Texas Hunting Forum

Hornady black ammo

Posted By: fonzie

Hornady black ammo - 11/14/17 02:19 AM

Got a few boxes off a guy. They were pretty cheap just wondering if anyone uses them for hunting. They for my 6.5 creedmoor 140gr BTHP
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/14/17 03:50 AM

I just started, since I couldn’t find my usual A-Max ammo. Only killed one deer with it, but it did just what the A-Max always did. It was perfect.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/14/17 02:27 PM

Personally I wouldn't use a target/varmint bullet for deer, which is what that appears to be.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/14/17 02:58 PM

BTHP for paper shooting or plinking, not a hunting bullet.

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/14/17 09:34 PM

The Black I’m using in my Grendel has the ELD bullet. I guess they use a different bullet in the Creedmoor. I don’t know anything about it.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/14/17 11:03 PM

I don't think they really intend the black for hunting in any round but the A-Max does quite well at the Grendel velocities we just don't push them that hard from the mild mannered round.

Hornady didn't recommend the A-Max for game but it sure worked on lots of critters for lots of people.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/14/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TackDriver

There are Sierra Game Kings that are BTHP.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/14/17 11:09 PM

If you notice the Hornady black is only made in rounds commonly used in Semi Auto "black" rifle cartridges. According to one I talked to at Hornady that was part of the naming of the round that the offerings are geared for semiautos in those cartridge selection, of course it will work well functionality wise in all the other actions we manually operate.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/15/17 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: TackDriver

There are Sierra Game Kings that are BTHP.

That is true, he did not stipulate if its a Gameking HPBT. If Matchkings, then no.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/17/17 03:34 PM

Just playing devil's advocate here.... but I've killed a lot of hogs and deer with "target" bullets. Shot plenty of them with Prime 130 BTHP bullets, never lost one.

We all know that most times it's the indian, not the bow. If shooting cheaper target ammo means that you are able to practice more, and be more proficient with your rifle..... then do it! It would be a different conversation if we were talking about killing an elk at 700 yards. It doesn't take that much to kill a lil ole deer!

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/18/17 02:57 AM

Some target bullets offer fantastic results on game. Others, not so much. It boils down to that specific bullet and the velocities you run it. Hunting bullets aren’t much different, really. That’s why I study the construction of the bullet and other’s experiences with them and ignore the label.
Posted By: spg

Re: Hornady black ammo - 11/18/17 03:01 AM

Shoot a couple pigs and find out how performs on meat and bone.
Posted By: ggwill

Re: Hornady black ammo - 12/19/17 01:34 AM

I have very good success with the black 140 gr BTHP on pigs. Not many run far, and now at Academy they are 14.99 a box.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum