Texas Hunting Forum

Scale recommendation

Posted By: Korean Redneck

Scale recommendation - 07/18/16 08:23 PM

I currently have a simple digital scale that came with my Hornady lock and load kit. Love the kit in vernal but hate the scale. I assume if I lift the tray off and put it back it should return back to the same number but sometimes it doesn't.

Please give me some scale recommendations. Nothing filthy expensive, meaning like way over $100. I'm even open to a triple beam but just wanna know what all y'all r using with success. The anal side of me would like on that has more precison that 0.1grains.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/18/16 08:31 PM

RCBS chargemaster for speed. Hornady and Lyman also make an electronic powder thrower.

More accurate than .1, would be .02 grains. An AccuLab for about $250-$300 will work.

Your cheap $100 scale will be about as good as the one you already have.

For basic shooting and reloading, .1 accuracy will do fine. Most rifles and shooters can not shoot better than the accuracy what .1 grain will give you.

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/18/16 08:39 PM

So is it normal for a scale to NOT return to the same value once u remove the dish and put it back?
I'm not sure if I just got a lemon or not. so u think there is no point?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/18/16 08:49 PM

Turn the scale on and let the scale warm up for 15-30 minutes before you use it. It should return to zero. But I often zero my scale during use.

Also, if the scale is battery powered, how strong the batteries are will effect the accuracy of the scale. Read about the scale you own on what to do and not to do with it.

Here's my set up using my high end scale accurate to .02 grains. That's all I run for single stage ammo.

Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/19/16 12:37 AM

I turn my scale on at least an hour before I use it. I tried using it once without warming it up, and I'm convinced that it makes quite a difference, at least with the scale I have. If you haven't tried that, do it.
Posted By: cblackall

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/19/16 03:29 AM

X2 on the Chargemaster. Though it's about three times your stated budget, it has significantly reduced my time and headaches while charging cases. If you reload a lot and can swing the price, it will make your life at the bench much easier and more enjoyable. Probably one of my best reloading investments. Regardless of which digital scale you use, follow the advise of others here and give it time to warm up and acclimate. Also, pay close attention to your atmospherics around your scale if you're not using a cover. The slightest breeze, even from an AC vent, or your phone sitting too close is enough to make them jump around on you.

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/19/16 01:30 PM

Well, I'd love a chargemaster but I'm just not that committed financially.

For the record, I don't "need" some high level of accuracy. I'm just tired of the read out jumping back and forth by 0.1grains as it sits there. I remember back in school at the lab that scales didn't behave like this. But then again I had no idea hat they would require a warm up period. I will definitely give that a try as that solution is he most affordable.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/19/16 06:53 PM

I just bought a ChargeMaster and a FX 120 and selling the RCBS Partner scale, that has worked well for me over the years, if you are interested. I'll make a video of it on PM.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/24/16 05:23 PM

I have this...tested against two other beam scales...works great. I have used it for ~4 years maybe 5.

I know flames and trolls will show up to chastise this...and no one is crazy for using this.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar118.htm
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/24/16 10:07 PM

Chargemaster and Ohaus 10-10
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/25/16 09:16 PM

Charge Master for sale now in the non gun forum. Think he wants $250. That's a steel!
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/26/16 01:15 PM

Is anyone using the Lyman Gen 5 digital? How do you like it & how consistent is it?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/26/16 03:46 PM

I use an earlier version Lyman, and I'm quite pleased with the way it works. Mine is, I think, the 1200 DPS 3.
Posted By: Blackout Bill

Re: Scale recommendation - 07/27/16 01:40 AM

Hornady scale/dispenser instructions say to warm up. Have no complaints after 8k or so rounds. Pistol is 95% to .1 on normal speed.b I thought that was sufficient. I am not in a hurry so rifle on slow speed and about the same. 5 of 95 over doesn't bother me. Dump repeat.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum