Texas Hunting Forum

I got burned

Posted By: garyrapp55

I got burned - 08/06/17 11:52 PM

I bought a Lyman beam scale from eBay but it won't hold zero. It varies at a maximum of .2 grains. I've got a $10 digital I bought years ago that is more accurate, according to the check weights. At this time I think my options are, tune the beam scale and re-check accuracy or buy a new beam scale from a store so I can return it if it's a piece. I've heard beams at $100 or less are more accurate than digitals at that price point. Have any of you guys tuned your beams? Any other options I have?
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 12:25 AM

Been down this road and wasted lots of money trying to save money.

Buy a brand new beam and a trickler and they are plenty accurate and sensitive right out of the box.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101297...-grain-capacity

Posted By: RiverRider

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 01:24 AM

I'd give Lyman a call. If they're anything near as good as RCBS, they'll fix you up. I have an RCBS 5-10 that I noticed acting weird back in the early 90s. I called RCBS and they said "send it to us." I got it back in about 10 days, totally refurbished and good as new. I believe Lyman's scale was an Ohaus scale, just like the RCBS scales.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 04:13 PM

My experience is the beam scale that came in my starter loading kit is more accurate than my chargemaster, but my chargemaster when calibrated has never failed to measure the check weights exactly either.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 08:01 PM

found this, supposed to be accurate to .05 grains, I think I might get it
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/jennings-jscale-jsvg20.html
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 08:54 PM

Try this.
Take a make up brush and windex and clean the small pillow block groves on the base. Blow dry to make sure they are clean. Then look at the knife edge on beam and make sure they are shape and smooth. If not gently clean them us with a whit stone.

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
My experience is the beam scale that came in my starter loading kit is more accurate than my chargemaster, but my chargemaster when calibrated has never failed to measure the check weights exactly either.

The problem is the Chargemaster scales drifts over a loading sessions by up to 0.3 grains.

Once I started finishing powder measurements on a beam, groups shrank noticeably on paper and flyers became rare.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

The problem is the Chargemaster scales drifts over a loading sessions by up to 0.3 grains.

Once I started finishing powder measurements on a beam, groups shrank noticeably on paper and flyers became rare.

Yup, yup!
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 10:06 PM

how much of that variance in the Chargemaster could be due to you lights as some stated that florescent lights interfere with electronic scales?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Yup, yup!

I loaded for my new Barrett today, all measured one at a time on a beam scale, trickled to "zero" Going back old school I guess.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: I got burned - 08/07/17 11:41 PM

Yup, yup!

Yes, they WILL drift. I re-zero mine after each fifth charge. Keeps it honest.

Re: I got burned - 08/08/17 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: BassCat'99
how much of that variance in the Chargemaster could be due to you lights as some stated that florescent lights interfere with electronic scales?

It happens even in the middle of the day with the lights off.

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Yup, yup!

I loaded for my new Barrett today, all measured one at a time on a beam scale, trickled to "zero" Going back old school I guess.

I use the Chargemaster to throw to 0.3 under the desired end weight, and then finish on the beam with a trickler.

Good luck with the new rifle.
Posted By: killen

Re: I got burned - 08/28/17 01:23 AM

get one of scott parker tuned scales
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: I got burned - 08/28/17 01:03 PM

I've been pretty lucky with used scales. Got an rcbs 10-10 and a little Lyman Digital that runs on 9v batteries and both are GTG. Then again the rcbs 505 that came with my set still works too, but it just feels cheap.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: I got burned - 08/28/17 06:52 PM

There are places to pinch pennies but a reliable scale is a critical piece of gear for a reloader. Either the RCBS or Hornady beam with magnetic dampening will do what it should out of the box. Either can be had new for less than $100. My advice is "buy one and be done".
Posted By: Undercoverdog

Re: I got burned - 09/10/17 02:35 AM

Dillon beam scale. you will not regret it, about 80 bucks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum