Texas Hunting Forum

Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme

Posted By: 5 Stand Dan

Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/20/16 05:09 PM

I saw this article, and it looks interesting. I have not finished reading it yet.

Powder Temp Stability
Posted By: Judd

Re: Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/20/16 06:09 PM

What I read out of that is it's going to be even harder to find Varget and H4350 grin
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/20/16 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
What I read out of that is it's going to be even harder to find Varget and H4350 grin

GREAT! bang
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/20/16 07:59 PM

Very interesting info. And here I am using R17 in my 260. But, since I don't shoot in extreme temps, I'll just stick with what I have - till I run out.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/21/16 12:52 AM

Ohhhh doggies, I got lots of H4350! grin banana

But no time to load or shoot bang
Posted By: dee

Re: Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/26/16 03:26 PM

Meh my experience with 4451 has yielded very consistent velocities right along with Varget and 4350.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/26/16 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: dee
Meh my experience with 4451 has yielded very consistent velocities right along with Varget and 4350.

If you have data, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see it.

Did you ever break down and get yourself a copy of QL?

Re: Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/26/16 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: dee

If you have data, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see it.

Did you ever break down and get yourself a copy of QL?

I posted my data here a while back. But I'll look here in a bit and post again.

No I really need a new pc before getting it I think.

Edit: here's the post.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6303551/Re:_IMR4451#Post6303551
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/26/16 04:16 PM

Oh, yeah...I remember that thread now. Thanks for finding it.

I spent a few minutes yacking with a ballistic tech at Western Powders one day eight or nine years ago. What he told me about temperature sensitivity was that a powder may appear to be very stable in one cartridge across the temperature spectrum, but not so much in another one. Just something to ponder.

I have decided to just abandon Re17, which I once swore off for erratic behavior but relented and decided to try it in .30-06 with 180 Partitions. The velocity potential is most impressive, but a load developed in 40-degree weather might be all over the place in 80-degree weather. Initial trials with IMR4955 and IMR4451 were not encouraging at all, and I've finally found some H4350---which I would have used from day one had I been able to find any.

Re: Powder Temp Stability Test: IMR Enduron vs. Hodgdon Extreme - 06/26/16 04:23 PM

I could see cartridge design being a factor as well as case fill volume. I know several guys running 4451 lately with great results and a few running the Varget equivalent too in various cases from Dasher to the x47L.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum