Texas Hunting Forum

Hornady AP Press Question

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Hornady AP Press Question - 06/27/16 04:48 PM

My beautiful wife bought me this for Fathers Day! As I was getting things set up last night the video I was watching spoke of a "dry" Hornady clean and lube spray. So I'm wondering if there is something that performs the same that I can pick up locally rather than having to order the Hornady product online and waiting for it to arrive. Is there such a thing as graphic spray that would work that I can pick up some where?

Thanks,
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/27/16 05:45 PM

Hornady spray is at a lot of local retailers...

Bass pro, cabelas, etc

The main point is you need lube on your brass at various points. If you don't have there will be issues.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/27/16 05:57 PM

Cleric,

I'm not taking about the spray for brass but a dry lube spray for the parts, especially the powder dispenser, to keep everything lubed without having powder etc from sticking to it.

Thanks,
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/28/16 04:36 PM

I use the dry lube I got it at cabellas
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/28/16 07:20 PM

Haven't used any on mine and it runs fine
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/28/16 07:27 PM

Certain locations on the press that can get powder on it, I will use a heavy coating of powdered graphite to keep the parts lubed. Other parts where powder will not touch, I use an oil based lube, like a synthetic gun oil or basic 3 in 1 oil. It works fine.
Posted By: Phlash

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/29/16 12:49 AM

After cleaning the press really well, I swab the powder hopper with a "used" drier sheet to minimize any static cling of the powder in the hopper.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/29/16 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Phlash
After cleaning the press really well, I swab the powder hopper with a "used" drier sheet to minimize any static cling of the powder in the hopper.

^^^^^^^^^^ good advice.. Also on your powder funnel.

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/29/16 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Certain locations on the press that can get powder on it, I will use a heavy coating of powdered graphite to keep the parts lubed. Other parts where powder will not touch, I use an oil based lube, like a synthetic gun oil or basic 3 in 1 oil. It works fine.

I agree with this Chad graphite on primer slide, oil on the rest .
All he is trying to follow harnady instruction.
Hornady dry film lube is made to meet mill spec.
It is designed to lube and clean ar style rifles.
Since it leaves a dry non oily film it is good on powder drops.
Posted By: noylj

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/29/16 05:23 PM

Two things about Hornady One-Shot Cleaner and Dry Lube:
Haven't found anything better
and
Too many people can't seem to resist wiping the parts dry (removing the dry lube), and then complain that the dry lube doesn't work.
I used to clean powder measures with degreaser/brake cleaner for metal parts and warm water and soap for plastic partd (and air drying so the soap residue eliminates static), but the Hirnady does it all.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/29/16 07:58 PM

Use the specific spray lube that Hornady recommends for the powder thrower. If you follow the instructions to the letter, that thing throws very precise charges, very consistently.

Re: Hornady AP Press Question - 06/30/16 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Use the specific spray lube that Hornady recommends for the powder thrower. If you follow the instructions to the letter, that thing throws very precise charges, very consistently.

I bought a hornady powder for its consistency .
I cleaned the drop then I sprayed on then let dry.
All you have to is Read hornady instruction, look at them online .
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum