Texas Hunting Forum

Which 6mm caliber to build

Posted By: TackDriver

Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/10/17 11:50 PM

I have a Remington 700 in 6 mm BR that I owned for the last 20 years and seeking to have a new barrel built for it plus a McMillian A5 stock and Jewell trigger. There are new calibers in 6 mm like the 6 x 47, 6 Creedmoor, etc. It will be a target rifle mostly. Which caliber would you recommend that is more accurate and longer reaching range possibly 1,000 yards? I see that the BR is a lot smaller than the 6x47 and Creedmoor and won't have the ability to reach out and touch them. I like to use Lapua brass and what twist do you recommend? Seeking some input from you gun fanatics. Thanks
Posted By: spg

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 12:31 AM

.243 win

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 01:50 AM

Noticed that Lapua do not offer brass for 6 x 47 or 6 Creedmoor, needs to be necked down from 6.5 to 6 which is a pita. Would I need to turn necks or any issues I need to look out for if I go that route?

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: TackDriver
Noticed that Lapua do not offer brass for 6 x 47 or 6 Creedmoor, needs to be necked down from 6.5 to 6 which is a pita. Would I need to turn necks or any issues I need to look out for if I go that route?

That's the PITA i go through with my .284.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 02:32 AM

I will be sizing Lapua 6.5 Creed brass for my 6 Creed. My understanding from some knowledgeable folks here is that neck turning will not be required.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz

I will be sizing Lapua 6.5 Creed brass for my 6 Creed. My understanding from some knowledgeable folks here is that neck turning will not be required.

You might experience a donut close to the case neck shoulder junction more on the neck after a few firings. Not sure since your downsizing the neck and I'm expanding 6.5 to 284. I'm sure Chad or Fireman can go more into detail.
Posted By: JJH

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 02:45 AM

The important issue for you is the twist. If you are wanting a target rifle
to shoot out to 1000yds, you will want to use some of the new ultra high BC Bullets. These are long and require a faster twist than typically found.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 04:45 AM

I have necked down a bunch of 6.5 to both 6mm and 22 Creedmoor and the only problems I have experienced was donuts while using bushing Dies. Once I got a FL Whidden die for each all the donut issues went away. I take Lapua from 6.5 to 22 in one pass and load and go hunting.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
I have necked down a bunch of 6.5 to both 6mm and 22 Creedmoor and the only problems I have experienced was donuts while using bushing Dies. Once I got a FL Whidden die for each all the donut issues went away. I take Lapua from 6.5 to 22 in one pass and load and go hunting.

I use whidden FL Whidden bushing die. I found out if I turn the necks before I load or on new brass they don't donut. But at first I wasn't turning the necks. After I started turning the necks I had to buy another bushing.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 06:43 AM

I neck down Lapua 243 cases to 22-243 with a FL Redding die and have not experienced the donut with those. the chamber on the 22-243 was reamed for the neck thickness of the Lapua brass being necked down.

Easiest just use 243 or 6mm Remington case with a barrel with twist rate for the hevier high BC bullets.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
.243 win

roflmao

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 01:31 PM

6mm Creedmoor brass does exist.

Give it a 1:8 and load a 115 DTAC, or a 110 gr SMK.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 03:12 PM

I don't think the donut will be an issue when you neck down, it's when you neck up and a part of the old shoulder becomes the new neck.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 03:15 PM

What do you think about the 6 BR Ackley? I still have 200 or so pieces of BR brass.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 03:22 PM

If you're asking me,, I don't think about it...but I'd say that if you like the cartridge and accept its limitations, go for it. For my part of it, going with something a little different is far more interesting then treading the beaten (and rutted) path.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 04:59 PM

The little br case would do everything you ask and everything any of the suggested calibers can do with less powder and more accuracy. If it was me I'd go with an improved...brx or dasher though.

Good luck!

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
The little br case would do everything you ask and everything any of the suggested calibers can do with less powder and more accuracy. If it was me I'd go with an improved...brx or dasher though.

Good luck!

I agree after some reading, but its a pita fireforming and case prep. I just want to buy brass and shoot. I see Norma makes Dasher brass.
Posted By: Busheler

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 05:45 PM

I shoot a wee bit of 6mm.

While I shoot a plethora of various Improved chamberings,THE beauty of the 6BR,is it's outta da' box splendor. I've only got two 6BR's and both are 1-8"...the "long" one is 21",though it started out at 28". Hint.

Primal AICS guts,are a nice way to fly. Hint.

I shoot my Custom Montucky 6BR a bunch more,due it's obvious Utility and it is a hammer.

Hint...............

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
.243 win

roflmao

bs

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 06:42 PM

1-8" 243's in a '10 Krunchenticker,can prolly do some nice thangs.

Seen it.(grin)

Though in fairness,I gun 243Win SALAMI in bolt guns too,along with 243AI and the like..................

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 06:43 PM

.243 win

roflmao

bs

They tend to be way more finiky that several other choices in 6mm cartridges.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 06:45 PM

Have never seen anything,resembling a "fickle" 243Win,whether in OEM or Custom,bolt gun,gasser,lever,trombone or single(Number One/B-78) ...though I doubt I've gunned much more than a hunnert of 'em...............

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 06:48 PM

.243 win

roflmao

bs

They tend to be way more finiky that several other choices in 6mm cartridges.

Thats true, but once you find the sweet spot I think .243WIN is better than the BR's and CM's.....I've been wrong before.......

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 06:55 PM

Kiss,find pressure and rock on.

None of which is "difficult",nor "fickle".

Hint..............

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Busheler

So find pressure, and shoot a bad shooting load, and pass up a good shooting load on a lighter charge?

That's a bone head move.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 07:02 PM

You are at the mercy of your comprehension.

Hint.............

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Busheler

None of which is "difficult",nor "fickle".

Hint..............

Find what pressure? Max until bolt gets tight or brass is damaged? I don't get it can you explain your logic in detail?

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 07:26 PM

"Pressure" is factored in a multitude of ways and the Astute always savvy. Velocity is a pressure indicator,in and of itself. Few savvy something as simplistic,as to how or what controls headspace. Brass can get damaged and bolts can get tight,due headspace alone,at rather sedate operating pressures. Read that again. Hint.

In the above cited Krunchentickers,it is rather easy to Smooch a Hornie 105 HPBT(one can whistle other projectiles with better BC's,but the Hornie HPBT travels outta mags and up feedramps,with iron resolve). 2930fps is a nice place to be,due the mechanics of said platforms. ES/SD is trite,feed/function stalwart and the terminal effects a given,in multiple zipcodes.

Hint..............

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 07:38 PM

Now as Krunchentickers go,not all things is equal in regards to COAL. As plainly cited prior,ASC STEALS the show,both in robustitude and latitude. Hint.

They'll happily digest a 2.825" COAL,which is greater than that requisite,to Smooch the above in the cited throats. Hint.

Not all mags is equal.

Hint.................

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 07:45 PM

Manufacturers seldom get things right,regarding that which matters MOST...twist/throating/COAL confines.

Hence Plug & Plays.

Hint...............

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/11/17 07:49 PM

AICS being a great COAL step,in a DBM turn bolt.

Especially when losing the binder.

Hint..................

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/12/17 03:18 PM

Welcome, Larry. Musta been booted off another forum. Wonder how long you will last on this one....

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/12/17 03:21 PM

Always a treat to be regaled with a Whiner's Welcome.

Say sumptin' 6mm.

Dare ya'.

Hint.................

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/12/17 08:36 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

bye, bye, little man

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/12/17 08:39 PM

Oh my...extra scoops of Imagination and Pretend for you today? Congratulations?!?

Very GOOD call,to refrain any/all things The Rifle and Whine instead.

Hint..............

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/12/17 11:50 PM

removed content for rules violation

7. Foul language - the are a few colorful words we occasionally let slide, but their overuse will result in a warning. There are a few that never need to be used – we don’t need to mention them. Foul language makes the THF look trashy. When writing, it is very easy to express yourself without cursing. Use **** if you need to. Sponsors make this site possible and it is much easier to get them interested if the site is a little cleaner than your average Internet forum.
8. We promote a friendly atmosphere for hunters to exchange ideas. Differences of opinions are welcome and are an important part of this format. We do not, however, tolerate those that try to start an argument with every post. If you are looking to agitate people, simply to get a response or if you are a troller, this is not the place for you.grin)

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/12/17 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: JJH
Welcome, Larry. Musta been booted off another forum. Wonder how long you will last on this one....

Is that Larry from The Shooter's Forum? First time I seen some knucklehead trolling posts on this site. This thread has gotten off topic from all his crap and trolling on other topics on this site.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 12:05 AM

Hurt Feelers Report!

Never been tough to cypher,who shoots and who don't.

Hint...............
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 12:32 AM

What scopes are you running, Busheler?

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 01:03 AM

Oh...I've a "few" scopes,on a "few" rifles.(grin)

Let's do it this way:

Top to bottom:

S/A 700 based 270,wearing a Shilen 2oz trigger,MTU contoured Bartlein 1-7.75" at 19",heavy filled McMillan A5 adjustable comb/butt(hate 'em) and 12x MQ. !05 Hornie HPBT Smoochjing ala MDT poly 10-rounders(AICS poly 10rd 223 mags SUCK).

A2 stocked 6 Grendel 1-8" ARP 20" Rifle Gas. CMC Flatty single stage,105 Hornie HPBT Smooches ala ASC 10-rounders

S/A 700 based 6BR no-turn 1-8" Criterion from James at NSS. Started at 28" and I chopped it back,in increments for R&D(less regret). PT&G DBM Oberndorf release,AICS bindered mags,wearing Primal BR guts(Skookum). S/S 3-15x MQ SFP...pinned to double subtension,so reticle jives erector. They're junk,in both FFP and SFP. Hint.

S/A 700 based 6 Kreedmire 1-7" from James,VSS-esque at 24". 10x MO/MO and though better than most...MO/MO's get cluttered easily and are tough to discern on movers,given their increments and stadia thickness in conjunction. 108 Hornie ELD Smooches,ala AICS bindered mags. Hint.

'10 Krunchenticker wearing 1-8" BHW 243 SALAMI at 20". Slash HEAVY buffer/spring. 105 Hornie HPBT Smooches ala ASC mags and 10x MQ in horn rings(31 Mils remaining on erector,after 225yd zero. It is a MONSTER. Hint.

S/A 700 based 243Win AI,PN 3-grooved 1-8" and 105 A-Max Smooches well inside OEM ADL mag constraints. 6x Mo/Mo.

S/A 700 based 6-284,Brux 1-8" and 105 Hornie HPBT Smooches within AM binderless steel 10's. Reupold MK4 M1 3.5-10x Duprex,in a Marty doubled-lugged 30MOA rail.

Montucky 6-06,wearing a Brux 1-8" contour dupe and reduced shoulder shank length. 6x MOA/Mil.

MOA/Mil is the poorest design,but I'm MOA Fluent and am at ease in sliding wind in Mils on the reticle. Beaver Dope in the ocular denotes both come-ups and windage in Mils...as a 105 Hornie HPBT at 3400fps,really don't burn much in the way of subtention,with a 250yd zero.

Beaver Dope on said parcel...pre-paint.

Never been tough to cypher,who shoots and who don't..................(grin)

Ooopsie...I had a "bad" picture!

Lemme recap.(grin)

My bad.

I'm always busy with results and stuff...............

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 01:54 AM

^^He gone

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 02:00 AM

^^He gone
Yup. cheers Hope he enjoyed his fame for 2 days.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 02:09 AM

^^He gone
Yup. cheers Hope he enjoyed his fame for 2 days.

Actually only about 35 hours.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 02:22 AM

up

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 02:50 AM

Enough on the He gone, back to topic.

back

6X47 Lapua sounds interesting. as well. simple neck down for cases.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

I'd think an ES below 10, reckon?

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 03:13 AM

That's what I am thinking. Spec the chamber for the thicker necks from using the 6.5 brass necked down so neck turning most likely not required.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 03:28 AM

JJH deleted for some reason, but I'll respond anyway.

X47 brass is probably LaPua = highest quality.

X47 brass is a small rifle primer.

Those two facts lead a guy, that knows what he is doing, toward an extremely consistent shooting load. Which means an ES below 10.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 03:29 AM

^^He gone

Not that I’m surprised, or disappointed. But how do you know that?

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 03:31 AM

That's what I am thinking. Spec the chamber for the thicker necks from using the 6.5 brass necked down so neck turning most likely not required.

Agreed.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: JJH
^^He gone

Not that I’m surprised, or disappointed. But how do you know that?

I know a guy.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 03:33 AM

Easily with that cartidge. The guys I shoot Fclass with are all pretty much either 6BR, 6x47, or 6mm dasher because of the inherent accuracy of all 3. Only reason I would go .243win is because of less brass prep and a little more fps unless, kmon1 wants it for shooting paper only then I would choose one of the other 3. If you look at stats for Fclass wins the x47 and BR are neck and neck and both above the other 6mm's.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 03:43 AM

Easily with that cartidge. The guys I shoot Fclass with are all pretty much either 6BR, 6x47, or 6mm dasher because of the inherent accuracy of all 3. Only reason I would go .243win is because of less brass prep and a little more fps unless, kmon1 wants it for shooting paper only then I would choose one of the other 3. If you look at stats for Fclass wins the x47 and BR are neck and neck and both above the other 6mm's.

No disrespect meant.

You are somewhat contradicting yourself.

Your .284 shoot super consistent on a mild load for the cartridge, yet consistency is more important.

And here, you are touting the BR and the X47 for their consistency. We all know, consistency trumps velocity. Most will sacrifice 50 fps MV, for a bullet that goes exactly where it is told to, every time. Botched animal shots are more from bad placement than lack of velocity.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 04:08 AM

Moral of the story....don't be a douche. Hint...

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 04:22 AM

Is necking down from 6.5 x 47 Lapua to 6 x 47 Lapua or from 6.5 Creed to 6 Creed pretty simple ? Do you use the 6 Creed full sizing die to down neck a 6.5 Creed Lapua brass to a 6 Creed? 6 x 47 full sizing die to down neck from 6.5 x 47? Non bushing or with bushing? I ask that because I like Lapua brass. Is just lubing it up and size away the only steps you do? I have never done it before though.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 04:31 AM

That is all I do on a couple wildcats. Run them through a FL Redding die, load them up and shoot. Not those calibers but same principle. that is unless the neck tolerance of the chamber is so that you need to turn the neck, but that would be up to your Smith and the reamer used for your chamber

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 04:39 AM

That is all I do on a couple wildcats. Run them through a FL Redding die, load them up and shoot. Not those calibers but same principle. that is unless the neck tolerance of the chamber is so that you need to turn the neck, but that would be up to your Smith and the reamer used for your chamber

No bushing? Just a standard FL die with expander button?

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 04:46 AM

That is what I use for them, could also do with bushing dies, I just don't have any for those.

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 05:01 AM

That is what I use for them, could also do with bushing dies, I just don't have any for those.

Thanks Kevin. up

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 05:40 AM

No disrespect meant.

You are somewhat contradicting yourself.

Your .284 shoot super consistent on a mild load for the cartridge, yet consistency is more important.

And here, you are touting the BR and the X47 for their consistency. We all know, consistency trumps velocity. Most will sacrifice 50 fps MV, for a bullet that goes exactly where it is told to, every time. Botched animal shots are more from bad placement than lack of velocity.

Not trying to contradict by any means sorry if it was taken the wrong way, what my .284 does is irrelevant to this post. I was just pointing out the advantages of the 4, .243 is easy to source and prep brass and a lil faster, the other 3 are more inherently accurate but somewhat PITA to prep brass.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

Good luck!

This^^^^

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 12:36 PM

Are you meaning 243 versus the ones getting necked down? If so, I agree.

But when a fella can get 6mm Creedmoor brass, and just run it, I do not see any advantage to running a 243.
Posted By: dee

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/13/17 09:12 PM

I've got 1800rds on a 6mm creed and will rebarrel it as the same. I think mines a fluke to have lived that long but it was extremely easy to load for. Everything was sub 10sd and sub .5 moa with hybrids or rdf and 4350, 4451 and rl23.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/19/17 12:34 AM

Stick, improving the THH, cool.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Which 6mm caliber to build - 11/24/17 01:51 PM

what about the 6PRC?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum