Texas Hunting Forum

This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad.

Posted By: J.G.

This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/06/17 08:40 PM

A friend asked me to pull apart some Nosler 300 WSM ammo, and a few Barnes pieces of ammo, so that it could be hand loaded with a known powder, and known powder charge.

On the left is the powder Barnes used. What's that?

On the right is the powder Nosler used.
What's that?

More importantly, I weighed the powder coming out of the Nosler ammo.

66.5 gr

So a powder charge spread of .8 gr.

Boo!!!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/06/17 08:42 PM

Yes, been there, done that!

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6062258/1
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/06/17 09:52 PM

What that is.....is something to set on fire.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/06/17 09:56 PM

somebody's too bored

no fires today or passed out old people? clap
Posted By: kmon11

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/06/17 10:10 PM

Check your math, it is worse than you reported 67.3-66.5=.8

Guess you have a small quantity of fertilizer.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/06/17 10:29 PM

It would be interesting to see how that ammo shoots.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/06/17 10:42 PM

Nosler loads on Dillon progressive 1050's so that probably about average for thrown charges with stick powder.

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/07/17 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
somebody's too bored

Home. Can't bring "explosives" into the station.

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/07/17 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Check your math, it is worse than you reported 67.3-66.5=.8

Guess you have a small quantity of fertilizer.

My mistake.

I'm thinking blend it in with Tannerite. grin
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/07/17 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
somebody's too bored

Home. Can't bring "explosives" into the station.

That powder isn't an explosive, though. What about accelerants?

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/07/17 04:20 AM

I'm also a Haz-Mat Tech.

Primers fall into "explosives".
Posted By: kmon11

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/07/17 04:28 AM

For "smokeless powder" it sure burns slow when not contained and produces lots of smoke.
Posted By: 5 Stand Dan

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/07/17 02:00 PM

For all of your powder identification needs:

National Center for Forensic Science-Smokeless Powders Database
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/08/17 05:57 AM

JG, did you make your measurements on the Chargemaster or the balance scale? Which is correct? Which is more accurate?

I bet that sent you in to OCD orbit... peep cheers

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/08/17 12:38 PM

Here's what I believe to be true.

The load was developed with the Chargemaster weighing the charges, and 42.4 is where it shot best. I let the Chargemaster throw what it calls 42.4, move it to the beam scale, and see what it calls that weight. The beam scale called it 42.3 so that's what the rest got loaded to.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: This sure does make the case for rolling your own or buying from Chad. - 03/19/17 05:23 PM

Use as fertilizer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum