Texas Hunting Forum

6.8 ammo

Posted By: Bigfoot

6.8 ammo - 03/20/17 01:05 AM

I thought I heard that the Hornady SST's are going to be discontinued. Is that true?

There was no blood whatsoever out of the deer I shot this year at 70 ish yards from the SST. Small deer so it didnt run 10 yards but if I had to track her it would have been impossible.

So I am thinking maybe I need to try a Barnes bullet next year. I am also thinking I would like a deer specific bullet and a hog specific bullet. Maybe 95 Gr TTSX for hogs and 110Gr Barnes TSX for deer?

Factory loads no handloading for me.

what say the experts on this matter
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: 6.8 ammo - 03/20/17 09:11 PM

I'm no expert, but I dont think they will discontinue that bullet. A lot of people use those. I rarely find them in stock locally. Not like they are sitting on shelves.
Posted By: Saddle Tramp

Re: 6.8 ammo - 03/21/17 12:47 AM

I have had penetration issues when shooting at the vitals on pigs with SSTs. My rifle loves them though and I've taken the last 2 with head shots. The latest one at 90 yards, late Saturday night, under a green light.

I've used the Barnes 95 gr TTSX. It also didn't leave the body but scrambled the insides quite well. Still ran 25 yds into the brush before it's ultimate demise.

Re: 6.8 ammo - 03/21/17 02:57 AM

Should I be trying something like an Accubond for deer? Or just stick with the SST's if they are still around
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 6.8 ammo - 03/21/17 03:13 AM

I've had really good results with the Federal Fusion 115 gr.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: 6.8 ammo - 03/21/17 10:59 PM

I use the 6.8 SST with excellent results. All three of the deer killed off my tags were killed with this bullet. Not a single one of them took more than two steps with vital shots. My deer took one step backwards, stood there pouring blood from the exit wound and fell over dead as a door nail.

I doubt Hornady will discontinue this round.
Posted By: javman

Re: 6.8 ammo - 03/22/17 01:52 AM

I had heard the same thing and that Academy was supposed to have them on clearance but that hasn't been the case.
Posted By: kry226

Re: 6.8 ammo - 03/29/17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I've had really good results with the Federal Fusion 115 gr.

Me too, but I'm currently loading 95gr Barnes since I'm in SBR land. But I've had great service from SSTs in other calibers for years and I don't think it's going away any time soon.

Re: 6.8 ammo - 04/02/17 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: javman
I had heard the same thing and that Academy was supposed to have them on clearance but that hasn't been the case.

That is exactly what I heard also but on my past few trips to Academy they didnt have any SST's at all. Just FMJ's which my gun shoots rather well it seems. Possibly better than the SST's.
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: 6.8 ammo - 04/02/17 02:01 AM

I've had great results with the 129 ssts out of my 6.5 creedmoor. Every animal shot with the rifle and sst bullet has been DRT with a clean pass thru. This is on everything from javelina to big south Texas whitetail, 50-175 yards.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum