Texas Hunting Forum

New guy question

Posted By: 68A

New guy question - 09/03/16 03:29 AM

Read the book, read the instructions for everything twice and reloaded a couple rounds tonight for learning experience and setting everything up. Everything went smoothly. Using new lapua brass, so no case prep done. After seating the bullet, I'm inspecting the rounds and see a small divot at the case mouth, very small. Is this a problem? Any ideas?

Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: New guy question - 09/03/16 03:41 AM

Probably won't hurt anything unless it's protruding outwards.

Why do you think it happened? Seems like kind of an odd spot for a ding on new brass.

Re: New guy question - 09/03/16 03:43 AM

It's protruding inward. I had to use the bullet puller a couple times, getting seating depth right.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: New guy question - 09/03/16 04:27 AM

Ahh, so it's probably just dinged up from the puller. Were you using one of the hammer style ones?

Any time I've got something poking into the neck, it just gets thrown back into my resize pile to make sure it's good. It mostly happens with my pistol brass when I'm belling the cases- I'll put the case in without making sure it's centered and ding the edge on the beller. One more time through the resizer and it's golden.

Re: New guy question - 09/03/16 11:21 AM

Yeah, I was using the hammer style. Come to think of it, it's probably from the bullet hitting the case mouth after its already come out of the case. If it's loose in the cup of the bullet puller and hit it another once or twice, it probably hit the case mouth. My theory anyways. They look good to shoot, think I'll give them a go.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New guy question - 09/03/16 04:37 PM

They'll be fine. Seating then pulling may have reduced your neck tension, though. So you may not get good data from those particular pieces of brass.

Also, I look for seating depth starting long, then shortening as I go. It's much easier than having to pull bullets.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: New guy question - 09/12/16 09:03 PM

Buy yourself a bullet pulling die. Easier on the brass. And those hammer things scare the CRAP out of me. grin
Posted By: Teal28

Re: New guy question - 09/12/16 11:36 PM

As long as there's not a burr on the case you should be good.
Until you get a better puller, put a cotton ball or two in the bottom of the hammer. The will cushion the bullet and save the tips from deforming and bouncing back.

These work great.
http://grip-n-pull.com
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: New guy question - 09/13/16 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Teal28
As long as there's not a burr on the case you should be good.
Until you get a better puller, put a cotton ball or two in the bottom of the hammer. The will cushion the bullet and save the tips from deforming and bouncing back.

+1 and +1. If the burr is on the inside, you risk scratching the bullet as you seat it, which can change the balance of the bullet. I generally fix it before I seat a bullet. I also stuffed a small piece of foam into the bottom of my impact puller to not deform the bullet tips.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: New guy question - 09/13/16 07:20 PM

the roll-up foam ear plugs work well in the hammer to stop deforming the tips. Those or the soft gel-type, either one have reduced my deformation to zero.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum