Texas Hunting Forum

35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research

Posted By: Hunter Gatherer

35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/03/16 12:21 PM

Nathan Foster just posted this article on the 35 Whelen on his web page. It's a really informative look at the history and usefulness of the 35 Whelen:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/35+Whelen.html

I thought some of you might enjoy it.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/03/16 04:10 PM

Will read that later, but it is a good round capable for anything on this continent. Makes a good one for busting several hogs on one shot if you get them lined up. No actual experiency with the Wheelen but the 350 Rem mag is a short action ballistic twin and have used it on hogs, whitetail. Mule deer and elk.

Actually bought it for a moose hunt I have yet to take.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/03/16 07:19 PM

Good article. I've always wanted a Whelen, just have not managed to pull the trigger on one yet.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/03/16 08:23 PM

I have a hard time with this website when they said the 6.5x55 with 140 grain bullets at 2750-2800 fps muzzle is a slow killer at ranges over 200 yards. I guess the Creedmoor is a slow killer as well over 200 yards.
Posted By: Hunter Gatherer

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/04/16 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I have a hard time with this website when they said the 6.5x55 with 140 grain bullets at 2750-2800 fps muzzle is a slow killer at ranges over 200 yards. I guess the Creedmoor is a slow killer as well over 200 yards.

What did you think of the article on the 35 Whelen?
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/04/16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunter Gatherer
Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas

What did you think of the article on the 35 Whelen?

OK. I get the point. No, I didn't read it and I hijacked the thread. I'll shut up now.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/04/16 02:56 PM

I acquired a rifle in .35 Whelen several years ago with the intent of killing a black bear in Arkansas. Went three times and never saw a bear, so I've quit going...and the landowner has gotten out of the business recently in any event. I'm hanging on to it for hogs. Unfortunately, I've never seen a hog while carrying it (which isn't often at all since I have quite a few other choices that are more versatile for targets of opportunity), so I still haven't killed a thing with it but I have no doubt that my 225-grain Accubonds moving at 2675 will take them down with authority. I'd like to prove that sometime before the great dirt nap.

Reloading the .35 Whelen, it's pretty easy to get good accuracy with low extreme spreads of velocity. Re15 and Varget work very well. I might be inclined to try some Re16 if I ever get my mits on some.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/05/16 01:49 PM

Love my Whelen, handled my Canadian moose with no issue. Pulled Hornady Superformance loads and replaced the 180 SP with 225 grain Accubonds. That will push the NABs at around 2850fps. Rebuilt it for an Alaskan black bear hunt that isn't happening now, at least this year.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/05/16 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitzwho
Love my Whelen, handled my Canadian moose with no issue. Pulled Hornady Superformance loads and replaced the 180 SP with 225 grain Accubonds. That will push the NABs at around 2850fps. Rebuilt it for an Alaskan black bear hunt that isn't happening now, at least this year.

That is an awful lot of velocity for a 225 Accubond in the .35 Whelen. How long is your barrel? Are you saying you pulled the 180s, left the powder charge alone, and seated 225s on top of it??
Posted By: kmon11

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/05/16 05:40 PM

RR, ws thing the same thing. If using the dame powder charge with a 45gr heavier bullet there are likely to be pressure issues.
Posted By: JCB

Re: 35 Whelen Article - Terminall Ballistics Research - 09/05/16 08:10 PM

The Whelen is one of my all time favorites, but I have always been a sucker for anything 35.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum