” X-BT bullet will deliver great performance with a max load of H4350 driving it over 3200 fps. For deer and antelope hunters, it is hard to beat the Speer 100gr BTSP powered by H4350 at over 2970 fps. For Mule Deer, [I use] a Nosler 95gr Partition bullet driven to approximately 3085 fps by a maximum load of H4350. This combination has accounted for many deer, a few antelope and even a coyote or two.”

accelerator Type Sabots for .30 Caliber Cartridges

Now you can hand-load your 30 caliber handgun or rifle to shoot hyper-velocity .224 caliber bullets! Fit the .224 bullets into our Sabots with the Sabot Bullet Seater die. Then load the sabots as you would any .308 caliber bullet. The Bullet seater die is required for consistent seating of bullets into the sabots… accuracy requires consistency! Shoot to 3,500 fps in a 30-30... 4,200 fps in a 30-06. Free Load Data is Included with Every Sabot Order! Sabots flower away from the bullet after exiting the muzzle. Made of injection molded plastic, sabots won't harm your barrel and bores are easy to clean with Hoppes #9.
On-Line Load Data - It includes advice for developing your own loads for various .30 caliber cartridges plus specific data for 30-30, 30 Herrett, 30 Carbine, 308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, etc. Click Here!
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 09:50 PM

I think NFA stuff brings out the derp in people, even ROs. Had an RO tell me (at elmfork) that i should should dial up about 6" when moving to the 100yd range (from the 50) because the suppressor kills all the velocity of a bullet, i was shooting my AR-10

I've had several ROs demand to see my "paperwork" (on SBRs, MGs and cans) because they are "required by law" to check it

or the classic "aren't those illegal?" or the "don't you need a class III license for that?"
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 10:24 PM

Glad I don't have to shoot at a range amongst all the experts. soap

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 10:27 PM

Here's one on me... when did the 21 day waiting period to buy a handgun go away? I bought a glock a few weeks ago and was surprised I could take it home that day. At bass pro they even hand it to you at the gun counter and you carry it in the store. At academy I think they have a manager carry it to the door.
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/23/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Here's one on me... when did the 21 day waiting period to buy a handgun go away? I bought a glock a few weeks ago and was surprised I could take it home that day. At bass pro they even hand it to you at the gun counter and you carry it in the store. At academy I think they have a manager carry it to the door.

i been buying guns a long time and never had to wait on one
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/24/18 01:27 AM

Well put, I was at the range sighting in a rifle after a scope change and was asked how fast the load was. I told them and they said I could get lots more speed out of a 25-06. I informed them I was after accuracy not speed. It is amazing how slowing a bullet down (or up) 100 to 150 FPS will do to tighten up your groups.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/24/18 03:34 AM

Not a gun topic per say but I’ve been told a coyote is the only animal fast enough to dodge a bullet.

When I asked how they figured that they said “well, it ducked when I shot at it”

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/24/18 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Not a gun topic per say but I’ve been told a coyote is the only animal fast enough to dodge a bullet.

When I asked how they figured that they said “well, it ducked when I shot at it”

Never heard of jumping the powder.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/24/18 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
My 25-06 shoots in a corkscrew pattern just like it's supposed to.

My 22mag must be trying to imitate your 25-06. I can't get it to shoot under 3 inch groups at 100.

Not really stupid stuff people say but did everyone see that post about Franklin "Reformation" with straight rifling shooting special bullets? I'm still not sure if that is a hoax, or did they really produce this rifle tube with trigger.
Posted By: maximum

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/24/18 05:06 PM

Yes! That's a good one. I had a similar experience at a store talking ammo and hunting. A guy said he shot an elk at about 700 yards by holding at the top of his back. I forget the slow round he was shooting, but I quickly said that animal wasn't 700 yards then. He argued, and I quickly told him what I did and ran a quick trajectory chart. I told him sure, that elk was probably 300-400 yards, but not 700. It's not possible with the round/bullet you are shooting and the hold on the elk you describe. He left mumbling off.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

there are piles of animals killed every year at "500" yards roflmao

probably as many that are hit fatally and never recovered or looked
for because they didn't fall right away and ran maybe 10 yards and
fell just out of sight

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/24/18 05:59 PM

Guy I know claimed to shoot an elk at 500 yards running with a 7mm mag. He said he held the crosshairs on the tip of the bulls nose to compensate for lead and drop. Didn't believe it then and don't now.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/24/18 06:19 PM

Lots of cartridges are somewhere between 2.0 and 3.0 Mil at 500 yards, from a 100 yard zero.

In inches, at the target, that's between 36" and 54" of elevation.

I'm not saying he didn't, but I'm not saying he did either.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/24/18 06:24 PM

It was supposedly also standing on a running 4 wheeler and off hand at dusk lol. He has a lot of good stories.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/24/18 07:02 PM

Well, that changes things a bit. grin
Posted By: ASIC777

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/25/18 04:25 AM

A .44 mag will go clean through an engine block .... smile
Posted By: BigDad

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/25/18 02:10 PM

"Blow your head clean off"
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/25/18 02:18 PM

Glocks never jam
AK’s never jam
You can’t shoot lead bullets in a glock
Open carry makes you a target
Don’t put a grip plug in your glock; the air comes out of the hole and will cause a malfunction if it’s plugged
Uzi is what you need for clearing rooms
You can’t miss with a shotgun
12ga loaded with 00 buck is the best HD gun, even for your 78yo grandma. You can’t miss.
30-30 isn’t powerful enough to kill deer/bear/hogs

This is only the beginning.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/25/18 03:14 PM

.223 isn't enough gun for deer or hogs. It may not be the best choice, but it will do the job.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/26/18 09:15 PM

They should set up bleachers and serve refreshments at Academy gun counter! And Wal Mart check outs.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/27/18 02:27 PM

You just gotta file down that pin to make it full auto
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/30/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
That a 45 ACP will knock a man backwards and off his feet. Overheard a box store gun counter guy tell this to a customer.

It's true. I have seen it happen several times in movies.

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/30/18 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
You just gotta file down that pin to make it full auto

You can actually do that with a 10/22, it's why I mailed my trigger group to Brimstone. I feared I'd screw it up and have to replace.
Posted By: Jon

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/31/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565

It's true. I have seen it happen several times in movies.

No Doubt! If Steve McGarrett on Hawaii Five-0 can shoot down a single engine aircraft with a S&W model 36 38 special, I do not doubt anything firearm related being possible.
Posted By: Jon

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 01/31/18 01:32 AM

Chad, this may be an ignorant question, but can you tune the powder and charge for various different "XX grain weight bullets" to make it shoot regardless of barrel twist?
Posted By: rickt300

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 02/23/18 12:24 AM

That the 6.5 Creed is the only cartridge you will ever need and that it is better than a 270!
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 02/23/18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Jon

Chad, this may be an ignorant question, but can you tune the powder and charge for various different "XX grain weight bullets" to make it shoot regardless of barrel twist?

That would be a NO. Rate of twist imposes limits on bullet lengths (and by extension, weights) that will work.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 02/23/18 08:49 AM

"I've got a .220 swift and the barrel will only last 100 for a hundred rounds"

Re: BS stuff about guns you hear? - 02/23/18 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jon

Like what RR said, if the bullet is adequately stable for the twist for the barrel, I can generally get it to shoot well. There are some rifles that I have shot that we tried an aggressive bullet for that rifle set up (short mag box, bullet seated deep, long jump to the rifling, or slower twist rate) and I simply could not get it to shoot for good accuracy (acceptable accuracy). There are those rifles that are finicky. Finicky rifles, I drop down in bullet length (shorter bullet) to a flat base soft point, which is generally lighter, and then slow it down some. I'll also go to a faster burning powder for that combination (bullet weight vs cartridge). Faster burning powders in a given combo have a much larger sweet spot, or accuracy node. There are some calibers that do not like to shoot well at the top speeds, like a 26 Nosler. I can push a 140 grain 150-200 fps faster, but it shoots like crap. Slow it down a little, and it's a hammer.

But I have taken many rifles that a customer said, "My rifle doesn't like XX bullet". They want to shoot that bullet, so I tell them let's go with it, and I make it shoot it very well. They are shocked when I do. That's why I say it's not the "bullet" that the rifle dislikes, it's the load used with that bullet that the rifle doesn't like.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum