Texas Hunting Forum

7mm Rem mag OAL questions

Posted By: Blanco

7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/30/16 03:27 PM

I have a Weatherby Vanguard 7Rem mag
Starting to work up some loads, and I figure I would check length with my Hormady LnL OAL gauge. I am loading a Speer spire flat base soft tip 145 gr. My max OAL ...and I checked it twice was 3.250 . This is pretty significantly less than the 3.29 the Lyman manual lists. SO... What now? I can live with that, but is this something to worry about?

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/30/16 03:34 PM

Speer.1629 is the bullet
Posted By: JJH

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/30/16 03:45 PM

How did you arrive at the seating depth for the 145 Speer?

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/30/16 04:29 PM

The 3.250 measurement was with the LNL gauge with the Speer 145 in the Hornadymodified case.
The 3.29 measurement is from the Lyman manual listed as Max OAL
Posted By: JJH

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/30/16 04:43 PM

sorry. I asked the question poorly. What made you seat the bullet to that length. Is that as far out as you can seat it without it contacting the rifling?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/30/16 04:48 PM

Forget what the books say on Max OAL. That is for SAAMI, not handloaders. Load your bullet to the relation of the lands for your rifle.

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/30/16 05:47 PM

Yes 3.25 is the farthest the bullet can be seated before making contact. Thanks Fireman that is what I suspected. I wonder what factory made ammo.is seated out to? I think I have a box of Remmi I will measure...

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/30/16 07:09 PM

On second thought...2 bullets, same.cal with different ogive would have different max OAL ? Hmmmm

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/31/16 08:58 AM

I checked the new box of Remington ammo I have. The profile of the core lokt bullet is much more like a Berger. OAL 3.2 But with that profile there should be significant jump to the rifiling.
Posted By: mikei

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/31/16 11:15 AM

As long as you don't start out with your initial loads "jamming the lands," and your cartridges fit and feed through your magazines, you should not have to worry about OAL. If you want to load them out to reduce the jump, do it very carefully, in small increments, and check for any signs of pressure.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/31/16 12:32 PM

I checked the Speer manual with that bullet and they show 3.280 which seems unusual that two manuals show OAL longer than your SAAMI chamber. I would triple check your measurement just to be sure and load accordingly. Also since you are seating deeper most definitely do not start at Max!

Re: 7mm Rem mag OAL questions - 07/31/16 12:42 PM

I think I will move this to the reloading section
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum