Texas Hunting Forum

257 Weatherby hunting bullet

Posted By: Amarillo.Hunter

257 Weatherby hunting bullet - 10/02/16 12:48 AM

Hey all,
Got a new 257 Weatherby and am looking for a bullet to use. I live in the Panhandle and have the opportunity to hunt Pronghorn, WT, and Mule Deer. Shots up here can be at a decent range, but also get an invite to hunt in East Texas.

Not saying I'd use the 257 for elk, but it will be my back up rifle for elk (should the opportunity ever present itself).

What bullet would y'all recommend for this rifle and its intended targets? Might be as close as 75 yards (east Texas) and way out yonder up here around Amarillo?

Thinking about loading up some Barnes X-bullets in either the 100gr or 115gr variety, 110 accubond, 115 partition, or one of Swifts bullets - either the 100gr or 120 gr (both the Scirocco or the A-Frame).

the only bullets I have experience with from above are the accubond and the partition.

Price per bullet is of little importance - as I don't want to cheap out on the bullet when the bullet is really the business end of things.

Thanks for your feedback.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: 257 Weatherby hunting bullet - 10/02/16 07:29 AM

110 accubond works well from my rifle, though there is not a bad bullet in your list of choices and all would do well. Pick the one you and your rifle likes.
Posted By: parkj5

Re: 257 Weatherby hunting bullet - 10/02/16 08:37 AM

Mine liked the 110 accubonds . And IMR 4350 AND IMR 7838..
Posted By: BooneDog

Re: 257 Weatherby hunting bullet - 10/02/16 09:32 PM

Mine really likes the 117 grn SST Hornady better than the 110. And I like the performance of the sst for whitetail and I would say pronghorn. Pushed with R25 near max.

The 257 likes to be pushed fast fast. In my opinion start in the middle of your charge and go up. My groups did not shrink to less than a inch at 100 until about 3/4 of grain below max.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 257 Weatherby hunting bullet - 10/03/16 01:45 PM

110 Accubond is a good option. I have had MANY customers love the performance of the 115 grain Berger in the 257 Wby. The factory loaded ammo offerings are not that great. Large powder swings, and poor speeds. And they are very expensive for what you get.

http://dallasreloads.com/product/bullet-of-your-choice/
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: 257 Weatherby hunting bullet - 10/09/16 03:49 PM

I've been playing with a .257Wby for a few years now and have had really good results both at the range and on game with the 115g Nosler Partition. I'm not going to try to quote my recipe off the top of my head, but it's not super fast. After a year on the range I finally took it to the field. Very impressive results. The first buck I took with it, I think he was dead before I pulled the trigger. I'm edging up on my 45th deer season, and until then I'd never seen a deer fold that way. He didn't fall over, he went straight down chin to the ground. I'm not saying it's "Thor's Hammer," but it's pretty damn close.

edited just because I appear to have four thumbs today.
Posted By: postoak

Re: 257 Weatherby hunting bullet - 10/09/16 07:05 PM

Id give the 100 grain Barnes TTSX a try.
Posted By: Amarillo.Hunter

Re: 257 Weatherby hunting bullet - 10/09/16 08:00 PM

Chad,
Are you comfortable with pulling rounds my factory ammo and reloading with my bullet of choice? And/or what ever the rifle prefers? (Swift, Nosler, Berger, Barnes)?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum