Texas Hunting Forum

Have you ever reloaded

Posted By: blackcoal

Have you ever reloaded - 10/21/17 12:45 AM

.22 LR rimfire?
Posted By: Jon

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/21/17 01:13 AM

No, but that would be interesting to see.
I won't be surprised to hear of someone who's done it by some totally impractical method but can't imagine how.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/21/17 01:39 AM

On the Rimfire Central forum a guy claimed he bought some primed cases at a gun show but had yet to load them. I've never seen a 22LR seating die. I've also read you can mix up some of the primer compound and re-prime cases. I wouldn't.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/21/17 01:40 AM

No but years ago I shot some handgun matches with a couple guys that pulled bullets and loaded their own loads in 22 Mag cases.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/21/17 03:47 AM

I know a guy who pursued it for a while several years ago. He found it difficult IMPOSSIBLE to get results that justified the effort, which doesn't surprise me at all.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/21/17 03:28 PM

Match 22 ammo is too cheap. Even people who don't value their time couldn't possibly justify it, I would think.

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/21/17 06:42 PM

It seemed like it might become a necessity about four years ago. I hope it doesn't ever get like that again.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/21/17 06:56 PM

Apologies for getting slightly off topic but I know a couple of folks that take the 22 RF brass and make .224 bullets to reload in their .223’s for plinking ammo.

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/21/17 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
Apologies for getting slightly off topic but I know a couple of folks that take the 22 RF brass and make .224 bullets to reload in their .223’s for plinking ammo.

Yep, Back in the early 50's I had two uncles who used 22 l/lr brass and lead rope to swage brass bullets for their 220 Swift. Interesting procedure and when you can't buy it then you make it.
back
Posted By: Texas2Guns

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/22/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
I've also read you can mix up some of the primer compound and re-prime cases.

Primer pellet compound is a blend of lead trinitroresorcinate (lead styphnate), sulfides, and other nitrates for oxidizers. Other high explosives like PETN and mercury fulminate have been used. They're a magnet to the feds. My guess is you would get vanned and hogtied just for thinking of such an act since all of our phones have been secretly installed with super high tech doo-hickeys by the NSA to read our minds. Free thought is a crime nowadays.

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/23/17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas2Guns

Primer pellet compound is a blend of lead trinitroresorcinate (lead styphnate), sulfides, and other nitrates for oxidizers. Other high explosives like PETN and mercury fulminate have been used. They're a magnet to the feds. My guess is you would get vanned and hogtied just for thinking of such an act since all of our phones have been secretly installed with super high tech doo-hickeys by the NSA to read our minds. Free thought is a crime nowadays.

I don't know about all that but, like I said earlier, as for mix compound, I wouldn't. I've burnt myself just lighting fireworks, I have no interest in scorching my face to the skull, or poisoning myself.

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/23/17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Match 22 ammo is too cheap. Even people who don't value their time couldn't possibly justify it, I would think.

what he said

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/23/17 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas2Guns

The stuff to do it IS available---or at least it was up until about about two years ago, the last time I communicated with a friend who was trying it out. Evidently, getting the priming mixture distributed evenly around inside the rim is the hard part. He experienced many misfires and was quite discouraged. I believe he has given it up.

Still, knowing that it CAN be done is good. Being in a situation where you must do it is something else all together.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/23/17 02:04 PM

If I remember the story correctly, one of the bullet manufacturers or reloading companies started out by reloading their own 22 shells
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/23/17 02:37 PM

No.

I do think some kind of cartridge like a 17 or 22 size caliber that was powered by a powerfull small or large rifle primer only would be a neat concept if it hasn't already been done.
Posted By: Saddle Tramp

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/24/17 01:16 AM

Have you seen the reloading kit for 22 lr?
http://22lrreloader.com/store/

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/24/17 03:01 AM

BBB, I believe one of these is being sold by Dillon Reloading. I've been wrong before. Thanks for sending.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/24/17 04:58 AM

I have a book that refers to a wildcat made by pulling bullets from 22LR, necking down to 14 caliber and loading.

A coworker used to reload 56 Spencer Rimfire, he had previously been a chemist at CCI and really did know what he was doing. When fired the case needed to been oriented so the firing pin didn't strike a place it had been before. As stated above the chemicals are quite hazardous.

M

Re: Have you ever reloaded - 10/24/17 05:02 PM

Have you seen this stuff? Cheap enough, MUCH MUCH less consuming, and MUCH safer.

https://www.eleyammunition.com/

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/22lr-ammo-wolf-performance-40gr-match-target-500-round-box.html
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum