Texas Hunting Forum

Military 308 brass

Posted By: Big Daddy K

Military 308 brass - 10/18/16 01:16 PM

I'll get the head stamp later. Can't remember off the top of my head but anyway,
I have 100 308 rounds I bought off Etsy for 16 bucks and change. I deprimed and noticed there wasn't a crip in the primer pocket. Cleaned on my green prep station after trimming to 2.002.
Then primed no problem. The only way I could tell they are military is the thickness and the weird headstamp.
I've read I need to reduce the powder do to pressure concerns/less case space correct?
About how much less?
I'm still using Varget and 180 grain Hornady Interlock.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Military 308 brass - 10/18/16 01:25 PM

Yes, reduce the powder charge about 1 to 1.5 grains less powder for the thicker military brass to equal the same pressure. Use a chrono to help determine where your pressures and speeds are.
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Military 308 brass - 10/18/16 02:02 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Military 308 brass - 10/18/16 02:57 PM

FWIW, there are a lot of "weird" headstamps out there that are not military. It's not like it used to be.

Chad already advised dropping back the powder, but I'd have a tendency to go back to the starting recommendations and work the load up again. Sometimes there are accuracy nodes that show up and weren't there before. I know that goes against common beliefs that a bullet going the same speed will have the same accuracy no matter what the brass, but changes in capacity and compression can also change burn rates a bit. Just saying .....
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Military 308 brass - 10/18/16 04:58 PM

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. up
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Military 308 brass - 10/18/16 06:11 PM

I just used LC 75 for a load, max charge listed was 45gr, I ended up at 42gr and was getting same MV as the listed 45gr any load above 42gr started to show pressure. I like Creedmoor start at bottom and work up from there and often find myself 3 to 1.5 gr less when using military brass but every chamber is different.

As to no crimp perhaps someone else reloaded it and took the crimp out already.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum