Texas Hunting Forum

SS media separator and dryer

Posted By: TackDriver

SS media separator and dryer - 08/27/17 10:31 PM

Used the Frankford Arsenal SS tumbler for the first time with the sample detergent that came with the kit. I used about 250 pieces of 308 and 6.5 x284 brass mixed and tumbled with warm tap water for 2 hours and came out pretty much clean. Spread the pins and brass on a beach towel and rolled as much brass as I can to dry in the sun. It was a pita to separate the SS pins and brass. Only a few pieces of brass had spots when I packed the brass in bags, possibly missed to dry them correctly.

What do you use to separate the SS pins from the brass quickly and efficiently without spilling SS pins? I see a few types online but weren't sure which is better.

What about a dryer? Cheaper way is to let dry in the sun with the aid of blow dryer, but there are some better methods.
Posted By: Cast

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/27/17 10:39 PM

I have a copper bowl that fits into the bathroom sink where I tumble brass. I empty the tumbler into the bowl and turn the water on slow to start the rinse cycle. I tumble the brass around on the bottom of the bowl while the rinse continues. Once the rinse water runs clear, I begin to pick up a few cases and align them so case mouths are all on same end. Push them under the water mouth up to fill the cases with clean water. Now invert cases under water to pour out any SS media. It'll settle right out if everything is under water.

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/28/17 12:59 AM

Cast, After a 2 hour tumble, I emptied the dirty water but left the brass and SS pins in and filled with clean water and re -tumbled it for another 5 minutes to clean dirty water out of the brass and drained again.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/28/17 11:12 AM

RCBS media separator.

Throw them in the oven to dry, if you're in a hurry.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/28/17 01:28 PM

what a PITA
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/28/17 02:35 PM

hold case upside down, give it a good shake to drain any pins inside case
place in bucket with clean water

place cases on a towel in the sun to dry
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/28/17 04:53 PM

I put the brass in a pillow case and shake gently. After I take the pins out.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/28/17 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: TackDriver
Cast, After a 2 hour tumble, I emptied the dirty water but left the brass and SS pins in and filled with clean water and re -tumbled it for another 5 minutes to clean dirty water out of the brass and drained again.
this and then use a magnet to capture pins
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/29/17 02:07 AM

Using a Frankford SS tumbler, I tumble a full case load for 90 minutes with tablespoon of Dawn and a 9mm case of lemmishine. Drain the dirty water off. I use a Dillon media separator and pour the entire contents into the basket. Rinse with clean water and let it fill 1/2 full all the while spinning (slowly) the basket. 99.5% of pins fall out of cases. Pour the water out in the yard being careful not to dump the pins. Lay brass out in the sun to dry. Really pretty fast job. I made a rack from a old storm window screen with the frame. Lets air pass thru and all around.
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/29/17 02:22 PM

I dump everything in to a lyman sifter to get things somewhat separated and use a frankford arsenal magnet to separate pins from brass. Next brass goes in to a towel for a few seconds to dry off surface water then into a cheap food dehydrator to make sure everything is dried.

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/29/17 05:57 PM

Thanks guys for the recommendations. up
Posted By: M16

Re: SS media separator and dryer - 08/31/17 12:08 AM

I drain as much water out as I can without letting the pins come out. Then pull the cases out
by hand. Add enough clean water back to cover the pins and a little extra. I've never dried my
pins in the three or four years that I've had them. Keep them wet and covered with water. Things
need oxygen to rust. Keep them covered with water and they'll be fine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum