Texas Hunting Forum

Well that's not good....

Posted By: eddie4529

Well that's not good.... - 11/20/16 10:31 PM

So after cleaning some brass from some Remington core lokt in 308 I noticed one of them had a blown primer and a number of them had scrapes I'm guessing they are ejector marks so I'm guessing it is a pressure issue didn't even realize it when I shot them out of my ar10? Also checked out a box of winchester and those looked fine, so I guess my gun didn't like the Remingtons or any ideas what could've caused it ?
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Well that's not good.... - 11/20/16 11:51 PM

Pics would help. wink

Blown primer ...... Pierced? Or out of the pocket?

Scrapes on the neck? That could be from hitting the locking lugs on extraction.

Need photos ......

Re: Well that's not good.... - 11/21/16 12:01 AM

Tried to post photos they won't work, the primer was completely blown out of the case and the scrape is on the bottom by the primer it even erased parts of the letters on a couple of them will try the pics again

Re: Well that's not good.... - 11/21/16 12:10 AM

Sounds like WAY over pressure from your description. Unusual for a factory load in my experience.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Well that's not good.... - 11/21/16 01:00 AM

DPMS RECON?
Posted By: TexasTURhunter

Re: Well that's not good.... - 11/21/16 01:17 AM

does it look like this?

look at the 'B' and 'Y' - the circular ring is from the ejector... The brass is flowing into the ejector pocket. This is a sign of WAY too much pressure

Posted By: J.G.

Re: Well that's not good.... - 11/21/16 02:19 AM

Hot load for THAT rifle.

Yet, another reason to roll your own.

Re: Well that's not good.... - 11/21/16 05:10 AM

Yeah they were like those, that's what I was thinking weird from factory ammunition never had that happen before, and yeah started loading my own and haven't seen any of those signs on the hand loaded stuff
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Well that's not good.... - 11/21/16 06:26 AM

Call Remington and have the lot number and details. They will mostlikely want the rest for inspection and testing. This is how many ammo recalls get started. They will usually replace the ammo as well.

Re: Well that's not good.... - 11/21/16 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Call Remington and have the lot number and details. They will mostlikely want the rest for inspection and testing. This is how many ammo recalls get started. They will usually replace the ammo as well.

Good advice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum