Texas Hunting Forum

Brass Question

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Brass Question - 09/06/16 10:35 PM

Guys,

I have loaded Rem Brass for my 6.5X55 Swede and need to buy new brass. I am thinking about getting Lapua brass. What are the changes if any I would see between the two different brands? Would the pressure change?

Thanks,
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Brass Question - 09/07/16 02:25 AM

If you are loading at max, I'd drop down a bit on the powder charge with the new brass and work back up. But, if you are shooting a moderate load, I'd just load em and shoot em. That's if you are a hunter. If, however, you are a long range shooter into extreme accuracy, I expect they would do a new load work up.

I've switched to Norma and Lapua on most of my brass, and I normally go with the powder charge I've been using. Accuracy has not suffered, but I'm not shooting at long distance.
Posted By: jeff1383

Re: Brass Question - 09/07/16 02:51 AM

Lapua is thick brass. I'd drop it down .2-.6 grains. You will most likely need new neck bushings if you're not using standard fl dies.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Brass Question - 09/12/16 08:53 PM

Anytime you change a component, whether it be the primer, brass, bullet, or powder you should drop back and work up the load again. And even if the pressures stayed about the same, there's always the chance that POI will change a bit or the accuracy node will change.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum