Texas Hunting Forum

Storing materials

Posted By: jlsbassman

Storing materials - 06/16/16 09:07 PM

I have my reloading tools and materials setup in my storage shed outside. Wondering how hot in the storage shed is to hot to store materials(powder and primers)? Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. What effect will the heat have on the powder and primers?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Storing materials - 06/16/16 10:10 PM

All of my components are in an insulated, not cooled, steel building. No bad things have happened in several years, very consistent ammo is produced from those components, as well.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Storing materials - 06/16/16 11:21 PM

mines all inside an air conditioned walk-in closet

FiremanJG's nightmare, sorry, I wish I could afford a climate controlled "magazine"
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Storing materials - 06/16/16 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
mines all inside an air conditioned walk-in closet

Same here, do not know how long supplies will keep that way but have used some powder that was 20+ years old. Primers well used some CCI small rifle primers in plinking ammo that had a tag from Gibson's on the package priced at 75 cents. I have been loading 39 years and primers were a dollar per hundred when I started loading.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Storing materials - 06/17/16 01:07 AM

Air conditioned room...I'm not going to load ammo in the heat we have here during the summer.
Posted By: Ritter

Re: Storing materials - 06/17/16 02:48 AM

Modern powders and primers will last being stored like that especially if they are in new, unopened containers. It really takes extreme temperature and moisture to quickly degrade them.

I'm with Deerhunter, I don't like to sweat when I reload.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum