Texas Hunting Forum

trim length

Posted By: TackDriver

trim length - 08/25/16 01:55 PM

Checked trim length measurements on my once fired brass on the 6.5 x 284 and book trim length is 2.160 and more than half are 2.152 and shortest is 2.150 so I trimmed all of them at 2.150. I don't think there will be an issue with that, would it?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: trim length - 08/25/16 02:03 PM

Nope, you have to throw them out. It's bad mojo to have brass that is not exactly 2.150". The short one's have a problem with that. "Short Cases Matter".
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: trim length - 08/25/16 02:23 PM

rofl

Re: trim length - 08/25/16 02:52 PM

You know I'm messing with you, Big Stan!!! You should be GTG! I trim once, and then don't even look at them until 3-4 reloads later.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: trim length - 08/25/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
rofl

Stan, on brand new brass, trim them all to the piece that is the shortest in the bunch. Load, shoot, load, shoot, trim again. I remeasure looking for the shortest one, which will often be longer than the first time they were trimmed. Main thing is, make them all the same.
Posted By: GLC

Re: trim length - 08/25/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
You know I'm messing with you, Big Stan!!! You should be GTG! I trim once, and then don't even look at them until 3-4 reloads later.

Chad, you had me worried there. I thought you were off your meds.

Re: trim length - 08/25/16 03:58 PM

Nope, you have to throw them out. It's bad mojo to have brass that is not exactly 2.150". The short one's have a problem with that. "Short Cases Matter".

LMAO, its cool to have a kidder on the forums once in a while. up

Re: trim length - 08/25/16 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
rofl

Stan, on brand new brass, trim them all to the piece that is the shortest in the bunch. Load, shoot, load, shoot, trim again. I remeasure looking for the shortest one, which will often be longer than the first time they were trimmed. Main thing is, make them all the same.

I agree with that, unlike Chad's recommendation. LMAO.

Re: trim length - 08/25/16 04:02 PM

I know you are kidding Chad. Thanks

Re: trim length - 08/25/16 04:24 PM

Also, most rounds allow for about .010" extra length beyond max case length before the brass begins to make contact and "squeeze" the case mouth when chambering. You can feel it when it does, for sure. If the case lengths are fairly consistent, like it appears yours are, I wouldn't even trim them. Once they start larger variations in length and close to max length is when I normally trim. But I've run competition brass with .015" difference with no problem and it shoot just fine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum