Texas Hunting Forum

Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15

Posted By: J.G.

Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/01/17 09:52 PM

Mine is a 16" 1:9", free-float hand guard. It'll just be a simple three shot, 100 yard group. These step in .2 gr increments, but I think I'm going to skip in .4 gr and fill in with .2 gr where needed. These ain't cheap bullets! Should get to shoot them tomorrow.

Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/01/17 10:11 PM

Are those 60s? Our guns shoot the 60s very well. Haven't tried H335 but Benchmark works wonders. If memory serves we shoot 24.5 grains. They aren't as accurate as the VMaxs but they're plenty good to hunt with.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/01/17 10:33 PM

Yes 60's. Sorry I failed to list that.
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/01/17 10:42 PM

My experience with them is that with a little help ( which you are doing..) They'll shoot an inch out of a good barrel...which as someone else said, plenty good for hunting. They also perform very well on target.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/01/17 11:01 PM

1-ish MOA is all I'm looking for 300 yards, and in. Never Have developed a load for my AR-15. Figured it was high time I figured out this one as well as 55 gr Sierra Game Kings.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/01/17 11:49 PM

SGK 55gr. Mine likes CFE 223 at 26.6 grains. Varget worked well but I wanted to load this on a Dillon press.
Posted By: Murphscout

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/01/17 11:54 PM

I went with 60g Vmax over 24.3 Varget. I can get less than inch at 100 out of RRiver but 20" barrel. Havent really tested out past 100 as use this as varmit rifle at my place and never really have greater than 100 yard shot. No press, hand trickle all
Posted By: KC

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 12:00 AM

I'm getting 1/2" out of 65 gr SGK over 24 gr H4895.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 12:18 AM

I have eight pounds of H-335, so that's what I'll be using.

For a long time!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 12:45 AM

For a time I used AA2230 behind 65 gr GKs, but I've gone to H335 for 40, 55, and 65 grainers. As for 60 gr Partitions, I haven't shot them for a while and forget what powder I used. Never did get great accuracy with the Partitions. I did a bit better with the 64 gr Nosler BSBs, and get real nice groups with that 65 gr Sierra GK.

I shoot the 55 gr Sierra GKs in my 220, using the same powder IMR4064 and load that I use to shoot the 55 gr Nosler BTs. I hear they are a tougher bullet than the BT, and more suitable for pigs, but I haven't tested that out yet.
Posted By: 30378

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 03:15 AM

The 65gr SGKs are really hard to beat. Excellent bullet for deer, hogs, etc. I load mine with a stiff dose of Benchmark.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I have eight pounds of H-335, so that's what I'll be using.

For a long time!

You'll be fine with the H335. I only went with Benchmark because I was also loading for a 204 and it loved the stuff. Saved stocking another powder. You should be able to easily get the Partitions under MOA.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: 30378
The 65gr SGKs are really hard to beat. Excellent bullet for deer, hogs, etc. I load mine with a stiff dose of Benchmark.

My absolute "go to" bullet for deer sized game in the .22 CFs is the Barnes TTSX...55 grainer. Have had nothing but excellent results, and lots of them. That said, I can't quit fooling with gun stuff and have been trying some conventional cup-n-core bullets lately, with good results. I am interested to see so much love here for the Sierra GK in 65 grain. Ive heard good things elsewhere about it as well.
I have used the 63 Gr. sierra SMP to good effect and like it a lot because the 'short fat' bullet stabilizes well with most twists....but I might have to give these 65 GKs a try!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 04:03 PM

are you trying to roll the spinner target? or cull a bunch of does??

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 05:11 PM

Rifle lives in the truck. It's a back-up, really, since it's rare I forget my 6.5 Creedmoor, or 7mm-08, or LR-308. Feral hogs is the point of the load, in this AR-15. I got into a sounder with it over a year ago, and was shooting ammo I didn't load, with some kind of spire points. Shooting them from 70-250 yards, hogs were getting hit, but not falling.

Plus, I just wanted to see how well I can make this bullet shoot, in this rifle smile
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 05:19 PM

Hitting spine or heads will make the hogs fall and roll. My experience with feral hogs is that they will run a ways with solid chest hits from bigger rifles than the 223. The partitions should make it easy to reach and penetrate bone for sure.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 05:31 PM

Sounds like you got it figured out. up

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 08:52 PM

Well, that's a good bullet to try, if you get Ok accuracy. I've seen how well they'll penetrate a hog. Impressive.

I'd be shooting em, but the 65 gr Sierra GK is a good bit cheaper and has proven to be a good bit more accurate. Still, if somebody said they had a big hog they wanted me to shoot, I'd load up some Partitions.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 11:00 PM

Really, really bad!

23.2 gr. shows promise, and deserves to be shot again, with a 5 shot group. I never saw any signs of pressure, so me thinks I need to keep going up in powder charge. 25.0 gr was Hodgdon's max.

(Two touching is perdy good considering I'm shooting with a scope that goes to 6X on the high end. grin)

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 11:21 PM

Be careful developing loads in cold weather with H335. I had a superb load for one of our bolt guns that I found in February, and when we went to South Dakota in June it had primers flowing something terrible. I toted 400 rounds of it back home because I was afraid to let my son shoot it.

But you already knew that about H335, right? wink

You must be a lot younger than me, because I can't even see the target at 100 yards with a 6X scope. roflmao

While those groups are a bit scattered, there's also an obvious vertical dispersion to most of them. You shooting on bags or a rest?

One other thought: Every load that we worked with Partitions seemed to find the best accuracy a bit under book max. I think my Benchmark loads are about 1 grain under Hodgdon published max. But I also know every gun likes different things. Just a thought.

Have you tried crimping that 23.2 grain load?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/02/17 11:51 PM

You might give H4895 a try, JG. I'm assuming you've got some on hand, but who doesn't??

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 12:35 AM

Nope, didn't know H-335 was temp sensitive, or I would not have bought it.

My optometrist does a great job keeping me seeing like an eagle. I wear contacts.

Atlas bipod, rear bag, prone.

Saw no signs of pressure, so I'll go a bit more. If things don't improve, I'll come back to 23.2 gr.

I loaded these yesterday, and shot them today. I've never crimped a rifle load, and would rather not.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
You might give H4895 a try, JG. I'm assuming you've got some on hand, but who doesn't??

I literally bought all this H-335 to be for sure AR-15 powder, and maybe bolt action .223 powder. If I switch powders because this doesn't work, look for some H-335 for sale, and I'll be purchasing eight pounds of the powder that works in my rifle.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 12:51 AM

Some say it is temp sensitive ... others say it isn't. I know that it is. I saw it in person.

That said, unless you're pushing the envelope with it you probably won't have any problems. I wasn't trying to dissuade you from using it, but when you mentioned going over published max I felt the need to say something. wink The loads that caused me the problem were already on the upper end of the pressure scale. But they did get dangerous after the 60 degree ambient temperature increase.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 12:55 AM

I sure appreciate the sharing of experiences! up

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 01:09 AM

Benchmark has been awesome for us in the 204 & also in the 223 with 60 grain stuff. And it's a Hodgdon "Extreme" powder that is not supposed to be as temp sensitive as some others. We also had a 204 on that hot day and saw no pressure signs from it with the Benchmark loads. Velocities are almost the same as H335 with a tad less pressure.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 01:11 AM

If you have trouble finding a load with the 335 and have some Varget from your 308 days left give it a try. That has been my powder of choice for the 60gr Partition.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
If you have trouble finding a load with the 335 and have some Varget from your 308 days left give it a try. That has been my powder of choice for the 60gr Partition.

I've always got Varget. The largest lot is reserved for .22-250, next lot is for 7mm-08, and the last lot is for son's .308 bolt action, and maybe my bolt action .223. Figured the fast burn rate of the H-335 would help in with velocity in the 16" AR-15.

But if push comes to shove, I'll try Varget with this bullet, in this rifle.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 02:50 AM

Generally, whatever gives you the best velocity in a 24-inch barrel will give you the best velocity in a 16-inch barrel. There can be minor variances to the rule.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
Some say it is temp sensitive ... others say it isn't. I know that it is. I saw it in person.

That said, unless you're pushing the envelope with it you probably won't have any problems. I wasn't trying to dissuade you from using it, but when you mentioned going over published max I felt the need to say something. wink The loads that caused me the problem were already on the upper end of the pressure scale. But they did get dangerous after the 60 degree ambient temperature increase.

This has been my experience with H-335 as well. Getting the same or better velocities out of TAC or CFE-223..both of which aren't temp. sensitive.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 11:16 AM

Generally, whatever gives you the best velocity in a 24-inch barrel will give you the best velocity in a 16-inch barrel. There can be minor variances to the rule.

Probably true. But a faster burn powder does in fact often produce more velocity in an AR type rifle. Chad taught me this, and I've seen it proven with two AR-10 platforms. My LR-308 with 16" barrel and suppressor was producing more velocity with a 155 gr bullets, loaded with IMR 8208 than my friend's DPMS .260 Rem, 20" loaded with 130's and H-4350.

A .308 Win was making more speed than a .260 Rem! And the .308 had a shorter barrel! My understanding is to get the powder mostly burned before it reaches the gas block.

AR's are mysterious and fickle things, that's why I say they are all female rifles.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 02:34 PM

Probably true. But a faster burn powder does in fact often produce more velocity in an AR type rifle. Chad taught me this, and I've seen it proven with two AR-10 platforms. My LR-308 with 16" barrel and suppressor was producing more velocity with a 155 gr bullets, loaded with IMR 8208 than my friend's DPMS .260 Rem, 20" loaded with 130's and H-4350.

A .308 Win was making more speed than a .260 Rem! And the .308 had a shorter barrel! My understanding is to get the powder mostly burned before it reaches the gas blocks.

Do I REALLY have to point out the "apples and oranges" comparison here?

Like I have said, there are times you'll see minor discrepancies to the rule, but (as a hyperbolic example) you don't change from Retumbo to 4198 for velocity's sake because you've lopped six inches off the barrel.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 02:47 PM

I'm not arguing that.

ARs are a different animal from a bolt gun is all I'm saying. And there are faster burning powders that yield more velocity in an AR, than the powder one would use in a bolt action.

100% of the time, I'll load a bolt action .308 with H-Varget. I called Chad with a recommended powder for AR .308 and asked if Varget would work. His reply was "yes it will work well, but IMR 8208 would create better velocity in an AR platform, due to the faster burn rate".

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 03:05 PM

Are you sure you're remembering correctly?

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 03:08 PM

Gas gun and 155 gr bullets, that's what he told me. As you know H-4350 is "the" powder for .260 Rem, but it didn't make velocity worth a poop in an AR chambered in .260. When a shorter barreled .308 gas gun is making more speed than a .260 gas gun, that ought to tell the tale.

Go have some more coffee, you're worrying me. peep
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 03:09 PM

Damn I'm just glad to see you try em.

My rem 700 adl will shoot prickly pears at 150 yards with them, over 22-23 grains of Benchmark. I will say we had a slightly higher hit:shot ratio with the 55 grain v-max though.

They are the best performing 22 bullet I have shot game with. I wouldn't expect DRT kills with it, but it penetrates well and disrupts well too. You shoot your second bunch yet?

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 03:14 PM

Gas gun and 155 gr bullets, that's what he told me. As you know H-4350 is "the" powder for .260 Rem, but it didn't make velocity worth a poop in an AR chambered in .260. When a shorter barreled .308 gas gun is making more speed than a .260 gas gun, that ought to tell the tale.

Go have some more coffee, you're worrying me. peep

Plenty of coffee here. Maybe not enough Zanax there?
trout

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 03:16 PM

I'm clear headed.

Don't make me go get Chad! whip

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 03:18 PM

Back on topic go kill a hog with them partitions.
elmer

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 03:22 PM

I'm clear headed.

Don't make me go get Chad! whip

yawn
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 03:57 PM

Really, really bad!

23.2 gr. shows promise, and deserves to be shot again, with a 5 shot group. I never saw any signs of pressure, so me thinks I need to keep going up in powder charge. 25.0 gr was Hodgdon's max.

(Two touching is perdy good considering I'm shooting with a scope that goes to 6X on the high end. grin)

Looks like poor shooting technique to me, I know a guy that can help you on your fundamentals... peep
Posted By: Judd

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
Looks like poor shooting technique to me, I know a guy that can help you on your fundamentals... peep

Those groups have to be @ 300y BF wink

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 04:45 PM

For what its worth, all of my best shooting partition loads have a lot more jump than 0.008.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
[quote=Big Fitz]Looks like poor shooting technique to me, I know a guy that can help you on your fundamentals... peep

You got his number?
Posted By: Judd

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/03/17 06:43 PM

You got his number?

Yes, you both do and my phone hasn't rang???? roflmao
Posted By: ckat

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 04:17 AM

FJG - I hope it works for you. I use a lot of H335 in various calibers. It is my go-to in 55 grain 223s; but when I tried it behind 65 grain SGKs and 69 grain SMKs, I couldn't get them to shoot for crap out of two proven ARs. I switched to RL-15 and groups went from "patterns" to TINY.

My theory is that the H335 is a little too fast for the heavier bullets, but ???

Good luck!

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 02:38 PM

Thank you for the good info!

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 04:31 PM

Any further test results?

Wonder if you results would improve any with more than a 6x scope.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 04:41 PM

Had to work yesterday. Don't have any more test loads today. I believe I can hold center well enough with a 6X, given that I did lay down a horizontal group, with two touching. I didn't want to move scopes, and have to rezero using expensive Partitions.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 05:58 PM

Varget. Varget. Varget. Varget. Mine likes a far from Max load for 55 GKs for what it's worth and less than Max on the 65 GKs but I'm early stages on that bullet.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 06:09 PM

I'll suggest trying AA2230. I think it was specifically developed for gas guns and bullets in the range of what the military uses. That was the powder that gave me best groups with the 65 gr Sierra, and I think (without going to look) that's what I used for best results with the Partition. I went to H335 purely because I could find plenty of H335 and was having trouble finding more AA2230.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 06:13 PM

603, did you ever fool with AA2460 with these heavier bullets?

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 07:08 PM

Preciate all the data sharing, everyone!

Gas guns are my nemesis, and I have witnesses.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 07:54 PM

Only problem is that based on all of the suggestions you now have 17 different powders to test. roflmao

Truth be told you can get most any powder to work reasonably in an AR-15 if you have a basket full of patience. Just hang in there with the stuff like H335, Benchmark, and Varget that have proven themselves over the years to be good gas gun choices. If those can't get the job done toss the barrel and get another one. wink

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/04/17 08:35 PM

Does anyone who routinely uses partitions with good accuracy seat close to the lands?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/05/17 01:13 AM

popcorn

Keeping an eye on this one. up

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/05/17 01:27 AM

RiverRider, the AA2230 is the only AA powder I've tried.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/05/17 06:27 AM

No joke! JG can ruin an AR by just touching it! Don't ask me how I know this!

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/06/17 05:17 PM

If your hunting hogs they must be pretty small in your area if those groups won't get one for you!

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/06/17 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: rickt300
If your hunting hogs they must be pretty small in your area if those groups won't get one for you!

I've shot enough of my hand loads to know those are unacceptable. I realize this AR will never lay down a group like my bolt actions, but those will not do. When it's shooting 3" at 100 yards, it is larger than 6" at 200 yards, and becomes over a foot at 300 yards = unacceptable.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/06/17 10:07 PM

KEEP IT FOR 2 LEGGED GAME

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/07/17 02:57 AM

I couldn't tell how big the X's were, thought you were getting 1 1/2 inch groups. Most of my hog shooting happens under 75 yards so that would be acceptable.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/17/17 09:21 PM

Re-shot 23.2 gr, and it was all over the show.

Went 25.2-26.0 gr, and nothing impressed me. I remember Chad telling me throw out the first shot, and the shot that the bolt locks open. This is the best there was today. Not sure which shot number was the one low and right. I'm about ready to scratch the bullets and see if the rifle likes 55 gr bullets better.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/17/17 09:54 PM

You might want to try the Nosler 64 gr Bonded Solid Base. It shot better for me than the Partition did, but the groups only got small as I approached max (H335).

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/17/17 09:59 PM

Whats Chad always saying...

Its not my rifle doesn't like this bullet, its it doesn't like your powder charge. scared

Mine loves benchmark, never tried anything else.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/17/17 10:22 PM

I agree with that.

It's in my head, though. The rifle has done pretty well with 55 gr mass produced ammo in the past. Several months ago I got some American Eagle 62 gr FMJ, green tip 5.55. It doesn't shoot them well either. I'm thinking this 1:9" doesn't like bullets heavier (longer) than 55 gr.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/17/17 10:26 PM

Thought faster twist was for longer/heavier bullets?

What is the jump on those 55 grainers? I still think you should try seating them a little deeper.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/17/17 11:18 PM

After I finished up my reloading today, I noticed a target on the cork board in the workshop. It was 5 bullets in an elongated hole. It was a target from a while back when I was using AA2230 under the 65 gr GK. My groups with H335 under that bullet are not as good. Little late to have those thoughts, but after I shoot up the new batch of reloads, I'll go back to the AA2230. It's da powdah.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/17/17 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Thought faster twist was for longer/heavier bullets?

What is the jump on those 55 grainers? I still think you should try seating them a little deeper.

Faster twist is for longer heavier bullets. Most ARs have a 1:7 or 1:8, mine is 1:9.

No data on a 55 gr jump. Remember, I didn't load the rounds of 55 gr I had previously shot. I might try sticking with 25.8 gr, and play with the jump.

I can't remember a rifle that has given me more trouble to get to shoot. Stupid ARs!

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 02:59 AM

What brand of barrel and is it chrome lined? Considered a new barrel? I know a guy...
Posted By: ckat

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 03:36 AM

I agree with that.

It's in my head, though. The rifle has done pretty well with 55 gr mass produced ammo in the past. Several months ago I got some American Eagle 62 gr FMJ, green tip 5.55. It doesn't shoot them well either. I'm thinking this 1:9" doesn't like bullets heavier (longer) than 55 gr.

The few American Eagles I ever shot were all over the place. I wouldn't use that as a basis...
I have had zero accuracy issues out of my 22" and 16" 1:9 twist rifles up to 69gr SMK. I don't think it's your twist. As bad as this stinks for you, I really think a powder swap would change your results. Good luck!

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 11:25 AM

Thanks for the input. up

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 12:37 PM

Whats Chad always saying...

Its not my rifle doesn't like this bullet, its it doesn't like your powder charge. scared

Mine loves benchmark, never tried anything else.

Yep. You gotta try some Benchmark with those Partitions before you give up on them.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 03:14 PM

Is Benchmark temp stable?

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 03:55 PM

Supposed to be very.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 04:06 PM

That is how i understand it also.

JG, I think I'd seat those bullets a little deeper than 0.008" off the lands---if you haven't tried that already.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 04:23 PM

JG, I think I'd seat those bullets a little deeper than 0.008" off the lands---if you haven't tried that already.

Glad someone else said it I was sounding like a broken record. They are not berger vld's cheers

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 09:00 PM

Supposed to be very.

Yes. I have ran the same loads at varying temperatures and there is little if any difference in POI. Also bear in mind that I am not pushing the envelope with my loads. No pressure signs at all. This is also in a gas gun.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/18/17 09:35 PM

Can't change more than one factor at a time. Either change powder, or change seating depth to H-335

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 01:56 PM

Can't change more than one factor at a time. Either change powder, or change seating depth to H-335

And isn't that what makes this hobby "fun"? wink roflmao

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 02:53 PM

I don't really enjoy load development, raper when it's going this poorly. I like when it's over, and I have a load nailed down, and I get to reproduce it, and shoot.

I load to shoot, not shoot to load. I liken it to having to stop and fill up the truck with fuel.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 02:59 PM

I understand not wanting to change more than one variable... but if I was loading 7mm 180 grain vld's for a 7 mag and was seating them .030 off the lands with a min charge of 4350 what would your recommendation be? I bet it would be to change more than one thing.

You need to seat them deeper. I would try that first and stick with the H-335.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 03:25 PM

I'd tell you to keep your .030" jump, and get some H-Retumbo. Start at 68.0 and work toward 72.0, it'll probably do the best at 71.0. That jump you have might be Mag length.

I said several posts ago, I'd stick with 25.8 of H-335 and play with jump. If it doesn't improve I'll get some Benchmark, as these other fellers suggested.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 03:30 PM

Ah I either don't remember or missed that, my apologies.

Hope you find what works for it.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 04:01 PM

No apologies necessary. cheers

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 05:18 PM

I went back and read this again and didn't see what your OAL is for these loads? Just curious ...

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 05:37 PM

Never measured O.A.L. got them to clear the Mag and ran em. The jump is the jump.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 06:03 PM

Got it. You're likely at 2.260-ish then .... assuming this is an AR platform.

These guys may be on to something with a deeper seating. Mine are running at 2.250.

I was wondering so I could salt that info away for my future use if needed. up

I hope you get this issue sorted out. Partitions are a great "general use" bullet.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 01/19/17 06:30 PM

Even better when you start asking big things of little bullets up

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/06/17 05:33 PM

Glad someone else said it I was sounding like a broken record. They are not berger vld's cheers

Working on it right now.

Going to load 25.8 and play with the jump.
Posted By: Gwood88

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/06/17 11:18 PM

Not sure how you feel about pulled bullets but the 62gr Federal Fusions(at least in the factory loading, not handloads) have always performed well on hogs and on paper for me, and they can be picked up for pretty cheap.
Otherwise I would go with the Nosler Bonded Flat Base.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/14/17 11:03 PM

Well, it ain't great, but it's far and away better than anything else the powder/ bullet combo has shot.

Those of you that said jump the bullet more. I went from .010" to .060" jump in increments of .010". This group is with a .060" jump. 1 1/2" @ 100 yards.

Might just call it good. 1-6X scope, hogs less than 200 yards, it ought to work.

Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/15/17 01:17 AM

They will not know what hit them. I run it in a 22 250 and they never get far.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/15/17 01:32 AM

You're making lots more speed than this combo, but hopefully this will work alright.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/15/17 02:07 AM

I don't really enjoy load development, raper when it's going this poorly. I like when it's over, and I have a load nailed down, and I get to reproduce it, and shoot.

I load to shoot, not shoot to load. I liken it to having to stop and fill up the truck with fuel.

I don't like it anymore than you do. It's strictly a means to an end. The end is all I care for.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/15/17 03:05 AM

That should work on them to 200, have used that bullet on deer and hogs out to about 180 and worked well on both.

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/15/17 03:30 AM

You need a new barrel...just sayin'

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/15/17 02:18 PM

Glad you found something that worked out. I haven't measured the jump on any of my partition loads but I know its big. I made them before I had the capacity or wherewithal to pay attention to jump.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Alright you Partition lovers! (Redchevy) Have a test batch made for AR-15 - 03/15/17 02:24 PM

You need a new barrel...just sayin'

^^^^^^^^^ grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum