Texas Hunting Forum

removing primer crimp

Posted By: Matt Hejl

removing primer crimp - 12/19/16 11:49 PM

What is a tool that is used thats not super expensive to remove primer crimps...Id like to reload these casings and use some for sizing to 300blk. I have tried, unsuccessfully, using a chamfer tool.

I dont mind spending a little, as it would something I would use.

Please share your methods and cost of tool.

thanks
Posted By: cm250

Re: removing primer crimp - 12/20/16 01:01 AM

RCBS Sagging die set. Has large and small primer tools. All ya need and not expensive. Will work with most reloading presses.
Posted By: hovercat

Re: removing primer crimp - 12/20/16 02:23 AM

I like my RCBS primer swaging die set also. For occasional use, a chamfer tool should work fine. May I ask which tool you were using? The RCBS (made by Wilson)tool is much more effective than the Lee. And you will enjoy trimming cases more.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: removing primer crimp - 12/20/16 02:26 AM

^^what they said. However, I've had no issue using a Lee chamfer tool to remove crimps.

Re: removing primer crimp - 12/20/16 06:38 AM

Mine is a Lee...I tried and still couldn't get primers in there. The end of the Lee chamfering tool is just about too big.
Posted By: George757

Re: removing primer crimp - 12/20/16 01:49 PM

Try the Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer . It removes the crimp and puts a bevel on the primer pocket lip , making seating the primer easier. Chuck it in a drill rather than twisting by hand. Costs about $10 and lasts for several thousand cases.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: removing primer crimp - 12/20/16 05:24 PM

The tools that squeeze the primer pocket outward work best. The chamfer style tools that shave the crimp work, but require more work and the primers still hang up often when priming. I like any tool that squeezes the primer pocket open and outward, since it puts an even pressure all the way around and helps open up the pocket.
Posted By: Volfy

Re: removing primer crimp - 12/21/16 05:42 PM

I use a primer pocket reamer, since I already have a Hornady case prep center. I load it on 1 of the 6 stations and do the whole case prep in one routine.

Work well so far.
Posted By: crashdummy

Re: removing primer crimp - 12/21/16 07:14 PM

Lyman handheld reamer, models available for both small and large primers.
I have the RCBS crimp removal set, but have better luck with the Lyman tool.
Posted By: BoomStick

Re: removing primer crimp - 01/06/17 04:54 PM

I bought this all in one hand tool.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyman-Cas...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Works pretty good for me. I do have some issues with 5.56 military brass every now and again.

Re: removing primer crimp - 01/08/17 01:34 AM

I ended up using one of those 45 degree drill bits and cutting away the crimp. Ill go about a second and a half clockwise to cut away needed brass and then about a second counterclockwise...and that smooths it out and makes it look good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum