Texas Hunting Forum

RCBS Customer Service

Posted By: J.G.

RCBS Customer Service - 01/04/18 02:17 PM

Sunday, during the brutal cold, I hunkered down and processed a batch of 400 pieces of .223 range pick-up. During the process, I broke two decapping pins, and damaged an expander ball (don't ask). As soon as I damaged the expander ball I went online and filled out the form "inquiring about a replacement". 10 minutes later, I filled out a second form when I was down to my last decapping pin. This morning I received two e-mails. One stating more decapping pins were on the way, and the other stating:

Good morning Jason,

I've ordered a replacement decapping unit for you as well as an extra expander ball under warranty. Please allow up to three weeks for delivery, we're a bit backlogged from the holidays.

Thanks for contacting RCBS

I try to buy RCBS first. They make great products, and if there is a problem they correct it. Ultimately, some of this damage was my fault. Had they asked me to elaborate, I would have not had a problem with paying for the parts I need. But that is not how RCBS rolls. up
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/04/18 02:52 PM

RCBS and Hornady both are great when it comes to these situations. I've migrated away from both over the years---beginning with my Co-Ax press, but they do make great stuff and back it up.

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/04/18 03:13 PM

Glad to hear that about Hornady. I have not had to contact them yet. I have some of their dies.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/04/18 03:31 PM

Had similar experience with RCBS as well as Lee. Have some hornady stuff but no problems to this point.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/04/18 04:30 PM

Good to know about RCBS since my press and most of my accessories are from them.

My only experience with Hornady was the other day. I got a set of 6.5 CM dies for Christmas and they came with an extra seating stem. Upon some google investigation, Hornady makes a handful of different stems for each caliber for different types of bullets, but there is not much info about what stems come installed in the seating dies or what p/n the extra stem is. I called and asked and they were able to quickly tell me that the extra stem in the 6.5CM die set was the one for the 130 & 140 ELD-M bullets, which was convenient as I'm planning to load 140s.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/05/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Good to know about RCBS since my press and most of my accessories are from them.

My only experience with Hornady was the other day. I got a set of 6.5 CM dies for Christmas and they came with an extra seating stem. Upon some google investigation, Hornady makes a handful of different stems for each caliber for different types of bullets, but there is not much info about what stems come installed in the seating dies or what p/n the extra stem is. I called and asked and they were able to quickly tell me that the extra stem in the 6.5CM die set was the one for the 130 & 140 ELD-M bullets, which was convenient as I'm planning to load 140s.

I'm glad you posted this. I just got my Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor dies yesterday and noticed the extra stem in the box. I was about to start doing some research to figure out what it was for.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/05/18 02:19 AM

I never did find out what the one that came installed with the die was for. It was shallower and looked like it was maybe for sub-130 grain bullets. They have a different stem that you're supposed to use with the 143 ELD-X and the 147 ELD-M, but I'd be surprised if the stem for the 130-140 ELD-M bullets didn't suffice for the heavier stuff. Although it's not that expensive if you're going to be loading a bunch with it.
Posted By: 700LR

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/05/18 04:47 AM

I've had occasion to call RCBS customer service, actually Vista now 3 times in the last few weeks. One call got me 5 small decapping pins, No Charge. The other 2 calls is where I actually talked to the same knowledgeable young woman about what color RCBS uses on their reloading equipment. I explained to her that I have spent about $50.00 so far on spray paints from ACE, Home Depot, TSC looking for the best match after searching on line for about a week. Come to find out from this lady, that the color is proprietary and "even if we told you what it is you can not buy it". I then suggested I send them my trimmer base so they could powder coat it ... in jest. She said that wouldn't work because of the assembly line and all. Of course I knew that. (:<(

Long story made shorter, no luck on any match I found so far.It is a "hammered" finish on later stuff and a "wrinkle" finish on the early stuff. The hammered finish has a bumply texture, so a gloss spray won't give the right feel even IF you had the right color. I'm still experimenting in this endeavor and will post again IF I have any success.

I told her it was the 4th most asked question on the internet.....

700LR. smile

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/05/18 01:51 PM

English Color will mix as little custom paint as you please.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/05/18 04:20 PM

Ive called Hornady for pins and spindles more than RCBS. Both have shipped for free with extras without any question.
FYI they both will tell you to allow up to 3 weeks for delivery but normally takes a week or less.
Because they do send several extras I have a spare parts drawer with extras for all my dies.
Posted By: BooneDog

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/06/18 03:55 AM

My father in law gave me an old Rockchucker a few years ago with no handle. I called RCBS to order one and they sent me a handle for free including shipping. I was amazed. Felt guilty so I ordered some dies from them that I needed anyways.

I wish Cable providers would take notes from reloading mfg!
Posted By: Tbar

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/06/18 02:23 PM

I placed a large order with RCBS and the UPS box got broke open in transit. A few small pieces were lost. I called them and they got replacements in the mail that day....no questions asked.

Good customer service experience here....... up

Re: RCBS Customer Service - 01/06/18 03:47 PM

It really is a genius business plan.

Don't sweat the small stuff, build a stellar repuation for quality, and support, sell more products.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum