Texas Hunting Forum

hornady XTP HP

Posted By: fmrmbmlm

hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 02:31 AM

Is Hornady XTP HP 240 gr. 44 mag bullet on top of 23 gr. Win. 296 shot in a Marlin 1894 20 in. barrel okay for deer out to 75 yds., or would a cast bullet be better? Have never hunted with this rifle, but have shot several stray dogs harassing cattle and a few coyotes with the cast bullet. Rifle has micro grooves but shoots cast pretty accurately.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 03:47 AM

Don't know about that round and combo, but I use a 90gr xtp in a 50yd subsonic load and it'll drop a decent sized piggy no problem. I could only imagine that 44 being a thumper. Remember lead doesn't expand all that great.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 04:07 AM

I have killed 10 or so deer with the 300gr XTPs and my Dad killed that many or more with reloads I did for him with the 240gr XTPs. They have worked well, expansion is very good, if a real heavy bone is hit they will expand quite a bit but still penetrate and do plenty of damage. I have only recovered 2 of them and my Dad recovered I think 3 but those were with hard quartering shots from 14 inch barreled Contender and a Winchester trapper
Posted By: redchevy

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 12:23 PM

I loaded some XTP's in some hot 45 colt loads a several years ago with the intent of hunting ammo. I test fired into a gravel pit wall. None of the slugs I recovered expanded at all and several nearly looked as if you could load them again.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 01:56 PM

It will do very well for you. I shoot the same 240 grain XTP bullet and set up in this Marlin 44 mag lever gun. I took this turkey at a confirmed 240 yards with my Marlin 44 mag. I used this rifle for close in night hunting, and it wears a Weaver 1-3 scope on it to mount a light to for night hunting. It will level pigs! It's one of my favorite rifles to shoot. I also plinked with it out to 300 yards, so I knew my hold overs and was able to make this shot on the turkey.

Posted By: okie44

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 02:46 PM

I have no experience with the later stuff. Years ago I did shoot a big doe behind the shoulder @ 30 yds and swore I could see daylight for a split second.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 02:52 PM

I'd say it should work well. I've used a 45 cal XTP 240 gr for my muzzle loader out to 150 for deer up in Indiana and Missouri.
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 03:31 PM

I just loaded up the same load sept using H 110.
I've used cast bullets before on WT and was not impressed.
It killed deer but not as well as a JHP. The cast bullets were 300 gn Buffalo Bore. They all passed through without leaving large exit wounds.
I like softer bullets for WT.
Posted By: chalet

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 04:02 PM

I load 250gr Lead head cast Keith bullets in front 18.5gr 2400 for Marlin 1894. Have only shot one deer, which was a good sized buck at about 50yds. Passed clean through both shoulders, he ran about 75 yds and piled up. I personally think if you are making close to a half inch hole without expansion that its plenty big coming out. See no reason to not try the XTP's though, they are supposed to work well on deer. I have thought about it but still have a few hundred of the Keith bullets to use up.

Funny thing is I had plenty of pigs until I started carrying that rifle to the stand, which is a big part of the reason for my load. Haven't seen one since, which is almost like they know I got some big [censored] bullets with their name on them.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/22/16 04:19 PM

Yes no problem killings deer at 100yards with it. I load them for my Winchester lever and my 44 mag. Have shot a doe and a few pigs with no problems. Open site on my winchester hold about an 1.5" group at a hundred yards.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: hornady XTP HP - 09/24/16 04:03 PM

Thanks for the input everyone
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum