Texas Hunting Forum

.300 AAC Blackout VMAX performance

Posted By: chital_shikari

.300 AAC Blackout VMAX performance - 12/22/17 05:28 PM

Got curious and looked at factory loads of the 300 blackout.
I'm a fan of 55gr VMAX in my 22-250 but I only shoot neck or head. The one body shot I took was recovered and very dead (great damage) but no blood trail. The one shoulder shot my dad took had to be shot again because we didn't give her enough time and she went into a thicket.

So, with the increased weight and lessened velocity, how does this bullet in this cartridge perform? Specifically the Hornady BLACK box, because those are the specs I'm going on.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: .300 AAC Blackout VMAX performance - 12/24/17 03:47 PM

I've shot pigs and coyotes with them. Dropped in their tracks under 100 yds. Super accurate and expansion at Blackout velocity. Unfortunately I've seen some pigs shot over that needed a few shots. The 125 SST or TNT is better for hogs at distance if you use conventional bullets. Once I started shooting with the Barnes black tip that's all I hunt with now.
Posted By: Huckleberry75

Re: .300 AAC Blackout VMAX performance - 12/26/17 06:17 AM

The Barnes Black Tips are usually considered to be "The Standard" in factory hunting ammo for the 300blk in supersonics. I personally roll my own nosler Varmageddon 110's, but that's just what was on the bench.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: .300 AAC Blackout VMAX performance - 12/31/17 04:08 AM

I think you will like them, the Barnes Blacktips are OK for hogs but I don't like the expansion on deer. Seems like it opens slowly..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum