Texas Hunting Forum

storing ammo

Posted By: old raider

storing ammo - 09/18/16 04:26 PM

Anybody use old ice chests for ammo storage? Cheap,built in handles,sturdy,and waterproof.Can you foresee any potential problems? Thanks
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: storing ammo - 09/18/16 06:12 PM

I'd only use Yeti coolers.

Ok, ok seriously - might work just fine for storage. Not sure about moving them around though. They'd get heavy fast so maybe only the small ones would work if they also need to be moved around.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: storing ammo - 09/18/16 09:40 PM

Old fridges and freezers work great for ammo storage. I keep my powder in cooler because i dont have room for a fridge right now. I saw where a guy converted an old fridge into a gun cabinet with ammo storage in the freezer.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: storing ammo - 09/24/16 12:57 PM

I'd say you would be just fine. Ammo sits out on shelves for months on end. Unless the environment is damp and the brass gets tarnished immensely, ammo can be stored for years. Powder canisters store their contents for years on end with no ill effects, and what you are doing is basically the same thing. The powder is stored inside the brass in an airtight situation. No need to worry about temperature swings, etc. Loaded ammunition is just fine in that regard. Your main concern is exterior brass or bullet deterioration from moisture.

My father brought home several boxes of 45ACP ammunition when he was in Korea. Circa 1954. I fired 10 rounds of it in my Colt a couple of years ago. It worked just fine.

The idea of putting a damp-rid or other similar product in with it is a good suggestion.
Posted By: parkj5

Re: storing ammo - 09/28/16 09:25 AM

i used Styrofoam coolers to store my loaded ammo and a small foam chest to store primers in . Never had any issues. Very close friend of mine uses them for powder storage as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum